C70 Buffer Overflow Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C300: C70 Buffer Overflow Issues

I was on an all day shoot yesterday and received a buffer overflow error. I shot 2 interviews in 1080/24p dual slot record, followed by a bunch of 1080/60p. I threw the camera back on a gimbal and tried to shoot 120fps in 4K mode. I received a buffer error twice. I was able to get one recording in 1080/120, but then buffer error occurred again.

I would gladly pay a higher price for cards that work, but I have tried both the most expensive ProGrade and the Sandisk cards and had issues with both. I can successfully run 4k/24p/60p all day in dual record mode, but experience buffer errors that requires a full shut down and recovery when trying to run 120fps to one card.

I was finally able to get it to work by switching to a newly formatted Sandisk card. I only tried 1080p and it was only a few clips.

Does anyone know if the buffer errors are purely related to the SD cards and the file structure? Or could this be a heat issue?

IMG_2313.jpg

I'd say just the cards...Canon cameras have always been known for buffer issues when they aren't happy. They like certain cards and usually behave well when the card's quality control is high.

There's no doubt a variety of media will work from different companies, but not every copy is the same until you start getting into the premium brands (and those aren't always perfect either).

But the more cards you use/purchase, you'll find some in your possession that are really good (and should mark them).

Most people will always recommend SanDisk for Canon.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
      I'd say just the cards...Canon cameras have always been known for buffer issues when they aren't happy. They like certain cards and usually behave well when the card's quality control is high.

There's no doubt a variety of media will work from different companies, but not every copy is the same until you start getting into the premium brands (and those aren't always perfect either).

But the more cards you use/purchase, you'll find some in your possession that are really good (and should mark them).

Most people will always recommend SanDisk for Canon.
      Yeah, it is likely the cards. The Sandisk oddly give you a message that says "these cards may not be compatible in all frame rates / bit rates."

For the record I bought the Pro Grade cards because I received buffer errors with the Sandisk when running dual slot 4k recordings.

The weird thing is that the 120fps is a significantly lower bit rate. 108mbps Long GOP vs 400bmps in All-I 4k/24p.

IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg
      Last edited by Ben_Ericson; 05-11-2021, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I hear you...it has become a mess as cameras continue to change.

SanDisks are not even recommend by Canon (but either is the 256GB version of PG).

___

Not sure how useful this chart is, but maybe worth a look (and its notes):

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/ind...t&id=ART177815

And keep in mind that those charts are just starting points. It only means that someone in the office had that particular card, tested it, and it seemed to work well in every mode (or at least you hope they tested every mode).

Comment

And unfortunately, as we've seen in the past, just because a specific card model may be approved and work now(if a company even creates an approved list) it doesn't mean it will necessarily work in the future, because sometimes chip makers make unannounced changes to the chip design/manufacturing process that throws a monkey wrench in the works.

Comment

I've never had buffer overflow because I don't work out enough.

I got the most expensive Delkin 256 GB cards for my C70, four of them, and have had no issues. I also have only used the camera on a few shoots so far and haven't done 120 fps and not sure if I've done 4K 60p.
            Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 05-11-2021, 10:30 AM.
            Vimeo Page: https://Vimeo.com/TwoSenseFilms

Comment

I found a reddit post with lots of people experiencing similar problems with all kinds of different media.

https://www.reddit.com/r/videography...issues_buffer/

This is unfortunate. I am a fan of the smaller body size for gimbal work and second camera, but lots of annoying quirks. Seems like Canon should have went with CFAST or CFAST Express. Those cards also come in 512gb.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_Ericson View Post
                I Seems like Canon should have went with CFAST or CFAST Express. Those cards also come in 512gb.
                then people would have complained about the high prices ..

Comment

It looks like Sandisk has released new versions of their cards that have the "V90" badge on them. They also come in 256gb. (256gb is not available until September 2021.)

The read / writes speed is still the same so maybe it's just a new sticker.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ro_uhs_ii.html

I'm still confused why I can do dual slot 4K/24p at 400mbps with no buffer errors. (Doesn't this exceed the 260mbps write speed rating of those cards?) but then have issues with 120fps at 108mbps Long GOP. Shouldn't a significantly smaller bit rate technically have less of an issue?

Comment

IDK, but high speed seems like it always has been an issue for cards.

The way I like to understand it is the people who make the cards teach the cards to be ready for different situations in life and some cards respond better than others. lol.

Comment

IDK, but high speed seems like it always has been an issue for cards.

The way I like to understand it is the people who make the cards teach the cards to be ready for different situations in life and some cards respond better than others. lol.
                      new favourite post of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
                        I've never had buffer overflow because I don't work out enough.

I got the most expensive Delkin 256 GB cards for my C70, four of them, and have had no issues. I also have only used the camera on a few shoots so far and haven't done 120 fps and not sure if I've done 4K 60p.
                        I swear, there is one person that down votes you out of some weird principle. haha. I won't let your badge go pink, you will stay in the orange, no matter how hard you try to going team pink. This I like Jedi light saber stuff. Green sabers vs Red sabers. Idk, I want to join the pink team sometimes. haha. it has to be sort of cathartic to say things that get down votes. And from what I've seen, it would take more than a lot of down voting for that to even matter.

Where's Dan been at? I want to see if I can up vote him till the side bar can't handle it. If Dan has gone on to better things, I may have to make NorBro my upvote target.

Comment

This is definitely the last generation of forum users...a bit sad to know there will likely never be another DVXuser in the history of this forum that will have more than 100, maybe 200 posts total if he/she signed up today.

If the 10-15 main people here vanish, this forum's activity practically stops overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by James0b57 View Post
                            I swear, there is one person that down votes you out of some weird principle. haha. I won't let your badge go pink, you will stay in the orange, no matter how hard you try to going team pink. This I like Jedi light saber stuff. Green sabers vs Red sabers. Idk, I want to join the pink team sometimes. haha. it has to be sort of cathartic to say things that get down votes. And from what I've seen, it would take more than a lot of down voting for that to even matter.

Where's Dan been at? I want to see if I can up vote him till the side bar can't handle it. If Dan has gone on to better things, I may have to make NorBro my upvote target.
                            This is definitely the last generation of forum users...a bit sad to know there will likely never be another DVXuser in the history of this forum that will have more than 100, maybe 200 posts total if he/she signed up today.

If the 10-15 main people here vanish, this forum's activity practically stops overnight.
                            We’ve lost two very good (now former) contributors to this forum lately. I’ve talked to both of them. One stepped away out of his own volition and one didn’t, but they both are no longer on here for the basic reason... And recently I actually contemplated stepping back, at least temporarily, too, because of some of the same things that I was seeing.

Comment

Bickering and what not aside, this place and a few others are very special because they contain very early records of human thoughts and reactions to changes in technology.

Archives of written information before the Internet were mostly on paper, and if you wanted to learn you'd have to go somewhere and obtain the material.

Obviously there were a lot of changes before 2003 in the world of video/cinema, but mostly no one ever had access to any of it. So to have digital records of such a massive exchange of information about changes in the video industry from thousands of...well, users...is really something special.

~~~

I can picture advanced specimens in 2185 reading everything back.

March 21st, 2003.

This DVX100 is SO awesome. Only 11 more hours of digitizing before I can start editing my new feature film.

But that's okay; I'm just chilling. My other project has 2 more days to render.

This camera is really sharp.

Comment

Working...
                              X