Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried the new ND Fader + Polarizer in one, from Genustech?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone tried the new ND Fader + Polarizer in one, from Genustech?

Solar Eclipse ND Fader $199 for the 77mm

"Genus are proud to announce the launch of the Solar Eclipse, a dual purpose filter comprising of a variable Neutral Density Filter AND a Circular Polariser. Both elements are individually adjustable to suit your shooting conditions and control the amount of light going through the lens.The combined variable ND & Circular Polariser have several uses and offer the possibility to achieve other unachievable results.
    • Flexible Light Control without the need to change filters
    • Easily rotatable to fine tune the amount of light entering your lens Circular Polariser element is also rotatable to find the perfect position of polarisation
    • Variable Neutral Density from 2-8 stops
    • Superior Colour fidelity & optical clarity
    • Optical Glass elements are HD laser treated
    • Ideal for both photo and video
    • Expands your creative options
    • Create motion blur in your photos by increasing exposure with ease
    • Enhance your videos by reducing depth of field to achieve the film look
    • Super thin expanded front element to minimize vignetting
    • Comes with a Micro-Fibre cleaning cloth
    • Comes with a rotation extension handle"

Footage:

https://youtu.be/fZEoWsiClpc

Not a fan of VND but I do carry some Heliopan(s) just in case something were to happen to my solid NDs.

If you have a good VND, & want the functionality of the Genus Solar Eclipse, you could always mount it to a Xume Adapter. The Xume is a magnetic adapter that allows quick filter swaps, & when used with a VND the entire filter can be rotated to optimize it's polarization.

The only downsides would be that you cannot attach a hood directly to the VND, & the Xume moves the filter slightly further away from the front optic, so might induce a vignette with super wide-angle lenses.

http://www.xumeadapters.com
    Last edited by Bern Caughey; 08-04-2016, 02:41 PM. Reason: Added link

Comment

Thanks for the link Bern, these are a really smart design. I generally don't use hoods so nor worries there.
      It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
      G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Comment

Originally posted by puredrifting View Post
        Thanks for the link Bern, these are a really smart design. I generally don't use hoods so nor worries there.
        Witout a bayonet mounted hood, or similar, there's the risk the filter could get knocked off it it takes a hit.

Comment

Working...
        X