The New Lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The New Lens

The past couple years have seen an influx of new lenses. I used to only worry about learning a new camera every few months, now i am finding myself figuring out quirks of new lenses, some of which have no history and no knowledge base to help.

Starting this thread to discuss new releases and any user feedback. Feel free to mention any lens new or old in this thread. There are plenty of obscure vintage lenses that find a “new” place in the field. Arri DNA and Lomo rehoused are examples of repurposing or updating older lenses or designs. However, lenses like Zeiss Super Speeds, Ultra Primes, and Cookes have been around and discussed in great detail. So, talking about them is kind of redundant. They are however great lenses to use as references and bench marks when talking about the newer ones and obscure ones.

Also feel free to discuss any new tech that would/could even make traditional lenses obsolete. This is an ongoing discussion about the tools that are in the first chain of image capture. So, even though computer generated characters could theoretically replace traditional image capture, it is such a different way of going about it, that would be outside the scope of this thread and be a bit of a waste of time. However, talking about holograms or 3D, is fine. It is at least remotely related. The primary intention of this thread is to discuss lenses as we know them todday: optical devices that project an image onto a 2D capture device. But naturally converaaion will drift into other avenues.

We are increasingly required to use lenses that we have never used before, and may never use again. Even getting a prep day is not enough time to figure out all of the variables involved with some lenses. Many of the cheaper new lenses don’t have much accurate information beyond marketing material.
    Last edited by James0b57; 08-02-2019, 10:29 AM.

New Lenses:

Atlas Orion anamorphic
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...post1986797771
    Blackwing7
    SLR Magic APO and Hyper primes
    https://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/20...ic-quick-test/
    Masterbuilt
    Oh geez: Sirui 1.33x 50mm anamorphic: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/e...nematic-side#/
    Vega
    dulens
    Primo 70
    Zeiss Supreme “Radiance”
    Xeen CF
    P+S Technik anamorphic
    Tokina Vista
    Canon CN-E
    Canon Sumire
    Sigma Cinema
    Sigma Classic
    Foton/DZO
    Veydra (and variations of)
    Vazen 85mm T2.8 1.8X FF Anamorphic PL/EF
    Leica Cinema
    Spirit Lab
    Laowa macro 24mm
    Leits Prime and Zoom large format lenses
    https://www.leitz-cine.com/products
    Angenieux EZ
    White Point Optics
    Xeen and Xeen CF
    Zeiss otis/milvus/cp.3/CZ etc
    Zeiss Supreme/Radiance
    Arri Signature
    Glas Werk anamorphic
    Samyang Meister
    Irix Cine lenses (ff35)
    https://irixlens.com/cine-lenses/cine-lenses-45mm/
    DZO Vespid LF cine prime lenses
    Arri Signature now has a full range of zoom lenses

Cinema Zooms:
    Takumi 23.9?24.9-95 T2.9 s35 zoom
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...post1986797524
    Fujinon Premista 28-100mm T2.9 FF35 zoom (so good this lens!)
    Cooke Varitol
    DZO
    Leica

Auto focus lenses:
    Sony G Master
    Canon R

Rehousing Companies:
    TLS
    White Point Optics
    P+S
    Zero Optik
    Van Diemen
    G.L. Optics

AKS in the optical path:
    Tilta Filter mount for Red. Currently a Variable ND in the filter tray.

Kippertie Revolva for Red DSMC2, diffusion and ND internal filter mount.

Will update as we go along, and i will try to attach links to each lens in relation to the first post about them, and possibly helpful web references and/or other threads.
    Last edited by James0b57; 11-29-2021, 11:38 AM.

Comment

If there is an interesting lens you recently used, or are about to use a lens you have questions about, post in this thread.

Comment

Bulletin board - Revolving events or mention of new releases:

Duclos mentioned that the Zeiss Supreme “Radiance” lenses will end orders in early March?
        Last edited by James0b57; 02-26-2020, 09:14 PM.

Comment

CN-E series are the only ones that enable Dual Pixel Focus Guide on C200/300/700.

Is there a possibility to program Leica R to EF adapter to fool them thinking there is CN-E on them?

