No announcement yet.

Mysterious Rainbow Filter ?? 🌈🌈

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A thousand years ago... well back the '60s and early '70s the heyday of psychedelia... who remembers those days! All sorts of people wanted trippy sorts of images so innovation was the order of the day. We used to get similar results using clear Skylight or UV filters by placing small dots of various colors of that transparent colored nail varnish in various patterns to create various effects. Mainly just little dots or lines. With the Cokin series, we could actually stack two or three different "psychedelic" creations together and get various effects. We also made some creations by shooting penlights shot through colored gels through holes in black Art card sheets and shooting them with 5 x 4" on neg film. Totally dark room, the shutter on 'T' and just multiple momentary clicks on and off through different colored gels with the penlight did the job. Colors reversed of course when developed. You could then use the developed 5 x 4" Neg sheet as an FX filter. We also used to do the same using Reversal film.

If I had to create something like what you are describing today I would take a totally different approach. I would create the sort of color matrix I wanted in say Photoshop. Then I would print those colored grid matrices onto OHP Copier Transparency Film which are acetate sheets, like film stock that are used for overhead slide presentations. Remember them? Full transparency ones are available in A4 sheet size which would give you really good-sized sheets to clip into a frame for shooting through at various angles, distances, etc. Clean easy achievable and pretty cheap to accomplish as most of us have access to a color laser A4 printer somewhere. Those of us who learned on film were very used to shooting through Wratten filters

Photoshop PSD matrix

Filter rinbow matrix.jpg

Locally I would get it here but there must be a zillion places around the globe you can get it. At least this will give you an idea of what I would use.

https://www.meter.com.au/presentatio...nsparencyfilm/

Another idea I would pursue would be to use some of the clear film acetate and use colored nail varnish or felt-tip pens and you may get similar results. Or a clear 4 x 4" or 4 x 5.6" matte box filter with colored nail varnish or colored felt tip pens.

Chris Young
    Last edited by cyvideo; 02-21-2021, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JPNola View Post
      I was not suggesting it is.
      Iíve reached out to the Director of that ad. If he responds with an answer I will share it.
      1. Holy Moses! How do you remember which ad it is, and whose the director? Wow, very impressive, man!
      Yea, many years ago I tried contacting some people I could find online that were part of this jeans ad, yet, my message didn't come through (getting a hold of James franco, yea, quite tough).

2. Your whole Glass vs. Acrylic idea is very interesting. The fact you spotted it from such a tiny BTS image is impressive.
      But, what does it really mean that it's acrylic? Any chance this filter was especially made for this (hence, rare)? Maybe it's just an experimental one, or was originally created not for cinematography?
      There are many filters out there that are made for studying physics, not photography / cinematography. So, I wonder if that is why it's hard to find it. Since, no Cokin or Lee or Schneider made it.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
        Darn, this one is a tough find. If it's not a custom-job or something super vintage, I'm thinking it's transparent holographic adhesive foil with a random pattern that's on a clear rectangular filter or some acrylic glass plate. (There is so much DIY in this particular area of photography.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]142484[/ATTACH]
        1. Very nice finds, man.
        Again, as I said- you could see from the BTS shots the ACTUAL filter! So, whenever you spot a square glass with diagonal etched lines (they feel etched, but, there's a chance that it's a translucent film layer stuck to an acrylic/glass so maybe we need to look for that).
        You can see it in motion, in the first shots here:

2. Also, your eBay find is interesting, even thought that glass is not it. These are the pieces of glass I was talking about which relate to the optics / physics world. I have no clue what they're used for, really.

3. The interesting thing here is- the pattern of the filter! From such a symmetrical patterned etched lines filter = I would expect it to create a boring symmetrical effect [like the sample with the red "X" on my original 1st post].
        But, despite that- it creates the most random, organic RGB spot pattern I'd ever seen (you just gotta hold it in front of the sun, as later in the video- you can see the side-effect it has. The diagonal lines reveal themselves in foggy white pattern). Anyways, the randomness is amazing.

Comment

Definitely appears holographic-like...the pattern disappears at a certain angle/light.

Might have nothing to do with photography/videography and be one of those optical illusion gift gadgets sold in places like Brookstone, etc.

Comment

Definitely appears holographic-like...the pattern disappears at a certain angle/light.

Might have nothing to do with photography/videography and be one of those optical illusion gift gadgets sold in places like Brookstone, etc.
            Good idea for a keyword, man!
            It made me look out for "Holographic" and I got some interesting links.
            Seems like a direction for keywords is around:

Adhesive + Holographic + Transparent / Translucent + Overlay + Film + Grating Diffraction

Sticker film:
            https://tinyurl.com/16mn9hr5
            For Windows:
            https://tinyurl.com/1416snww

Thing is...you can't know if those things have a real effect of diffracting light. They could just be stickers with a faint rainbow reflection in light. That's why I believe glass / acrylic, as it's part of the glass itself- has the most chances to refract light and not look like a milky stain on a glass [as a sticker might].

Comment

Some time had passed, so I'm refreshing the thread. Still didn't find this filter.... :\

Comment

Would be better to find a method of communication with anyone on the shoot...someone must be out there who can ask a friend of a friend.

As far as we know, this could be a piece from a doll house. (It's not but it's just an obscure part.)

Comment

Disappointing that a DP does not respond to email asking about his technique. And this isn’t the first DP to fail to respond to inquiry from me.

I hope I never get so “big” that I ignore fans of my work and cannot be bothered to help others learn the craft.
                  Sachtler tripod user for 40+ years.

Comment

Disappointing that a DP does not respond to email asking about his technique. And this isn’t the first DP to fail to respond to inquiry from me.

I hope I never get so “big” that I ignore fans of my work and cannot be bothered to help others learn the craft.
                    I think people have a right to keep techniques mysterious. You also don't know why you haven't been responded to.

You should give yourself more credit - the suggestions you, NorBro and Chris provided are fantastic and potentially more valuable than the likely response of "we experimented with dozens of filters then found this random wacky rainbow pattern".
                    robnortondp.com

Comment

Would be better to find a method of communication with anyone on the shoot...someone must be out there who can ask a friend of a friend.

As far as we know, this could be a piece from a doll house. (It's not but it's just an obscure part.)
                      Hey buddy!
                      I tried to look out for some credits on this ad, yet, besides James Franco [which is impossible to get a hold of, of course], I couldn't really find other relevant crew members.
                      I do think I tried reaching some relatives of James, but, come on....there's zero chance to reach 'em via a random email without any contacts.

Comment

Thanks for the support, buddy!
                        I don't expect any top secrets to be shared with me. A general guide would be much appreciated. I didn't see this effect anywhere else and I didn't see anyone trying to recreate it.
                        What I do know is that I've been cracking my head for years trying to figure this out, since I really connect to this effect and I have no idea what material could achieve it.
                        Also amazed this riddle is also uncrackable to other professionals here. That's why it's a mystery filter...

Comment

Working...
                        X