Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On a $500k to $700k budget - film or HD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mickey Munday View Post

just curious Tim, do you have experience shooting on film? i checked out your reel and it looked pretty cool. do u have anything in there shot on film?

I have some experince. I shot 2nd unit on a Feature.

Shoting film isnt so hard. ou jut need to keep an extra eye on Contrast ratios and making sure you shoot a color chart for the Lab to time properly.

I never got the footage i shot for the film. so no my reel does not reflect it.

FYI the feature was shot on S35 on an Arri BL4/BL3 for less than 50K. Thats why i say you can DEFINITELY do it on 500-700K. Its just that this film had ZERO room for errors. Any reshoot and the bank was broken.
    Cinematographer
    Sigma Pro

www.timurcivan.com 917-589-4424

Comment

Originally posted by jls4 View Post
      You should come to the Atlanta Screenwriters Group tonight. I'm going. I went off on AtlantaFilmCommunity.org about 3 months ago. Basically being upset with the influx of shorts without many features. Well one of the guys who participated in "the longest post on their website", wrote a screenplay based on what I said in the thread. I said if you can only do shorts, why not do a movie with 3 interconnected shorts. So he did. They are going to read it tonight. So I'm going.

is that whats called The Meet Up? one of my actors keeps telling me about it...i have some people in town this weekend and wont be able to make it, maybe next time around. did you get anything useful form the meetings? or is it kind of a whos got the biggest ^%^$ contest with egos and whatnot, lol

Comment

Originally posted by jls4 View Post
        Good Q - I'd like to know that too.
        A well known sales agent who has sold many movies is the easiest way to go, there are a lot of scumbags out there, one that has a good reputation will always have thier phone calls taken by the distributors. I sent Adam a referal for Corrado, I hope it pans out for him.

Comment

Originally posted by El Gato Negro View Post
          might suggest you shot it on a super 16mm. arri or aaton.
          I second that vote. How does 2k resolution, 4:4:4 color and 14 stops of latitude sound? You can get great deals on 16mm right now.

Comment

Originally posted by FilmBoy77 View Post
            is that whats called The Meet Up? one of my actors keeps telling me about it...i have some people in town this weekend and wont be able to make it, maybe next time around. did you get anything useful form the meetings? or is it kind of a whos got the biggest ^%^$ contest with egos and whatnot, lol
            I've never been to the meetups, although many of my actors are connected. I've learned to connect myself to the "main behind the scenes people." Lots of folks are connected to the Atlanta Film Fest. If the organization is not connected to them, OR the organization is not connected to another major festival in town, OR the organization doesn't help to really produce movies - I don't waste my time. If the people involved in a group, never do projects - what's the group for? So we can all sit around and look at each other

First Guy
            "Hey I want to direct!"

Second Guy
            "Wow I want to direct too!"

Together
            "Cool"

And unfortunately that's what most people do. They talk about it for 20 years, but never get around to it - blaming everything and their moma for stopping them. I'm broke, I need lots of money to make a movie, I don't have a script, I can't find actors, my appendix broke, blah blah blah
            Red Collar Studios (Home)
            Coming Correct (Baby's Mama Club) Feature (dvxuser) | The 24 Diary (dvxuser)

Comment

Originally posted by ChipG View Post
              A well known sales agent who has sold many movies is the easiest way to go, there are a lot of scumbags out there, one that has a good reputation will always have thier phone calls taken by the distributors. I sent Adam a referal for Corrado, I hope it pans out for him.
              I'm definately going to keep you in mind Chip. If all goes well when I have something strong, I'll send it to you so you can check it out. If I get a sell, I can definately give you a "thank you" point or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathyn View Post
                Action is hard to do but there are crews out there like the Stunt People (young guys too) dedicated to doing great action and are succeeding (Just look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu7YPUaQFcs ).
                D^mn that was hot!!!! And they are in North Carolina too! I told you the SouthEast is on the rise. Cali better watch out! LOL

But that's cool. I've been looking for some local people to help me with some stunts, maybe I can get them to make the 3 hour drive. Thanks for posting this Nathyn.

Comment

Originally posted by FilmBoy77 View Post
                  No. The Atlanta Screenwriters Group is different from the Meetup group in town. The meetup (I've never been but know the guy who started it) is to encourage filmakers in town to "meet up" swap stories and get involved with each other's projects, etc. I believe they've done some shorts based on meetup collabos etc.

