Smartphones cinematography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smartphones cinematography

Sorry if I put this question here, but the forum does not seem to have a specific sector where to discuss cinematography, particularly lenses and such, when shooting with smartphones.

Can or should we talk about that here?

You can definitely talk about that here. You may also consider sending a message to Noel Evans to request adding a subforum for that topic
    www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by carlmart View Post
      Sorry if I put this question here, but the forum does not seem to have a specific sector where to discuss cinematography, particularly lenses and such, when shooting with smartphones.

Can or should we talk about that here?
      smart phones and computational image capture are coming.

Cellphones certainly have been on the outskirts, and we only just got good mirroless cameras finally.

But would be nice to have something cellphone specific.

Comment

Speaking of. Why is it Apple makes better camera demos than most camera companies?
        Last edited by Chris Santucci; 01-18-2022, 07:42 AM.
        Indie Film Technique
        Apex Visuals

Comment

I've got a Sony Xperia Pro-I coming that I'm hoping will replace (for me) my current smartphone and go pro, for an "everyday carry" that will work better with the FX6 footage.

Comment

Originally posted by jmone View Post
            I've got a Sony Xperia Pro-I coming that I'm hoping will replace (for me) my current smartphone and go pro, for an "everyday carry" that will work better with the FX6 footage.
            looking forward to that!

Comment

I'll post some test footage when I've got it and worked out all the bells and whistles.

Comment

Originally posted by jmone View Post
                I'll post some test footage when I've got it and worked out all the bells and whistles.
                that will be awesome!

Comment

OK, let's ask some questions.

The first question is how to get a "normal" perspective from a smartphone. Some say using a 2X add on lens over the phone wide angle lens will get you there, or close to it.

The second is what to use, if it already exists, as graduated or polarizer filters, and how to hold them up front.

I have some questions about audio handling, which is limited when using Android cameras, but that should be asked in the audio section, shouldn't it?

I'm planning to shoot small shorts in my neighborhood, which is a Rio de Janeiro beach, so I will also investigate how to protect the whole smartphone from wind and sand.

A screen shade seems also essential to me, and it seems unrealistic to me how smartphones are usually shown in sometimes expensive gimbals without a good sunshade protecting the screen from the sun, considering most screens do not have anti-reflection protection.

Comment

Here are some simple, cheap and useful examples for screen shades

https://shadysmart.com/

https://www.amazon.com/TFY-Universal.../dp/B072JPDSSP

To this you should add a matte screen protection to your phone, like this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...rch-mainSearch

Comment

OK, the next task was to look for a pola screen that can be used or designed for a smartphone.

Now we are entering into a more sophisticated area, because you may want to use this add-on directly over the camera lens or to filter a lens add-on.

So you either select the pola filter for the lenses you have or buy a lens kit you already know the pola screen can be used with. This one is one case:

https://www.amazon.com/bitplay-Advan.../dp/B01NCQ5M87

Comment

Originally posted by James0b57 View Post
                        that will be awesome!
                        I've got the Sony Xperia Pro-I and started a thread - https://www.dvxuser.com/forum/sony-v...y-xperia-pro-i

Comment

Can anyone recommend a sub-$500 smartphone that has decent video? By that I mean some manual image control and decent DR. It can be Android or IOS. I currently have an Iphone 7 which is a low light dog. My main use would be for impromptu shooting and having a decent device in venues where professional cameras aren't permitted (for example I'm shooting an NBA documentary and pro cams aren't allowed in MSG). Thanks

Comment

buy a used iPhone from XS on up.

They go used and refurbished for under $500 easily

Comment

Originally posted by James0b57 View Post
                              buy a used iPhone from XS on up.

They go used and refurbished for under $500 easily
                              Thanks, James. Would you recommend an XS over X?

Comment

Working...
                              X