No announcement yet.

C500 sdi output module fried? (Mark 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C500: C500 sdi output module fried? (Mark 1)

I was doing an interview shoot the other day, and only about 5 mins in I look over to the Odyssey 7q monitor and see some weird artifacting. Thought it was maybe just the monitor acting out. I was shooting 29.97 raw to ProRes HQ via the SDI 1 output. After the first take I check the playback and it's all screwy, too. Pull the SSD, check the ProRes files on the computer, and sure enough, they're hooped.
    That afternoon, I switched to pure raw recording as the monitor and playback on the monitor both looked good. Wasn't able to check the Canon raw files as the laptop we had didn't have Cinema Raw Development on it and we were moving locations. When I came home and checked the raw files, they were cooked, too.
    Luckily I was recording internally as well, and since it's mostly for social media use, the 1080p files will hold up fine.

This is how things came out (first pic is to ProRes, second is the raw image):
    Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 11.10.22 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 11.11.28 AM.jpg

At home i tried a different SDI cable, black balanced 3 times, tried other encoding options, etc. The internal recording is OK, and the Odyssey works fine with my 1DC, so it seems the problem is with the C500 3G- SDI ports (the Mon 1&2 and HD BNC on the body are OK).

I'll be calling Canon on Monday. Anyone had an issue like this, or heard of it? I can't find anything online.

That may be the Odyssey 7Q. I read somewhere recently when those vertical colored lines start to appear it could be a sign the mother board is going bad on the Odyssey. James Beethe His quote is here. The group was on Facebook Odyssey 7Q.
    James A Beethe

When those multi-color vertical lines start that is the main processor failing. No repair available requires new circuit board that Convergent Design no longer has any of. I expect that with time, you won’t see any input, as the video shows. As soon as the processor temperature rises, processor failure occurs.

BB

Comment

Thanks Berry,
      I'll give CD a shout, too.
      Yesterday morning I hooked up the C500 and 1DC together and did a dual 1080p30 recording in ProRes HQ to try and push the Odyssey as much as I could to try and replicate the problem in HD. No go! (As in it all worked) All the internal and on-body connections on the C500 seem to work fine. But as soon as I switch into 2K or 4K mode, it all goes to ****. I called Canon this morning and I'll have to send the body in for them to have a proper look at it.

Comment

I was told that it might be the sensor that is going, which is strange, as the internal 1080p and HD-SDI output work OK. Isn't the 1080p a 4K downscale anyway? Whether or not the camera is in 1080p, 2K, or 4K mode, isn't the readout of the sensor the same? It's not doing any pixel-binning or line-skipping when in 1080p mode, right?
        The only thing that might corroborate this is that when there's a very high-contrast scene, right where dark goes to light, there's sometimes some jaggies - like very strong aliasing. But this isn't present on all recordings. Do sensors start to go like this? I know sensor degradation is a thing, but I have an old 1DS and 1D (original!) kicking around, and they still spit out images without any problems.

Comment

Sensors do go...we've learned that over the years on here from all kinds of cameras.

It's random and no one knows how and why besides the people who make them and diagnose them, internally.

4K downscaling wasn't a common process back then (not even in marketing). I think the F35 was one of the first cameras to have it and educate people about it. (The Alexa had it.)

I don't think any pixel-binning or line-skipping existed in the Cinema EOS line, but the process of producing high-quality lower-resolutions from higher-resolutions was nothing like it is today.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel View Post
            I was told that it might be the sensor that is going, which is strange, as the internal 1080p and HD-SDI output work OK. Isn't the 1080p a 4K downscale anyway? Whether or not the camera is in 1080p, 2K, or 4K mode, isn't the readout of the sensor the same? It's not doing any pixel-binning or line-skipping when in 1080p mode, right?
            The only thing that might corroborate this is that when there's a very high-contrast scene, right where dark goes to light, there's sometimes some jaggies - like very strong aliasing. But this isn't present on all recordings. Do sensors start to go like this? I know sensor degradation is a thing, but I have an old 1DS and 1D (original!) kicking around, and they still spit out images without any problems.
            If memory serves me correctly, the original 300 and 500 are 8.3 and 8.8 MP sensors which have enough red, green and blue pixels to produce a separate 1920x1080 red image, 1920x1080 green image(2x, I think) and 1920x1080 blue image, which nets a full color resolution 1080P image, similar to what our 3-chip cameras do. So, you should be correct that there’s no binning or line skipping to create a 1080 image.

Comment

I prefer my SDIs outputs baked-in rather than fried.

38-E2-E52-A-1-CBC-41-D7-BB23-4-FA7754-F954-E.jpg
              And again I say unto you, it is easier for a rich man to go through the eye of a needle, than for a camel to enter into the kingdom of God.

Vimeo Page: https://Vimeo.com/TwoSenseFilms

Comment

Haha that's great! Helps lift my spirits over this whole C500 debacle...
                But now the issue becomes...is that a stock pic? Or did you really toss your C300s(?) in the oven just for this thread?
                I truly hope it was the latter...

Comment

The latter.
                  And again I say unto you, it is easier for a rich man to go through the eye of a needle, than for a camel to enter into the kingdom of God.

Vimeo Page: https://Vimeo.com/TwoSenseFilms

Comment

Working...
                  X