Are there any XHA1s still in use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by payal_choksi View Post
    it's wonderful to know that this camera still find its existence in today's time. i really like its image quality. but now i want to move to tape-less format and am considering to sell this off. i have xh a1s. i am in dilemma whether to sell this off or get myself datavideo dn-60.

this camera is absolutely wonderful in terms of picture quality and features. besides, i don't find any other camera currently which i feel worth buying. there are some good cameras but they come at a high price.

i want to stick to my xh a1s but want to have a card recorder. if it can record on cards, there is no need to find another cam.
    http://www.usedav.com/17668/canon-xh...d-hd-camcorder
    I guess this is about the going rate for a XHA1s

I picked up a DN60 last year for my XHA1s and had no problems. You can find a DN60 at a great great price. I like my XHA1s - I have 2 of them, but they give me problems in low light situations and I work more in dark places. Better to sell off now that you can still get something for it. Cameras have come a long way in 4 years. But a tapeless recorder will buy you some time.

I am currently in the process of replacing my cameras. I will probably include my DN60 with one of the XHA1s as a kit for sale
    Last edited by percoplus; 03-08-2013, 09:17 PM. Reason: Updated information. The dropped frames were caused by tapes, not the camera

Comment

Using my XH-A1 with a Focus FS-H200Pro tonight for a job. That one recorder added 5 years of life back into my cam. I love it to death.
      H.Peterson
      Director/DP for hire in LA county/San Diego.

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, Set of Nikon Primes (24mm, 35mm, 50mm 1.4/1.8, 55mm Macro, 85mm, and 135mm), Nikon 80-200 f/2.8, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Shoot35 Mattebox and Follow Focus, Cineroid Retina EVF, GoPro 3+ Black.

Comment

I have an XH-A1s, and it still works well for me. I use it exclusively for short films. Feel free to check out my Vimeo link at the bottom of this post to get an idea of what it's capable of.

The fact that it's tape-based doesn't bother me much. But then again, I'm not shooting on a daily or even weekly basis. If I was, capturing footage from the tape would likely get old fast. That's really the cam's only major downfall, and it again, it's really just a matter of putting a little extra effort into getting the footage onto your PC. I mean, you have to review all of your footage anyway, right? Might as well do it while you're capturing.

Image quality is great, especially if you plan on exhibiting your work mostly online. If you plan on projecting in film festivals it's great too. Theatrically released feature length films have been shot with the XHA1 (Crank 2, The Signal, several others). If you know how to use it, it's got what it takes.

Looks like you can find them used for around 1500 bucks these days. That's a great deal. I wouldn't buy one used without handling it and testing it out, though. Unlike many other tape based prsumer cams, there's no way to track how many hours have been put onto an XHA1.

Hope this helps.

http://vimeo.com/channels/jasonhabel

Comment

I still own two XHA1s's that have served me pretty well, but I am ready for a step up. Actually want to shoot stills and more cinematic style video, so I am considering a 5D mk III DSLR. Maybe sell the camcorders to pay for it, and then get a newer camcorder. I know the DSLR is not exactly a step up, but a lateral into something totally different.

Depending on the type of shoots you do, the XHA1 is still very capable. The last of the great tape-based cameras. I have always liked the look, but low light has been a slight problem and I'm doing more work in the dark. You should keep it and invest in a DN-60, and use tape for backup. However, if you have the means, you should sell it off while you can still get something for it. And I will make two XHA1s's available.
          Last edited by percoplus; 03-08-2013, 09:10 PM. Reason: omission

Comment

I own one and will probably buy two more now that you can find them in the $1k range. I'm primarily running mine through a NewTek Tricaster via Component Out to a BM Analog to SDI converter. The Tricaster accepts component in but the SDI is a better connection when doing chromakey in the Tricaster. The XH-G1 would be better for my purposes because it has HD-SDI out but they're hard to find and tend to be far more expensive.

The good news is since I'm bypassing tape altogether, the number of hours on the heads is irrelevant. While it would be nice to have the ability to record to SD cards, the 'modern' equivalent would cost $5,000 or so.

Comment

Sold mine long ago, but used one yesterday on an indoor shoot with controlled lighting. Still great camera!

Comment

If anyone is looking for a second camera, this would be it!

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...XH-A1-Cine-Kit

Comment

Just bought my first cam after years as a still photog....this was my choice based off of price, features, inputs, zoom, etc. Now if I can just learn how to set it up properly and shoot some good video...

Comment

i still have this camera and love it. i have mark iii also but there is something about this cam that makes me want to keep it.

Comment

We use it a lot, over it's component out to our VMIX software video mixer. Great cam, I'm now even looking to buy some more of them.

Comment

I have a very nice XHA1 I don't use a lot, so if you are interested in buying mine, let me know. I have 2 Panasonics with time stamp I mainly use to shoot legal video.

Comment

The XH-A1 is (even now) still a solid cam. I sold mine a few months ago and switched to a Canon C100, mostly for low-light performance and lens-interchangeability reasons, but I've seen several recent examples of the XH-A1 still going strong.

I shot a short narrative in early 2014 that only recently made it into some film festivals. Projected on a big screen, it held up well against films shot on newer, more expensive rigs like a C300.

I was recently at a Harvard graduation ceremony, and the production company the school hired to cover the gig used half a dozen XH-A1s.

Point being, these are still useful cameras for many types of jobs. You've got to work a little harder on lighting, finding the ideal preset can be a pain, and using a tape-based workflow is a bit antiquated now, but this is still a good 1080p cam that produces great images. I used mine for five years and got a lot of mileage from it.

Comment

The XH-A1 is still an amazing camera, especially for the money. It's rock solid in terms of reliability, produces a great image out of the box and it's cheap. Many don't know about the XH-G1 which is the identical camera with ENG connections on it. This gives you HD-SDI which when combined with an external recorder still makes for a rig that's relevant and inexpensive.

In terms of reliability though there's not much that can touch the XH cameras. The Z1U would be the closest comparison and it suffers from a myriad of lens and tape transport issues. If cheap HD is the name of the game the XH-A1 is your camera.

And geez, that sounds like a spammy post. I just really like that camera.

Comment

I have and still using two of this gems. An XH-A1 and XH-A1s. Both of them are gems.

Comment

I know this is an old post, but I wanted anyone who still has an XH-A1 to k me that I still use this camera all the time. in fact it's funny how as this camera got older, modern video cameras really dont look as good as this system. if you shoot night scenes the xha1 will be clean and beautiful compared to other cameras. I remember first buying this camera and at the time no one raved about its lowlight abilities.
                                Favorite Cameras I own
                                Sony F35 & Sony F3

Decent Cameras I own
                                Arri Alexa Classic, Canon XH-A1 Dvx100b

These Cameras I own that almost did it for me BUT NOPE
                                BMCC.2.5K AND FUJI XH1

These I own as a mad scientist and fanboy but will never shoot with again
                                Red one MX, Red Epic, Ursa mini pro G2

My ultimate advice " Find a camera you love that way your signature won't be like mine"

Comment

Working...
                                X