Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C300: C70: External monitor issues

Hi all

I had an out of town documentary shoot recently and decided to bring my C70 instead of C300MK3. In general it held up quite well. One issue I had was with my Ninja V monitor. I noticed that when switching to slow motion mode (slow motion conformed to 24p in camera) the monitor would shut down until I switched back to normal 24p.

Is there any way to address this, and if not are there other external monitors that don't have this issue?

Thanks!

Sean
    Documentary + Commercial
    Sean Stiller / Toronto, Vancouver

When you switch over to a HFR mode, the monitor no longer recognizes a standard HDMI framerate signal because the camera most likely doesn't output one at that time, so the monitor/recorder goes black.

Are you saying that's what happened or it actually shut down?

Comment

Yes that's a more accurate description of what happened, it went black. Is that a constraint with HDMI generally then?
      Documentary + Commercial

Comment

Yeah, kind of. It was a problem in the early HD and 4K days as consumer/prosumer monitors could only recognize certain framerates like maybe 720p/60p (max) or 1080/24p/30p but no 1080/60p or 4K/24p, etc. These days pretty much all monitors support everything.

The situation above is similar as the Atomos doesn't know what's going on. There's even a chance Canon disabled the HDMI output during this mode (maybe the manual has more info about it).

High-end systems (like specialty broadcast cameras) could probably do over-cranking inside the camera while also outputting a standard HDMI or SDI signal because that kind of stuff is necessary for television/trucks, but I doubt the C70 has any menu option to do that, or change the output to a lower resolution.

Comment

So I think up to 60p is supported no problem (actual 60p not Slow&Fast mode that conforms the footage to 24p). That would be a huge shame if there's no workaround.
          Documentary + Commercial

Comment

Yeah, 4K/60p has been supported in Atomos products since the Shogun Inferno back like in 2015/16, so that's no issue...it's the HFR mode and there's likely no workaround.

The camera is behaving like a conforming computer during this time (capturing 60fps and slowing them down to a 24fps format) and the additional processing just might not be there in this prosumer piece of hardware.
            At least that's what everyone's excuse has been over the years when we don't get certain features.

Comment

Ugh, so frustrating! For serious work in the field you need some kind of monitor for the C70 and not being able to jump in and out of slow and fast motion really cripples the usability IMO
              Documentary + Commercial

Comment

Maybe just use 4K/60p and conform it manually in post?

I used to always do this even with options of S&Q because sometimes I would want something in real time that I ended up shooting in 60p and the NLE just drops the frames. Might look questionable depending on what it is (and the shutter speed) - and you could always speed up S&Q - but I think it would solve your issue for your slow-motion/monitoring purpose.

Comment

Unfortunately you're discovering one of the many answers to "How am I getting the same exact sensor from the C300MKIII at half the price?"
                  👉 My Filmmaking YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                  X