Monitors vs wet conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitors vs wet conditions

For off camera monitors around 7 inches, what do people use for rain protection?

Let's break it into two categories - soft and hard.

Soft

Softer material draped over the monitor like clear plastic similar to camera covers. Several monitor specific rain covers look pretty good but seem like they were designed before widespread wireless monitoring was common, i.e. snug fit for a perfect rectangle but less accommodating for handles and receivers etc.

This type of rain cover is best used if unexpected rain hits but you need to keep shooting. The downside is the plastic will eventually get drops and obstruct the vision, which isn't a major deal if continuing to shoot in poor conditions is more of a bonus rather than absolutely critical, so it should be good enough.

I found this extra large clear bag, which could perfectly fit my set up but I haven't bought it yet.

Hard

T
    his is the better option if inclement weather is known ahead of time where you set it up once and are good for the day.

I'm most interested in what others have to say about these solutions because I'm thinking about making one myself. I'm assuming you can't just close a monitor/battery/rx in a hard case because of heat issues? A non-ventilated milk crate with clear plastic seems like it'd offer adequate protection, heat dissipation and avoid drops on the plastic (if it's recessed undercover slightly and not flush with the exterior).

As usual, I expect Sam Morgan Moore has already gone down this path and can share some design knowledge - an engineer who lives in a rainy place!

Some may be asking if monitoring wirelessly, why not view from a dry place? Sometimes it's not that easy and a Director needs to be close to the action or there aren’t any under cover areas.
    Last edited by rob norton; 04-29-2022, 01:42 PM.
    robnortondp.com

I have a dedicated camera coat which fits my C500MKII with a monitor attached. Frankly though, a brolly and a friend to hold it works 99% of the time.

Brolly.jpg
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

Comment

I've always just used the clear plastic "camera covers" you can pick up from Panavision. Just drop one over the top and add a couple of clamps to tidy it up.

Just make sure there's room for some air flow, so condensation and the heat from the monitors/wireless recievers doesn't cause issues.
      DREAMSMITHS | SHOWREEL | INSTAGRAM
      www.dreamsmiths.com.au

Comment

Thanks grug, do you know if it's the CAP IT! brand?

I just ordered this large, clear "stadium approved" bag, which I think will fit the 7 inch monitor with handles/everything else.

bag.jpg
        robnortondp.com

Comment

Originally posted by rob norton View Post
          Thanks grug, do you know if it's the CAP IT! brand?

I just ordered this large, clear "stadium approved" bag, which I think will fit the 7 inch monitor with handles/everything else.

bag.jpg
          That bag looks tidy.

The ones at Panavision aren't "Cap It", they're made of a much thicker plastic (you won't see any of those micro-creases in them that you can see in the Amazon photos). The elastic bottom on the Cap It ones does look handy though - so might be worth trying out. I think those little creases from the thin plastic, would be a nightmare for looking at a monitor though.
          DREAMSMITHS | SHOWREEL | INSTAGRAM
          www.dreamsmiths.com.au

Comment

Working...
          X