Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simultaneous HD-SDI and Firewire capture possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simultaneous HD-SDI and Firewire capture possible?

If not, how about recording to tape while capturing through HD-SDI? Is this possible?

Yes, you can do all that. It depends on how you're capturing, obviously, but you could plug a firestore into the firewire port and a Nano into the SDI port and record to both simultaneously.

As for tape/SDI, yes that's possible. The SDI port is always active, and it doesn't know whether something is capturing from it or not. So you can always be capturing footage from the SDI, regardless of whatever else you're doing with the system.
    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post

As for tape/SDI, yes that's possible. The SDI port is always active, and it doesn't know whether something is capturing from it or not.
      Although with the XLH1 you have to go in the menu and turn the SDI 'on', but yeah it should work. I have a nanoflash and a DN-60 lying around somewhere so I can give it a try (it would actually be a useful set-up for recording proxies I guess)...
      http://vimeo.com/channels/guerrillafilms

Comment

Thank you Barry and simonpwood. I thought it could, but needed to confirm. I understand XLH1 doesn't have sound coming through HD-SDI, so firestore footage or tape footage will be used not only as proxies but also for sound.

Comment

Depends which device you are capturing the HD/SDI stream from. With the Nanoflash you just set the audio to Analog IN, and then connect the Analog RCA outputs from the XLH1 to the 3.5 microphone jack (this gives better audio than what would be recorded over the Firewire in fact).

Perhaps some of the newer HD/SDI recorders dont have Analog in though?

I'm sure you know that the HD/SDI does not capture timecode too (this was a real issue with the original XLH1). Again, the Nanoflash offers a way to get around this as you can connect a cable from the Timecode Out to the Nanoflash Remote In. Works like a dream (so you trigger the Nanoflash from the timecode of the XLH1 - once you hit record on the camera the nanoflash starts rolling). Again, some of the newer breed of external recorders may not have this feature, in which case you will have to record manually on all the devices (and if the recorder creates an internal timecode it wont match with your proxie/audio recording from the Firewire).
          Last edited by simonpwood; 04-18-2011, 10:39 AM.

Comment

simonpwood,

XLH1's HD/SDI stream is 60i, correct? if I capture stream through hd/sdi into SSD via something like blackmagic's upcoming HyperDeck Shuttle, will I be able to convert footage into something like cineform or prores 24fps footage without timecode?

Comment

Should be possible to capture without timecode by manually pressing record on the Hyperdeck (perhaps the device will create internal timecode as an option). Converting will be the usual workflow.

Once again the Nanoflash does the work for you (it captures progressive frames in the options - I always shoot at 25p - and the Nanoflash captures that without issue).

The problem I see is that you would have to press record on the camera (for tape if you want it), press record on the Hyperdeck, and press record on the Firewire recorder (and then press stop on everything). When using external recorders it is so much easier to have everything working in sync, especially when you are running around on a time frame (as you are bound to forget to start and stop something along the way).

Still, that Hyperdeck thing looks like it will be a sweet option, worth investigating at that price.

One other thing to bear in mind is that the XLH1 is a fairly noisy camera, and you may find that the external recorder can amplify that noise. You'll need to play around with the internal settings of the XLH1 to see what works best (usually that means turning down the detail, turning up the coring, crushing the blacks a bit, and perhaps turning on ND2 to a low setting - whichever works best with the setup).

Comment

Hmm. It sounds Nanoflash does seem to be the easiest option for XLH1 HD/SDI footage with audio. I was hoping I could take advantage of newer and cheaper recorder like hyperdeck shuttle with xlh1. Well, it is possible, but that may be too much (audio issue, timecode, etc) work-around for my liking.

If I decide to get a xlh1, I will just use a firestore for now until I can afford to getting a nanoflash.

Comment

Ah, I figured you already had one. Otherwise if you are looking to buy you could consider looking out for the XLH1s which had the HD/SDI sorted out. XHG1 also.
                  These are discontinued, so you would be looking for a secondhand unit I guess.

Comment

Right now there is a possibility for me to get a XLH1 with extra batteries, an extra wide angle lens, plus Firestore for under $3000. XHG1 may be the direction I take if that falls through.

Comment

Working...
                    X