DIY (Literally) Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY (Literally) Film

So, I'm working on a film project, and I'll be doing the majority of the writing, shooting, editing, lighting, etc myself. Hopefully I'll have at least one other person to help with setting up, sound etc. However, I've never done this, so I have some questions.

First, is there an accepted ratio of script length to shooting time? A lot of actors are asking what the time commitment will be like, and I'm not really sure. Most of them are full time students, and the shooting will have to be done in short sessions. Fortunately, it's mostly in one location.

And second, do you guys have any general advice for this kind of project?

Thanks!

My shooting ratio averages 15:1 (15 minutes of footage shot for every 1 minute of footage that ends up on film). How much time it actually takes to shoot vary widely depending on the complexity of the scene. I work with full time student actors frequently, and in my experience a 30 pages script can be shot in about three weeks if everyone pitches in 3-4 hours a day, 3 days a week and full days on weekends.
    "Local studio seeking young female actresses for short film in which they definitely will NOT be killed. Lack of identifying scars, dental records, or concerned family a plus. Payment to be discussed after shooting...uh...filming."

www.hiddendreamsmedia.com

Comment

Heart of Now was a 110 page screenplay. we shot for 22 days.

my advice would be to work backwards from what you know you can accomplish with the resources available to you. you have a certain amount of money? how many production days will that money afford you? visualize shooting the entire script, breakdown how much time you can see needing to get each scene done. give yourself plenty of prepro time where every day you are pushing the project forward in some way -- either auditioning or rewriting or scouting locations or negotiating deals on equipment or storyboarding or interviewing potential crew. there is a lot for one peson to do. any day you slack off is a day wasted.
      Last edited by Zak Forsman; 03-29-2008, 12:24 AM.
      See my movie DOWN AND DANGEROUS on iTunes!
      YOUTUBE :: INSTAGRAM :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB

Comment

if everyone is an amateur, it will take longer, eeryone will make more mistakes. Setting up can take forever, so go for fewer longer shooting sessions if you can. That also cuts down on continuity problems.

Last year I spent a day shooting 5 minutes of script, for two locations within one building.

Comment

I agree that if everyone you're working with is amateurs then it's going to take longer. For those of us on shoots that everyone knows what they're doing shooting 5 pages (of mostly dialog) a day is typical for a low budget films. So I'd say that in your planning, don't plan on shooting more then 5 pages in a day, then anymore you can shoot is just bonus.

Planning and prep is one of the most important things you can do, and even getting a few people to just help with the grunt work can be helpful. Practice your lighting skills so even if you have people that are just grunts at the very least you can say put this light there, this one there and this one there then you can fine tweak them after they pop them on the stands and get them plugged in and what not.

And lastly read read read. A couple books i would suggest are
          The Filmmaker's Handbook. (i read the 1999 edition this is the new one, i'm going to guess it's going to be just more modern stuff added) http://www.amazon.com/Filmmakers-Han...6840709&sr=8-2

Feature Filmmaking at Used Car Prices http://www.amazon.com/Feature-Filmma...6840840&sr=1-2

and Directing Shot by Shot
          http://www.amazon.com/Film-Directing...pd_sim_b_img_5

Comment

Working...
          X