C300 Hiphop zero budget music video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C300 Hiphop zero budget music video

Heres a link to the only C300 music video I've published on youtube: http://youtu.be/-1Ax8gYxj7o (please note this was a Zero budget, and all shot 720 50P to test the slo mo. All in available light except the rooftop scene. I upped the footage back up to 25P because there was sync involved, and wanted the freedom to ramp to slo mo at any stage, but didn't really use much ramping. The only shots at 1080P were the tatoo scenes and the pool scenes. PLEASE WATCH IN HD)
    Last edited by Jusgorilla; 06-03-2012, 11:31 PM.
    Justin Campos

www.gorillafilms.co.za

www.youtube.com/user/jusgorilla

Looks great.

Comment

C300 ftw
      LEARNING TO IMAGE

Comment

I was pretty skeptical before clicking the link (a lot of really bad hiphop videos get posted on this forum), but you did an excellent job here. Really looks nice. Composition, exposure, coloring and editing are all really nice. Great work! Did you use C-Log or one of the REC.709 gammas?
        Cinematographer | Camera Op | Occasional Director
        Currently Shooting "Expedition Unknown" on Travel Channel
        IATSE Local 600

Twitter: @BrianCWeed

Comment

Originally posted by cowpunk52 View Post
          I was pretty skeptical before clicking the link (a lot of really bad hiphop videos get posted on this forum), but you did an excellent job here. Really looks nice. Composition, exposure, coloring and editing are all really nice. Great work! Did you use C-Log or one of the REC.709 gammas?
          Thanks Cowpunk. I understand the initial apprehension, there are alot of hiphop videos that are a waste of time spent watching. With these kinds of budget we literally get told where and when, then we just rock up and shoot without any planning or pre prod.

I shot C-log, zebras on 100%, slightly under exposed, transcoded to ProRes, light pass of Neat video, mojo with warm push, a pinch of sharpen and finally a garnish of film grain (rolls the highlights off nicely) I also shot "bare rig" handheld and stabilized with FCP smoothcam ( the rolling shutter is so slight, the hand held tracking shots looked like dolly shots)

Only the tattoo scene and the pool scene (not the fireworks shots) were 1080P. Im surprised how well the 720 50P footage held up. It's on par with the 5D in full 1080P.
          Justin Campos

www.gorillafilms.co.za

Comment

nice work - can't say I like the music (it isn't bad, just not my cup of tea), but the video was great. agree with Cowpunk on the exposure, nothing under or blown out that I could see, really nice work

cheers,
            Adam
            YouTube
            Facebook
            Twitter
            Instagram

Comment

Question for you. Zero budget? Mansion, pyrotechnics, 50+ extras? Can you give some insight on how you did that with no budget. Do you have a behind the scenes video.
              Videos great by the way. I see some people hit didn't like on you tube. Why the heck would they do that. The video rocked. Quality was awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack View Post
                Question for you. Zero budget? Mansion, pyrotechnics, 50+ extras? Can you give some insight on how you did that with no budget. Do you have a behind the scenes video.
                Videos great by the way. I see some people hit didn't like on you tube. Why the heck would they do that. The video rocked. Quality was awesome.
                Hi Jack. Appreciate the comments.
                Well to say "zero budget" I suppose looks like a contradiction, but shooting videos here in SA is really Guerilla at its best. The Mansion belongs to a guy only too happy to let guys use it for free (He loves having local celebs around) The extras were whipped up from a few tweets, the fireworks were $375, and lights $50. Everything handheld.

And since I own my own gear its not factored in as a cost, or my time.
                Last edited by Jusgorilla; 06-28-2012, 04:32 AM.
                Justin Campos

www.gorillafilms.co.za

Comment

Originally posted by Jusgorilla View Post
                  Hi Jack. Appreciate the comments.
                  Well to say "zero budget" I suppose looks like a contradiction, but shooting videos here in SA is really Guerilla at its best. The Mansion belongs to a guy only too happy to let guys use it for free (He loves having local celebs around) The extras were whipped up from a few tweets, the fireworks were $375, and lights $50. Everything handheld.

And since I own my own gear its not factored in as a cost, or my time.
                  I always hear zero budget because people don't factor in their time or equipment, but without that time and gear you would not have a product. It would really be interesting to see what the production value on some of these zero budget shoots really are. For example... $40K worth of gear, two days shooting, four days editing, so forth.

Comment

Originally posted by David W. Jones View Post
                    I always hear zero budget because people don't factor in their time or equipment, but without that time and gear you would not have a product. It would really be interesting to see what the production value on some of these zero budget shoots really are. For example... $40K worth of gear, two days shooting, four days editing, so forth.
                    True that David. You do have a point. I suppose I should re-phrase the title to " C300 Hiphop minimal outlay music video "
                    Justin Campos

www.gorillafilms.co.za

Comment

nice track, nice clip.
                      looks very film like.

why did you need Neat video and a sharpen-tool?

Interesting you mention film grain to roll off the highlights. What plugin do you use for that?
                      www.eggermedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by alpi69 View Post
                        nice track, nice clip.
                        looks very film like.

why did you need Neat video and a sharpen-tool?

Interesting you mention film grain to roll off the highlights. What plugin do you use for that?
                        Hi alpi

I used neat video because I once used it on a 20000 ISO shot and was amazed at how well it gets rid of noise. But what i also noticed was how it smooths skin, and then just for fun tried it on a shot that had no noise, to see what happens, and it really smoothed out skin tone ,but also killed the attractive grain noise thats so unique about the C300, so I had to add it back with film grain. I've also noted Stu Mashwitz recommendations of de-noising first, then grading etc and finally sharpen. Stu sharpens after adding film grain but i prefer to add the film grain at the end of the list. I just liked the look, and now I do it almost as standard.

I use paul crisp film grain process, but i'm sure theres better grain, i'll look out for something better. If you look at the scopes while doing the film grain process, the highlights roll off smoothly. But be careful to not add too much grain.

I know the C300 is plenty sharp, but after de-noising you do loose a little sharpness, so I add it back (but just a smidgen, actually within the neat settings)
                        Justin Campos

www.gorillafilms.co.za

Comment

Interestimg. I did the grain-then-sharpen sometimes on the 7D footage, because it needed sharpening badly. But on the C300 never felt the need for it.

IŽll try it out again. Your skin tones do look great in this video. ;-)
                          www.eggermedia.com

Comment

They do. Appreciate the comments.
                            Justin Campos

www.gorillafilms.co.za

Comment

beautiful video! great job! wonderful grade. shot with c log?

Comment

Working...
                              X