Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My short film

Hi all

After almost a year(!) of hard work, my short film, entitled HYPE, is finally ready.

You are most welcome to watch it here if your heart so desires:

http://www.vimeo.com/1313258

I would like to thank all the fine people at DVX User for their kind help and advice during the making of this film.

Thank you, and god praise the World Wide Web.

Lior

hahaha i liked the writing, in the bar scene, was she green screened? were the people playing pool in the background really there? something about it looked keyed to me idk i could just be crazy. hahaha the ending put a smile on my face=]
    Loren Simons
    Senior Rig Technician
    Redrock Micro

(Account is Inactive as of 7/7/14)

Comment

That was good...liked the acting & camera work. I'm still laughing. It leaves you with a smile on your face!

sigpic

www.zazacast.com

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Nope, no green screens. All done the good old fashioned way, with real backgrounds.
        Last edited by Lynos; 07-14-2008, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Ha ha! Nice! I agree it did look greenscreened, though.

Comment

We lit and shot that scene so that we have a very clear foreground. Maybe that's why it seems like a green screen to you??

Comment

I liked it. As others mentioned the pool table looked green screened. I think it's a combination of using such a wide angle lens for a CU as it puts too much distance between the girl and the background (seems like you didn't have a choice though unless the bar was a set with moving walls) along with the background being a little too dark for my taste.
              I invented the "remove echo" audio filter. And only people that boom their actors closely get to use it.

Alex Donkle - Sound Designer -

Comment

It was hardly a set. But it wasn't a bar either. It was a party room dressed and lit to look more like a bar.

The whole film was shot with a wide angle lens plus a 35 MM lens adapter. That was the choice of my DP and I think it worked well for most of the film, maybe more so in the exteriors than in the interiors. We chose to leave it that way for visual consistency.

Hopefully, it's not too distracting. But hey, you try, you do, you learn, you apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynos View Post
                  It was hardly a set. But it wasn't a bar either. It was a party room dressed and lit to look more like a bar.

The whole film was shot with a wide angle lens plus a 35 MM lens adapter. That was the choice of my DP and I think it worked well for most of the film, maybe more so in the exteriors than in the interiors. We chose to leave it that way for visual consistency.

Hopefully, it's not too distracting. But hey, you try, you do, you learn, you apply.
                  The only negative comment I have, and this seems to be pretty standard, is lighting, lighting, lighting... (I haven't listened to the audio yet... but that's another place where many falter. Of course no-budget does have limitations on correcting or compensating for sound issues, but often people haven't even take a couple of measures to get better or sweeten sound...)

In the 'bar' scene, the black man didn't really have a good lighing setup. Lighting black people is different than for white people... I think a kicker light on the back side of the set to give a hint of glint on the black man's hair, to separate him from the background would have helped. And a side light on both sides when the shot is of the man behind the bar.

In the final scenes the black man's chin melds with his neck and chest in to one big glump. Some sort of bounce lighing to get in there would have benefited.

I realize that location shoot do have limitations, especially if one is doing a no-low-budget thing and taking advantage of people's generosity, so many things that could have been done if one had hours and days, just can't be done.

But a foldup reflector (car windshield screens work well if they have a silvery side...) that allows one to bounce light around would have been innocuous enough for most 'wild' locations. Like the initial sequence of the girls at the cafe... just a little more bounce in the under chin areas to compensate for the rather high lights coming from the ceiling. The white table doesn't seem to bounce enough light so it looks rather contrasty.

However, in the bar, and the final walk through the woods scenes it does appear that these were locations where a bit more time could have been spent.
                  Last edited by j1clark@ucsd.edu; 07-15-2008, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Lacked lightning pretty.. often!

HOWEVER

I think it was enjoyable and the story was quite funny so
                    take this with you and good luck in the future!
                    aka fo8filmer

Comment

As for the lighting issues: We did our best with the budget, locations and time we had. When we shot in the park, on both times, it was cloudy and the reflectors hardly made any difference.

I've learned some lessons, especially with regard to shooting outside. It's doesn't look as perfect as I would've liked it to be, but it could've been much worse - again, we worked hard to make the best of what we had.

Thanks for your comments.

Comment

As for the lighting issues: We did our best with the budget, locations and time we had. When we shot in the park, on both times, it was cloudy and the reflectors hardly made any difference.

I've learned some lessons, especially with regard to shooting outside. It's doesn't look as perfect as I would've liked it to be, but it could've been much worse - again, we worked hard to make the best of what we had.

Thanks for your comments.

Sure, and I was a bit reluctant to even post on the topic... and decided to overcome that reluctance because I think of all the things I see in the various 'shorts' or 'my film' offerings, lighting is one of the most 'missed' elements.

Good luck on your next film.

Comment

We had a professional Lowel lighting kit for the bar scene. I don't think the average YouTube short film uses that. But again, it wasn't really a bar, so we had to come up with ways to shoot it so you don't see things we didn't want to show. We used the lighting to mask parts of the room as well as light the principals. I think the lighting issues are much more problematic in the exteriors than in the interiors, although I do agree that the diner has several shots which have too much contrast with the overhead practicals (Reflectors helped little).

We just couldn't use artificial light for the exteriors. No way.

Comment

We just couldn't use artificial light for the exteriors. No way.

Here in So. Cal. we have the other problem, mostly... namely bright sunny days which cause most people to look like masks with black holes cut out for eyes. So screen on top and bounce on the bottom for 'guerrilla' type shoots.

On the coast one does run into those really grey days when the fog never really burns off.

Comment

hahaha that's really good.

really enjoyed it

Comment

Working...
                              X