Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C300: C70: LCD monitor hinge

Hi all

Bought a C70 a few weeks ago and I'm out on my first out of town shoot with it. It's amazing except for the lcd monitor which feels like the hinge is not durable at all. Already there's a small crack in the hinge and when it closes there's a small pop sound, I have no idea how it I even did it. Anyways I'm concerned it'll just break off completely with enough use in the field.

Any tips/advice/etc.? Moving forward I'll probably just keep a 5" monitor on it other than gimbal and super low-key shooting.

Sean
    Documentary + Commercial
    Sean Stiller / Toronto, Vancouver

There are a few videos about it on YouTube...check them out if you have time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8qz8_wOW8Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNah8FJ2Vb0

But the only thing you can really do is be careful with it and not stress it.

Comment

Id return the camera asap and demand one that is fit for purpose.
      http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Same thing happened with my C70 and the hinge. It'd pop every time I opened or closed the screen.

I sent it back to Canon and they repaired it until warranty. Not thrilled about this but at least you should be able to get it fixed free of charge and be more careful with it moving forward.

The terrible hinge, along with no EVF, are the worst things about an otherwise really nice camera.

Comment

Has this been fixed in the newest batch of cameras?

Comment

It doesn't affect everyone's camera, but supposedly some have sent theirs in (from older batches) and they were fixed/improved under warranty.

Comment

Just an update here.. The shop I deal with in Toronto made a claim for me within 30 days and they gave me a full replacement body. So far it seems to be quite a bit better than the original! My understanding also is that if they do a repair for you they'll make a similar upgrade to the hinge.
              Documentary + Commercial

Comment

Thanks for the update. I rented a C70 that had the older hinge (I guess) and it was unsettlingly loose and I asked for a refund. The new touch menu is brilliant but it requires mashing the screen when flipped out and puts all sorts of stress on the hinge. The very first Canon design that seems like an ongoing stressor.

Comment

Agreed, I felt the same way before. So far no problems at all.
                  Documentary + Commercial

Comment

Working...
                  X