Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens QUESTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens QUESTION

I have a remote focusing system. I like it, but I hate when I put on a new lens on it, and the focus ring spins and spins when the system tries to auto calibrate it (by setting the lenses focus limits). This causes me to have to manually set the limits, which is inconvenient. I know this is because I am working with Canon photography lenses and not cinema lens. Obviously, a cinema lens would be easier to use (because it has focus limits and teeth), but they are really expensive. Would this lens solve my problem:

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon EF $719

Not sure if it would spin, too???

Is there a better solution for that price? I like 18-35 for an all around good lens for my pocket 6k because it's NOT full frame.

Thanks for your help.
    What do you mean funny? Like a clown? Do I amuse you?! Huh??!!

Sigma ARTs have very stiff rings (at least until you loosen them up a bit over time), so would most likely spin as well.

Rokinon cinema lenses (and similar glass) would be best although there are no zooms in that price range.

[Could also look into much better 0.8 gear rings for photo lenses.]

Comment

Good point. But then if I have to change lenses, that takes time, too. LOL.

I do see this: Rokinon Cine DS Wide-Angle Lens Kit for APS-C (Canon EF) $2,546. 10, 16, 24, 35mm Lenses Cover APS-C

It would solve my problems, but it's expensive.

This is on sale:

Rokinon 24, 35, 50, 85mm T1.5 Cine DS Lens Bundle for Canon EF Mount $1,596

but I worry with the crop factor, those will be too tight.

Comment

There's no crop factor if you're using them on one camera. The lenses remain the same, and only the sensor size affects their field of view.

Every lens in that set would look the same as every focal length in the Sigma's 18-35mm on your Blackmagic.

And those bundles have been on sale for like 5 years. lol. They come and go.

(P.S. The Sigma is a much sharper lens if it matters, but the Rokinons have a great look stopped down a bit.)

Comment

The Sigma is definitely better glass. But it's a fairly limited range for a zoom.

A Rokinon 24mm and a Sigma zoom set to 24mm will have identical fields of view, assuming they were both used on cameras with Super-35 sized sensors. A lens does not have a crop factor, that term is only used in comparing two sensors.
          Mitch Gross
          Prolycht Lighting
          NYC

Comment

So my go to lens on my pocket 6k is the canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8 zoom. So are you saying that the Cine DS Lens Bundle (24, 35, 50, 85mm T1.5) would just be slightly tighter than my current zoom at 17? Like 17mm vs 24mm? I was somehow imagining that the 24 was going to be closer to a 50mm.

Comment

It is a common misconception.

Your Canon EF-S 17-55mm @ 17mm - a full-frame Rokinon 17mm (if it existed) - an APS-C Sigma 17mm (if it existed) - an APS-C Tokina 10-17mm @ 17mm would all look identical on your pocket 6K.

Comment

Thank you for helping me understand that!

Comment

And to elaborate on the other end...

HOWEVER, if you put the full-frame Rokinon 17mm on a Sony FX6 (and the camera was operating in its full-frame mode), it would NOT look the same if the Pocket 6K had the same Rokinon 17mm lens and both cameras were in almost identical positions (one on top of the other).

The FX6's image would be much wider (especially since the Pocket 6K has a smaller S35-sized sensor).

Comment

Great info, guys. I appreciate your help.

Comment

One more thing, so how do you guys think the Cine DS Lens Bundle will compare with the quality of my Canon 17-55? The Rokinon's are faster, but it sounds like they need to be closed down to 2.8. Other than having lens teeth and lens limits, are there any other benefits?

Comment

The DS line is supposed to have a better coating and a better match in quality with the others (via better quality-control) than the regular Rokinons & company.

Most importantly, the DS gears are all in the same location on the barrels so you don't have to alter your follow-focus.

Visually, you'd be hard-pressed to see a difference between them and the old Canon. (But I would say the faster Rokinons look better @2.8-4 than the 17-55mm @2.8.)

Comment

Originally posted by thefilmaddict View Post
                          I have a remote focusing system. I like it, but I hate when I put on a new lens on it, and the focus ring spins and spins when the system tries to auto calibrate it (by setting the lenses focus limits). This causes me to have to manually set the limits, which is inconvenient.
                          What system do you have?
                          robnortondp.com

Comment

I have the edelkrone focus module and PD MOVIE LIVE AIR.

Comment

Originally posted by thefilmaddict View Post
                              One more thing, so how do you guys think the Cine DS Lens Bundle will compare with the quality of my Canon 17-55? The Rokinon's are faster, but it sounds like they need to be closed down to 2.8. Other than having lens teeth and lens limits, are there any other benefits?
                              You can get away with the Rokinons at f/2, but yes, they're very clean at f/2.8. Wide open, they're pretty soft. But I don't think that's as big of a problem as the chromatic aberration. Wide open, they look like someone drew all over your frame with a purple marker. But some lenses are better than others. The 50mm is pretty solid wide open, and the 85mm isn't awful.

You may be able to correct the CA in post. My Sony A7SIII does it in-camera (on Rokinon FE lenses, not the Cine DS bundle which I own in EF mount).

But the larger issue is that the look is probably substantially different on the Rokinons. I think they have a gentle look, almost vintage. But what's not vintage is the flare control, which is quite well done. Canon L lenses have even stronger flare control, but that may be a bad thing if you want flares.

I really like the Rokinon look, personally.

Do you have vignetting problems on the 17-55 at 17mm? You wouldn't have any vignetting on the Rokinons, if that's a consideration.

PS I don't think their 14mm is very well-designed. I got the 16mm instead. (I have cine DS 16/24/35/50/85/135)

You may also want to look at ebay or lensauthority to get a deal. And you could always buy a wide-angle lens separately from the kit you purchase. All cine DS Rokinons should be matched.
                              www.VideoAbe.com

"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." -Harvey

Comment

Working...
                              X