The Atlanta Screenwriters Group www.atlscript.org is an organization that's been around 10+ years and we meet 2 times a month (1st & 3rd Thursdays) to do table reads of feature screenplays and give the writers feedback to help them improve their work.

The Atlanta Film Festival 365 organization sponsors our location to hold the meetings.

Lots of great screenwriters have been a part of ASG over the years. Many have been produced or won contests, etc.

No Shane Black's as yet but definitely some solid writers. Overall, though, even for newbies who get a reality check, I believe the group is a value to the membership who've kept us alive for more than 10 years now.

Martin Kelley
                  Co-President, Atlanta Screenwriters Group
                  Martin Kelley
                  blackhats blog http://blackhatsmovie.blogspot.com facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/blackhats/254404591292515
                  Producer, STEP OFF formerly Battle official site On DVD Now from Lionsgate!
                  Co-Writer, Immigration Tango On DVD Now from Lionsgate!
                  sigpic

Comment

People have had success shooting on 16mm and blowing it up to 35mm and you can say it was shot on film.

For Your Consideration was shot on super 16mm with a Arri SR3 camera and blown up to 35mm. Warner Brothers picked it up.

http://wip.warnerbros.com/foryourconsideration/

There have been a lot of films that have taken this approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Martay View Post
                      No. The Atlanta Screenwriters Group is different from the Meetup group in town. The meetup (I've never been but know the guy who started it) is to encourage filmakers in town to "meet up" swap stories and get involved with each other's projects, etc. I believe they've done some shorts based on meetup collabos etc.

The Atlanta Screenwriters Group www.atlscript.org is an organization that's been around 10+ years and we meet 2 times a month (1st & 3rd Thursdays) to do table reads of feature screenplays and give the writers feedback to help them improve their work.

The Atlanta Film Festival 365 organization sponsors our location to hold the meetings.

Lots of great screenwriters have been a part of ASG over the years. Many have been produced or won contests, etc.

No Shane Black's as yet but definitely some solid writers. Overall, though, even for newbies who get a reality check, I believe the group is a value to the membership who've kept us alive for more than 10 years now.

Martin Kelley
                      Co-President, Atlanta Screenwriters Group
                      Hey Martin, welcome to DVXuser!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathyn View Post
                        Not true. We're in a flooded market now. When 28 Days Later came out (2002) everything was SD anyway and HD was still to be desired by consumers and prosumers. In 2004/5 we got a slew of HDV/HD cameras. Now a kid with an HV20 and the right set up with the right amount of grey matter can make a great action film. I've seen some stuff on here done by young college guys just for fun that trumps my first film in "slickness" (camera movement and angles and looks).
                        I don't know how you think that is even possibly true. Yes - anyone can pick up a consumer camera and shoot. But you completely took your argument and flipped it on itself. It's easier for someone to get an HDV camera now and make HDV footage than it is to go SD in many ways. Everyone wants HDV on the consumer level.

But in the same stroke Hollywood is also using these consumer cameras. Look at crank 2.

So under your argument, an action film shot on a DVX won't go anywhere but the same film shot on the HVX will? Format doesn't matter. Maybe for final print - yes. In which case film can be seen worldwide. Whereas digital exhibition is only really in it's very infant states.

Just because a film was shot HD doesn't inherently make it better. I've seen footage from a RED. 4K (well - under 4K, but whatever) that looks like crap. I've seen stuff on 16mm look like crap. I've seen DVX footage look like crap. I've seen DVX footage look amazing. And XL2 footage look amazing. Cameras really mean nothing. Aside from the level of control.

Look at the new HD channels. Makeup and set design crew nightmare. They need to work harder than ever to pull off sets and costuming. Just because it is HD doesn't make it look any better.

Acquisition format will not matter. The only differential is film verses digital. SD verses HD doesn't make any difference in exhibition. Unless of course you are talking about a transfer for film.
                        "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
                        MKTG Film, Film Marketing 101

Comment

Thanks.

