RPlens - Cine Modded lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPlens - Cine Modded lenses

I'm trying to save £30,000 that I don't have by not getting cine primes that I can't afford. These sets of cine modded lenses over at RPlens.com - http://rplens.com/index.php/products - seem great. They have a Zeiss ZF package that looks amazing, leaving me a bigger chunk of money to get other things that I need.

Obviously these aren't perfect, but I do a variety of jobs, from solo or with one assistant, to bigger jobs with focus puller. For solo stuff I can ignore the issues.

But from the point of view of a professional camera assistant or a focus puller, would you be pissed off at having to pull on lenses with a shorter focus rotation?

What are the options of remote controlled focussing systems that would effectively increase the focus rotation? Are there any options that could do this when I'm going solo?

Also, are there any good cine modded zoom lenses out there that people would recommend?

Thanks

Originally posted by leeburnett View Post
    from the point of view of a professional camera assistant or a focus puller, would you be pissed off at having to pull on lenses with a shorter focus rotation?
    Might be an issue, along with their bassakwords focus rotation.

Have a look at the GL optics rehoused zooms.

http://www.cinemaglass.com

Comment

Ah didn't realise they were backwards rotation, that's too big a compromise really.

They look amazing, I've never come across them before but that sits a lot better with me at $13,000 for the prime kit. What are the fundamental differences in function between those and a true cine lens? I doubt the difference affects me much but I'd like to know.

Comment

You know standard size hard fronts and focus gears can be added to almost any lens for much less than some of these places offer as package deals, if money is tight.

Comment

I described my DIY cinefy process and posted a picture of my Leica-R set over here.

Comment

If your primary concern about using still lenses is the focus rotation, consider purchasing a wireless lens controller. These will effectively re-map the throw of a still lens so that it will perform the same as a cine lens (300 plus degrees rotation on the knob), and reverse the throw if needed (Nikons etc). I've used one on Zeiss ZE's for some years and they effectively transform them into CP2's. They work best with lenses that have mechanical focus barrels vs the drive-by-wire type.

Plus of course you gain the benefit of a remote focus control, indispensable for stabilizers, helpful for handheld and general use. The vast majority of working AC's prefer to pull remotely these days.

The least expensive units I can personally recommend are the Bartech and Axis 1, coming in around the $5K range (although you can find used Bartechs if you hunt), which ain't peanuts but cheaper than buying a set of cine primes. There are a growing number of less expensive products appearing on the market, I haven't personally tested them but there are threads here and elsewhere on those.
            Last edited by CharlesPapert; 11-06-2014, 06:37 AM.
            Charles Papert
            charlespapert.com

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesPapert View Post
              If your primary concern about using still lenses is the focus rotation, consider purchasing a wireless lens controller. These will effectively re-map the throw of a still lens so that it will perform the same as a cine lens (300 plus degrees rotation on the knob), and reverse the throw if needed (Nikons etc). I've used one on Zeiss ZE's for some years and they effectively transform them into CP2's. They work best with lenses that have mechanical focus barrels vs the drive-by-wire type.

Plus of course you gain the benefit of a remote focus control, indispensable for stabilizers, helpful for handheld and general use. The vast majority of working AC's prefer to pull remotely these days.

The least expensive units I can personally recommend are the Bartech and Axis 1, coming in around the $5K range (although you can find used Bartechs if you hunt), which ain't peanuts but cheaper than buying a set of cine primes. There are a growing number of less expensive products appearing on the market, I haven't personally tested them but there are threads here and elsewhere on those.
              The Axis 1 is amazing. The best single channel wireless ff out there, outside of a preston single channel, and in someways the Axis-1 is better than a Preston. The reciever is rather small and it has the fastest auto calibration I've ever seen. Been using them for over a year, and own one.

If cinematography wasn't infinite, I'm sure I would have found the end by now.

Comment

I agree, the auto-calibration is shockingly fast, and the system turns a lens faster than anything else I've seen (with a big studio zoom like the 12-1, it's a jaw-dropper). I've been a supporter of Peter Hoare (owner of Hocus Focus) since his first unit and he's done a great job. Jim Bartell has a long-proven product and has taken care of his customers well. That's why I feel comfortable endorsing both products. My Prestons are long paid-off and great earners for me, plus they are industry-standard in the US. Can't go wrong with any of them.

That said, the race to the bottom is well underway with inexpensive wireless systems both vaporware and shipping, and one or more of those may turn out to actually be well-built.
                Charles Papert
                charlespapert.com

Comment

Hi,

I have the Canon 5 lens standard speed set.
                  I love it and can recommend it absolutely.

The FD's miss the clinical sharpness of the Zeiss but are
                  very nice given their pricepoint.

We used them on a BMCC for a feature film shooting with
                  great success.

Comment

The one issue with using FD mount lenses is the focal flange distance prevents you from using them with some modern mount systems like Canon EF for example.

Comment

Focus rotation is a concern, but not my only one. Focus breathing and generally the image shifting around while focussing is another (the thing that's really bugging me about the stills lenses I've used before). But the biggie for me is having a set of lenses that render a similar image, same colour, same sharpness, same bokeh, and I know that if I try and source my own set of lenses I'm probably not going to have the same amount of success as I've heard the guy at RP does.

If I go for the ZF package from RPLens, I feel that this will overcome these problems, but correct me if I'm wrong? Do you think I could source a good set of ZF or Lomo-R lenses for a lot less?

If I can do that and save some money without sacrificing too much, then I can put more money towards some lighting/remote FF/grip gear, which will add a lot more strength to my kit than spending a few thousand more on my lenses.

What other competitive options for a remote FF are you talking about, would be good to know if any cheaper newcomers are really able to compete with the Hocus Pocus stuff... £3,500 is a bit steep for my budget, but if it's worth it I'll save up.

Comment

Working...
                      X