Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C100 / EOS R Video Lenses?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    C100: C100 / EOS R Video Lenses?

    Hello, everyone!

    I mostly do wedding videography, with some side photography. But I predominantly shoot video.


    So, I have two Canon 24-105mm lenses that I love. They shoot great for video and photo. But I am looking to expand and get other lenses for video. I also have a Sigma 24mm ART lense that shoots great video, and also a Sigma 70-200mm lense.

    I am thinking I need a wider Canon lense for video and maybe a couple prime lenses?

    Some direction on this would be great. I have a couple of lenses in mind, but want to make sure I get the right ones. Yes, I know this all depends on the subject you are shooting.

    Thanks, all!

    #2
    The Sigma 18-35mm is the most common if you're shooting 4K (crop)...but not so much HD.

    At least 5 new RF lenses are going to be released soon, including a 15-35mm f/2.8L IS which may be nice, but probably very expensive:

    https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-to...ses-next-week/

    Comment


      #3
      SLRmagic for cinema primes???? Eos R being mirrorless in LL

      Comment


        #4
        Canon 17-55 2.8 is a popular lens. I own it and use it often.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by scorsesefan View Post
          Canon 17-55 2.8 is a popular lens. I own it and use it often.
          Me too, but just be aware that if you get this lens and ever update to the C200 or a future Cinema RAW Light Canon camera, it doesn't cover the frame when shooting DCI and even in UHD, it vignettes pretty badly. When you use the EF-S setting when shooting UHD, it's passable but for RAW, no good.
          It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
          G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

          Comment


            #6
            It's also super-duper noisy when AFing and the MF ring is atrocious. (the 17-55mm)
            JERBCO, Ltd.
            jerbco.com

            Web | Video | Aerial

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by jbregar View Post
              It's also super-duper noisy when AFing and the MF ring is atrocious. (the 17-55mm)
              Yeah, where did they get that ring? Out of a cracker jacks box?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by jbregar View Post
                It's also super-duper noisy when AFing and the MF ring is atrocious. (the 17-55mm)
                Yep, my copy too. The MF ring feels like it has sand in it. The AF is slow and very noisy. Too bad, if they came out with a new updated L version of this lens with STM and Gen II or III IS, even if it was focus by wire, would be a big, big seller. But Canon doesn't give a crap about what users want. Nice to go to the Fuji Summit and tell the design engineers which lenses we want first! And they listen and do it. Amazing.
                It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
                G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by puredrifting View Post
                  Yep, my copy too. The MF ring feels like it has sand in it. The AF is slow and very noisy. Too bad, if they came out with a new updated L version of this lens with STM and Gen II or III IS, even if it was focus by wire, would be a big, big seller. But Canon doesn't give a crap about what users want. Nice to go to the Fuji Summit and tell the design engineers which lenses we want first! And they listen and do it. Amazing.
                  Are there Fuji lenses that auto focus on the C200?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    My copy of the 17-55 focuses fine in manual, without any gritty feeling. It could be one of the early manufacturing runs, never bothered to look it up. Autofocus does usually hunt a bit, overshooting the mark, then undershooting, before coming back to sharp focus. If you and your customers are sensitive to that, the STM AF (stepper motor) is usually much better. On the other hand, for direct to consumer shooting like weddings, the needs arenít as stringent, and a little focus hunting seems typical. If you *can* find focus, because a low-light warm-toned church service is very challenging for AF.

                    Wider than that, and, I do like having ultra-wide-angle in the bag, I quite like the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, itís one of my go-to lenses. More recently, I also picked up Canonís relatively new 10-18mm STM, which is much slower with a variable max aperture. I think of it as an exteriors-only lens, but it has a very good look and great AF performance when thereís lots of light. Itís not for shallow DoF looks... but even the Tokina f2.8 doesnít do that much for shallow DoF, as, generally, the wider the lens the deeper the focus.

                    Not many lenses I own would satisfy pixel-peepers, and the Tokina can show some chromatic aberration. This is almost never a problem in the b-roll I shoot with it.

                    Iíve shot a bit with Canonís 16-35mm f2.8; very nice! Canonís 14mm prime is not well known, itís stunning. Where I live the canon stills lenses are readily available on the rental market, as are Zeiss primes. I donít feel I need to own every piece of glass.
                    Last edited by SethB; 02-10-2019, 09:37 AM.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Stills2HDConvert View Post
                      Are there Fuji lenses that auto focus on the C200?
                      No, I bought the X-T3 and am loving it. Still love my C200 but smaller, cheaper, lighter and more fun to shoot with the X-T3 these days. I am doing a shoot today, C200 will be on tripod in a pre-lit interview shooting RAW but the X-T3 will be on gimbal shooting b-roll to F-Log at 400Mbps 10-bit. It's a great camera, every Canon owners should have one! ;-)
                      It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
                      G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by puredrifting View Post
                        No, I bought the X-T3 and am loving it. Still love my C200 but smaller, cheaper, lighter and more fun to shoot with the X-T3 these days. I am doing a shoot today, C200 will be on tripod in a pre-lit interview shooting RAW but the X-T3 will be on gimbal shooting b-roll to F-Log at 400Mbps 10-bit. It's a great camera, every Canon owners should have one! ;-)
                        I was looking at the X-T3. How is it? Dynamic range? Rolling shutter? Have you adapted your Canon glass to it?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by puredrifting View Post
                          No, I bought the X-T3 and am loving it. Still love my C200 but smaller, cheaper, lighter and more fun to shoot with the X-T3 these days. I am doing a shoot today, C200 will be on tripod in a pre-lit interview shooting RAW but the X-T3 will be on gimbal shooting b-roll to F-Log at 400Mbps 10-bit. It's a great camera, every Canon owners should have one! ;-)
                          Na.
                          I think you're a bit of a gear head.
                          And you have some new gear.
                          Enjoy!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I'd also be interested to hear how the XT-3 works with Canon glass since I heard that it has decent face recognition autofocus. Would be great to use as a b-cam that I can carry in a small bag and just lock off. On the other hand, it seems like decent X-mount lenses are pretty affordable.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Lindmando View Post
                              Hello, everyone!

                              I mostly do wedding videography, with some side photography. But I predominantly shoot video.


                              So, I have two Canon 24-105mm lenses that I love. They shoot great for video and photo. But I am looking to expand and get other lenses for video. I also have a Sigma 24mm ART lense that shoots great video, and also a Sigma 70-200mm lense.

                              I am thinking I need a wider Canon lense for video and maybe a couple prime lenses?

                              Some direction on this would be great. I have a couple of lenses in mind, but want to make sure I get the right ones. Yes, I know this all depends on the subject you are shooting.

                              Thanks, all!
                              I think the 18-35 f/1.8 is a requirement for weddings. It is the only zoom that will give you useable results once the lights go down at the wedding. The 50-100 f/1.8 is also nice, but you will wish it had IS and didn't breathe as much. if you already have Sigma, just stick with Sigma. Use the EOS-R in crop mode.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X