Some HV20-30-40 TIPS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some HV20-30-40 TIPS.

Here's a couple of things I did with my HV20/40s. They now have the Canon WD-H43 wide angle convertors fitted which I don't take off.

But the problem is, these convertors don't have any front threads and imo lens hoods are definitely essential .. all the time.

So I just use my left hand with my fingers held flat at the front as the hood and my left thumb underneath the front, supporting the H43.
    I can shoot a low level sunset and raise my hood (fingers) as I zoom out. This also steadies the cam helping with image stabilisation.

As the HV cams are being discontinued you might find the WD-H43 at low prices.

Also, to stop all wind in the on camera mic, I fitted a foam mic pop filter flattened down right on top of the mic. Keep it in position with an elastic hair ring fitted right around the HV cam. It stops all wind short of a cyclone without any audio loss. I also keep these on all the time. Hope this helps

Cheers.
    35yrs with our own a/v production company and studios.

Originally posted by Raster View Post
    Here's a couple of things I did with my HV20/40s. They now have the Canon WD-H43 wide angle convertors fitted which I don't take off.

But the problem is, these convertors don't have any front threads and imo lens hoods are definitely essential .. all the time.

So I just use my left hand with my fingers held flat at the front as the hood and my left thumb underneath the front, supporting the H43.
    I can shoot a low level sunset and raise my hood (fingers) as I zoom out. This also steadies the cam helping with image stabilisation.

As the HV cams are being discontinued you might find the WD-H43 at low prices.

Also, to stop all wind in the on camera mic, I fitted a foam mic pop filter flattened down right on top of the mic. Keep it in position with an elastic hair ring fitted right around the HV cam. It stops all wind short of a cyclone without any audio loss. I also keep these on all the time. Hope this helps

Cheers.
    Well I solved this problem ages ago buy not using the WD-H43 at all. Overall Best In Class = Raynox HD6600Pro (52mm mount) - Best performance at distances typical of a .66/.7 X Wide lens. Best Performance in Zoom-through from Full wide to Full Tele. Least Barrel distortion and best correction for chromatic abberation at typical WA views/distances.
    And it has a front thread to which I attach my Bellows Shade/filter holder.
    "We are approaching the point where the cost of the camera vs. the quality of the return negates the worthiness of investing in a $40K system. Further, what people want is ease of use.
    ----Clayton Burkhart.
    "I honestly can't tell the difference between any of this footage anymore. Now the motion is different. Maybe that's why I like the Alexa, it moves like film."

Comment

Or, you can tape a small piece of thin cardboard around the lens. But if what your doing works, by all means continue to do what you're doing.

Comment

If I remember right, you can get the xha1 lens hood and it will stay on the lens with friction/double sided tape

Comment

Working...
        X