Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Sing Ray Variable ND filter really worth it? (over a tiffen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the Sing Ray Variable ND filter really worth it? (over a tiffen)

I shoot with a variable ND filter on all the time, attached via Xume. Never noticed a problem with the Tiffen, but never tasted better. Is the Sing Ray really worth 3x the price as the Tiffen? Why or why not?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...e_Neutral.html

Thanks!

No one? I could've sworn I've heard this filter mentioned before on this forum but can't seem to find the thread(s) on search?

I also know there are some other like the Genus Eclipse, etc.

Comment

Here or on the Blackmagic forum I saw a very detailed comparison of these plus a few others.

YES, the Sing Ray was better, but not a TON better. So not worth three times the price.
      The Genus Eclipse was no better than the Tiffen.
      But the SLR Magic VariND was definitely better than all but the Sing Ray, and cheaper by a lot.
      __________________________________________________ ____________________
      Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
      Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
      Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

I have the Sing Ray, the Eclipse, the Tiffen & the Heliopan...

Not using anymore the Sing Ray as it's the first one I get and the "not so strong coating for the price" took some scratches, and a kind of unremovable condensation inside... but while being good, it was not any better than the Tiffen in my memory! (totally un-scientific I know!-)
        Not using the Eclipse or just for risky shooting, coz it's not that good in sharpness & color shift.
        My actual setup: large Tiffen for wide angle: the design with the glass really bigger than the 82mm thread (with thin step down rings) make it very good for that, even on a 14mm...
        For anything longer than 24, the Heliopan which is hands down the best I tested with almost not hit on sharpness and very few on color shift... Pricey but winner!

Then, when not in Run & Gun situation, a screw in holder with Tiffen 4x4 plain NDs or gradients works even better... at the price of time setup and careful manipulation!

Next step will be to get rid of those bloody NDs with an Electronic ND to rule them all!-)

Comment

Thank you, I ordered the SLR magic variable ND for $129.99 on BH... looks like a good deal, and if anything, should hopefully be a step up from the Tiffen.

Comment

Originally posted by PYL View Post
            Not using anymore the Sing Ray as it's the first one I get and the "not so strong coating for the price" took some scratches, and a kind of unremovable condensation inside...
            I noticed the same thing on one of my Tiffen's, the sort of unremovable condensation inside. Not sure what caused it, but it seemed to happen after someone touched it in the center to move it. I think they may have had suncreen on their hands or something. No idea, but I have not been able to remove it. Anyone know what this could be?

Comment

Working...
            X