C100 Mark ii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C100 Mark ii

Seeing used Canon C100 Mark ii can be had for $1400 can we do any better at his price for a proper HD camera? Only other camera I can think of is the Sony F3. This would be for foodie/restaurant and real estate shows.

If you can get a good one, an URSA Mini 4K is around the same price and its IQ is extremely superior - but the camera is basically unusable for anyone who shoots without lights since its max ISO is 400 (technically it's 800 but FPN is too noticeable even if you crush shadows).

Proper cameras that are cinema systems like the above just don't sell for that low unless they are old and used, and even then there aren't many choices.

Comment

The Sony Fs5 is another option for a solid HD camera in that price range; you can probably find a used one for about $1500 if you look. It also shoots UHD (albeit in an 8-bit codec, limited to 30p, unless recording externally with the raw upgrade).

The first few seasons of "No Reservations" were shot on the F3, and they look great.

The C100 Mkii is still a very good choice if you're staying in HD. I believe the autofocus is superior to the two Sony cameras, although I don't have personal experience with it.

Comment

Sony A73 new is $1,700

Comment

Must be a proper video camera with ND and good in low light so no Ursa Mini or Sony A73. Prefer the color science of Canon, Panasonic, and the Sony F3.

Comment

Didn’t you already ask this before? Just getting deja feeling like we’ve already run through the handful of options that exist.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
              Didn’t you already ask this before? Just getting deja feeling like we’ve already run through the handful of options that exist.
              It was posted in the wrong forum and more appropriate for the Canon Cinema EOS section. Thanks for your feedback NorBro.

Comment

I am getting a deja vu and an amnesia at the same time (Steven Wright).

Comment

Originally posted by boo View Post

It was posted in the wrong forum and more appropriate for the Canon Cinema EOS section. Thanks for your feedback NorBro.
                  It's too bad Canon never made a C100 Mark III. I understand why, but I remember a lot of us were really interested in one around 2016 and were hoping for a simple but very high-quality, super-sampled HD package with the works.

Comment

It's too bad Canon never made a C100 Mark III. I understand why, but I remember a lot of us were really interested in one around 2016 and were hoping for a simple but very high-quality, super-sampled HD package with the works.
                    They must have felt - quite legitimately, I assume - that the pro market, including the lower end, has already shifted toward 4K such as GH-4/ GH-5/A7S/II and one might as well pick up a used C100 if one wanted an HD only camera. On top of that, they made a fairly big jump in quality with C-rippled 200, recording 4K Raw Light. They could have named it C100 MKIII, since it was priced similarly to the original C100 of half a decade earlier.

Comment

Yeah, but that's just spec talk on the business side of it.

Some people who use cameras for certain purposes could have benefited from an updated super-sampled 1080p/2K image from a 6K sensor with 10-bit high bitrates.

The C100 Mark II was already looking soft a few years later and could have had a really nice upgrade (just look at the image of any Blackmagic 1080p).

Recording 10 hours a day with CRL and then transcoding the footage in post just to have 1080p is unmanageable for most, especially for reality-based show content like the OP mentioned.

Comment

Back in 2017 BHPhoto dropped the price of the original C100 down to $1699 during their Black Friday sale. It's been 7 years since the Mark ii has been announced. Hoping they do the same price drop soon...The C100 Mark ii is old but suites my needs of a proper video/cinema HD camera that does not need to be frankenrigged and is good in low light. Just sitting back seeing our options of HD cameras and whether to purchase new or used.

Comment

Yeah, but that's just spec talk on the business side of it.

Some people who use cameras for certain purposes could have benefited from an updated super-sampled 1080p/2K image from a 6K sensor with 10-bit high bitrates..
                          Of course but, as I had posted on the GH-6 thread, the photo-video manufacturers need to move a lot of units to justify a release. IMO, Canon did enough with C200 (even with its 8-bit cripple hammer) to feel no terrible wrath of the video shooters scorned.

Comment

Working...
                          X