Advice on real world C200 workflow and use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C200: Advice on real world C200 workflow and use

I had made up my mind about the c200, but I'm taking a step back before taking the plunge.

Can those of you with a C200 explain your current workflow on PC with RAW Light? I've played around some with the Canon Raw Development tool, but the DPX files being so large doesn't really make me want to go down that path on PC. I've dropped some RAW lite files in Resolve but playback isn't smooth from my internal SSD Drive. (I have a Ryzen CPU and a Nvidia 1080 Ti). What's the proxy file workflow using the cameras 2k proxy files? Do you edit with those, then replace the files then color grade?

I have no experience with RAW workflow, and figured this would be a good camera to jump into it with. I have used a C100 Mark I for about 4 years now. I mainly produce content for non-profits, businesses, and do real estate videos. Since I rarely ever hand off footage to clients, I am okay with some of the growing pains of RAW lite. I just want to know what I'm getting into. Mostly I could also be okay with 4:2:0 as no clients have ever complained about my 8 bit 4:2:0 1080p footage, but of course I'd like to step it up as much as possible on my projects. I have never shot for broadcast, and I'm not itching too either.

One big draw for me is the RAW Lite, but almost more importantly is the DPAF. I'm normally a one man band, so being able to fly on my Ronin and have some autofocus, as well as nailing some shots that I'd normally miss is a huge bonus. I also like the Canon color and can now have my C100 as a B-Cam for interviews. I also work on short film projects with a site I'm part of, so aside from bigger client projects the RAW lite would come in handy for that as well. I had planned on getting an URSA Mini Pro at one point, but it wouldn't have been usable on some of my client projects due to the low light limitations.

I do have one editor I work with, so I would be handing off the RAW footage to her for some projects. She's also on PC. Would it be best to have an external SSD for her to edit from? We both primarily edit Premiere, but I like grading in Resolve so I'm not opposed to using that to edit with until Premiere provides support for RAW lite.

When it's all said and done, does everyone expect to Premiere to have support for RAW lite by the end of this year and aside from storage space should the workflow be pretty simple at that point? I almost thought about using my wife's 2010 Macbook Pro to transcode to ProRes 4:4:4:4 until then, if that's even possible.

I'd love some feedback and advice, I haven't found anything that provides a walk through of C200 users workflow process at this stage. I'm close to pulling the trigger as I have a number of client jobs coming up that I'd love to take to the next level, I've been holding off for a very long time upgrading my C100 Mark I. Thanks!

Any reason why I couldn't drop all the RAW clips on a Resolve timeline and export the project as indvidual ProRes 444 clips? Is that esentially what I would get out of the Canon Raw Development tool using a Mac? I know the free version of Resolve is limited to UHD, but just wondering if that was an viable solution to one of my issues? I just ran some test and the export time is nearly real time and the playback is smooth as butter in Premiere, although it's UHD since I currently have the free version. I'd love to hear what everyone else is doing though.

Comment

Using Resolve as a render farm is exactly where my first point of call would be.

I dont own the camera and I dont own a PC but I would suggest that if you have time (aka no hard deadline) I would be dropping the footy into Resolve or Canon Software and rendering out either or proxy or just something in your final delivery resolution.

Does it even matter if it takes all night to render?

You might have to 'go back to the raw' for a few shots that need extreme colour correction or reframing but that should be no problem if you name your files with some logic.

As for actually leaping in with the camera one should give consideration to card budget, download times, and HD archive space used up (if you choose to keep the raw) - I think shortform is possible - long form less so.

S
      http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Working...
      X