Question about CRL and color matrix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C200: Question about CRL and color matrix

It is my understanding that the picture settings (gamma and color matrix) in the CP/HDR menu of the C200 have no effect whatsoever on CRL recording. Gamma and color space of CRL are assigned in post. But what about the color matrix? There is no option in Cinema RAW Development or FCPX to choose a color matrix. Is it by default "Neutral"? Color matrix can be useful when color matching footage of different camera's.

I would think it is 'neutral' for C-Log3 and 'Cinema EOS Original' for C-Log since that's the default but I don't know for sure.

CRL is kind of an odd duck because CRD is the only way to get the most out of it since it's a proprietary format that was never supported by Apple and Adobe, etc. as much as something like REDCODE RAW, and it still doesn't have all of the parameters one may like.

But on the note of color matching, what you're saying should be 100% true most of the time, but you'll actually find that as you go through the generation of different sensors and cameras over the years, they don't match as well as you'd think even with the same settings, naturally because of the many years of changes or improvements in hardware and software development.

Comment

Originally posted by Kees T View Post
      It is my understanding that the picture settings (gamma and color matrix) in the CP/HDR menu of the C200 have no effect whatsoever on CRL recording. Gamma and color space of CRL are assigned in post. But what about the color matrix? There is no option in Cinema RAW Development or FCPX to choose a color matrix. Is it by default "Neutral"? Color matrix can be useful when color matching footage of different camera's.
      I'd assume the color matrix default would be "off", similar to how you can choose "off" as an option if using Wide DR when shooting XF-AVC. Don't quote me on that! Let us know if you make any discoveries.
      robnortondp.com

Comment

Originally posted by rob norton View Post

I'd assume the color matrix default would be "off", similar to how you can choose "off" as an option if using Wide DR when shooting XF-AVC. Don't quote me on that! Let us know if you make any discoveries.
        If it is "off" by default there is no way to apply a color matrix in post. Using a color matrix in-camera is only possible for the MP4 and XF-AVC recording formats. Maybe the reason is that these formats use the BT.709 color space whereas there is no in-camera color space for CRL, so there can't be any color matrix. Setting the gamma and color matrix in the C200 when using CRL is just for viewing purposes (that is what I learned from a Canon tutorial).

I am not sure if it is comparable but you can set different picture styles for raw pictures from the EOS R5 edited in DPP.
        Last edited by Kees T; 01-19-2022, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X