Good to be back. I hope I can keep up.
                          Martin Kelley
                          blackhats blog http://blackhatsmovie.blogspot.com facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/blackhats/254404591292515
                          Producer, STEP OFF formerly Battle official site On DVD Now from Lionsgate!
                          Co-Writer, Immigration Tango On DVD Now from Lionsgate!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mattykins View Post
                            I don't know how you think that is even possibly true. Yes - anyone can pick up a consumer camera and shoot. But you completely took your argument and flipped it on itself. It's easier for someone to get an HDV camera now and make HDV footage than it is to go SD in many ways. Everyone wants HDV on the consumer level.

But in the same stroke Hollywood is also using these consumer cameras. Look at crank 2.
                            Actually Crank 2 or (Cr2nk as they like to call it ) was the reason I wanted to go with the Canon XH-A1.

So under your argument, an action film shot on a DVX won't go anywhere but the same film shot on the HVX will?
                            Not my argument at all. My argument is that it has better chances. Basically shooting HD/HDV will open more doors. People aren't looking for reasons to buy, they're looking for reasons not to. There's plenty of material out there shot on HDV so buying the same material on DV might make some people decide against it.

Format doesn't matter. Maybe for final print - yes. In which case film can be seen worldwide. Whereas digital exhibition is only really in it's very infant states.
                            Overall this is easy to say but indeed I was turned down because my film was not shot on HD. This guy was a go between. He knew it wasn't shot on film and didn't even bother to ask. BUT after seeing it he wanted to know one simple question: Was it shot in HD. His argument was simple, not artist nor anything subjective. It was basic and pure. A lot of people are doing action and too many are doing horror. My movie was good, he liked the action. We had a good story, martial arts, gunfights and hot chicks (basically saleable product) BUT at the end of the day it comes down to his buyers (not specifically anyone else's) were looking for HD product. End of story

Now I know the action market - I am the action market. I'm making films I would buy. It can't get any easier as to making product that sales when you know what you yourself look for. My point is, next time out this won't happen again. We can't cover every base but this indeed is a simple one to cover.

Just because a film was shot HD doesn't inherently make it better. I've seen footage from a RED. 4K (well - under 4K, but whatever) that looks like crap. I've seen stuff on 16mm look like crap. I've seen DVX footage look like crap. I've seen DVX footage look amazing. And XL2 footage look amazing. Cameras really mean nothing. Aside from the level of control.
                            You are certainly right but it's not about any of that, it's simply about what the buyer wants. It's not even about what sales. How many films do you see flop because someone "thought" it could sale so they bought it. My stuff is by the numbers. I know that. And there's a reason "by the numbers" works. But everything has to be considered now. The third distributor didn't take it because they want names, period. (Or a good Latino comedy, take your pick).

I could've had a name but for personal reasons I won't go into I didn't want to deal with them. (And it had nothing to do with the talent themselves by the way). But as you say, there was NO question as to how it was shot. And I know for a fact that company pays.

Distributors who pay, ask for things up front. They want names upfront and they'll give you cash. Back alley distributors will hit you with the standard deal that equates to "Yes, we'll screw you." My film wasn't perfect by any means, but I know the score. They'll take it, package it for the "urban" community and sale a bunch of them. Now if you're lucky and make something that hits (maybe do a million in sales) they'll be calling you to work for them. Simple as that. I know the people who went through it and they told me the score and how they operate.

Look at the new HD channels. Makeup and set design crew nightmare. They need to work harder than ever to pull off sets and costuming. Just because it is HD doesn't make it look any better.
                            Not at all but it opens more doors. Since you bring up HD channels can you sale SD material to HD channels? No. So there's a possible door shut right there.

Acquisition format will not matter. The only differential is film verses digital. SD verses HD doesn't make any difference in exhibition. Unless of course you are talking about a transfer for film.
                            Not in exhibition but you have to go through a lot before you get to exhibition unless you're doing it yourself.

-Nate
                            Last edited by Nathyn; 12-05-2008, 01:37 PM.

MAKE YOUR MOVIE NOW!

Writer/Director/Producer/Editor/Composer/Prop Master/Action Hero
                            Canon T3i/Apple Final Cut Studio 2/After Effects CS3/Action Essentials 2/Garageband 4.1.2

The Fourth Beast-2003 | Wages of Sin -2007 | Epitaph: Bread and Salt -2011

Comment

Working...
                            X