Comment

Work slow for you, is it?
            Sachtler tripod user for 40+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by JPNola View Post
              Work slow for you, is it?
              Ah, dayum, good one JP!
              It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
              G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Comment

Originally posted by puredrifting View Post
                Ah, dayum, good one JP!
                I thought we were friends? Haha

Yeah, he has written a few zingers. He deletes some of them. He wrote me a nasty dm. It is starting to creep me out.

Comment

Here’s one for the list...Atlas Orion Anamorphics https://atlaslensco.com
                  --
                  Ed Araquel - Photographer, SMPSP
                  http://edaraquel.com
                  Sony F65, 2 - A7RIII, A6500 and a mixed bag of Nikon, E mount, and PL mount lenses
                  Instagram: @edaphotographer

Comment

Originally posted by James0b57 View Post
                    I thought we were friends? Haha

Yeah, he has written a few zingers. He deletes some of them. He wrote me a nasty dm. It is starting to creep me out.
                    Sometimes DVXUsers need to give each other good natured ribbing, all in good fun.
                    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
                    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Comment

Originally posted by puredrifting View Post
                      Sometimes DVXUsers need to give each other good natured ribbing, all in good fun.
                      Absolutely agree.

Comment

I was recently asked to work on a project, and the producer asked me what i thought of the lens. I had never used it before, so i declined any thoughts on the matter, and said “it is alright”. It got the job done, and had some quirkiness. Some of which was user error, and some of which could have been the lens or the camera. But i am not going to definitively decide my opinions about a tool without spending more time with it. That got me thinking, there are enough lenses introduced in the last several years that seem to live only in the “marketing” tier. Not a lof of real user feedback. Some reviewer gets a loaner and goes and shoots some quick tests. Idk. I kind of trust some of the brands, but others drive me a little mad with variances and tolerances that could be user error, or could be low qc... And it seems we are entering an era when that is going to be the new norm.

Comment

Consumer oriented mentality

Originally posted by James0b57 View Post
                          I was recently asked to work on a project, and the producer asked me what i thought of the lens. I had never used it before, so i declined any thoughts on the matter, and said “it is alright”. It got the job done, and had some quirkiness. Some of which was user error, and some of which could have been the lens or the camera. But i am not going to definitively decide my opinions about a tool without spending more time with it. That got me thinking, there are enough lenses introduced in the last several years that seem to live only in the “marketing” tier. Not a lof of real user feedback. Some reviewer gets a loaner and goes and shoots some quick tests. Idk. I kind of trust some of the brands, but others drive me a little mad with variances and tolerances that could be user error, or could be low qc... And it seems we are entering an era when that is going to be the new norm.
                          That's what happens when consumer oriented marketing enters professional industry -clusterf@#k. This is the price we pay (among other costs) for the incredible growth our industry has experienced in last 10-12 years. Not too bad IMO- just have got to adjust for it. Read feedback and vote with your wallet I say...I do think at times they underestimate our competence....

Comment

The Tamuri 23.9-195mm zoom left quite the first impression.

In a word: high end

Or, that is two words.

Sharp (even wide open)
                            Good color
                            Neutral
                            4ft min focus distance is nearly macro at 195mm
                            Minimal flaring, flaring is not overly saturated
                            19.8lbs, but engineered well, weight feels appropriate.
                            Accurate focus marks
                            Easily adjusted back focus, as the lens is so sharp, when you have it, you know you have it
                            Good composed bokeh
                            Snappy focus.
                            Designed for 4K, at 1:1 pixel magnification on the 8k s35 Helium, the image was still sharp!
                            Large format image circle adapter (hello Venice and mini LF!)
                            Lighter weight and smaller than comparable zooms, yet preserves the most useful zoom range for contemporary. S35 shooting.
                            Focus holds through the zoom

Looks like an incredibly versatile lens that could cut with many different modern lenses available today.

Impressive demo, looking forward to testing it out some day.
                            Last edited by James0b57; 08-08-2019, 08:31 AM.

Comment

This is looking like fun...

Comment

Working...
                              X