Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon XF605 -- Anyone here bought and/or used one yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought the 605 and did a side by side test with my C300ll and think the 605 is great for live event coverage, suffers a bit in low light but really not that bad. Like Doug says auto exposure should never be used when filming, maybe in a pinch use it to see what the camera recommends for exposure and then click off, always use your waveform as a light meter, in terms of your test like Morgan said try shooting shorter shots, try a little more discipline before hitting record button, check composition, that your horizons are good. I started making films when the only option was shooting film, at the time 400 ft of 16mm cost $79.00 for about 11 minutes and then you had film processing and printing or telecine cost. So before exposing film you explored your options and made sure the composition was good. When you arrive at a location and start filming move around don't film more then a couple of shots from one area, one angle, explore different angles.

Jeff Cadge
    cadgeproductions.com

Comment

I too started with Super 8mm film in the 60's. 4 mins and took a week to wait for processing to see what had been shot. Also cost almost as much as filling the car with gas then !! Definitely was very careful as to what I took not to waste any film. I know that on one holiday in 1971 the cost of film was more than half the cost of the whole holiday.

Comment

Checking in here to see if others have more thoughts or experience with the 605 now that it's been out for a while. It seems to check a lot of boxes in terms of zoom range, framerate options, autofocus capabilities, and image quality. I'm not sure there's another camera on the market that covers so many bases. BUT real-world use can be another story. If people have more thoughts I'd be keen to hear them.

Comment

Originally posted by drboffa View Post
          Checking in here to see if others have more thoughts or experience with the 605 now that it's been out for a while. It seems to check a lot of boxes in terms of zoom range, framerate options, autofocus capabilities, and image quality. I'm not sure there's another camera on the market that covers so many bases. BUT real-world use can be another story. If people have more thoughts I'd be keen to hear them.
          I've used the 705 fairly often. Mostly for live events, but also for interviews and coverage. For events, it is hard to find fault with the 705 and the 605 seems better based on what I have seen. I just with the lens had a consistent f/2.8 over the entire range. If it did, I would have two already. That extra stop would really help and be worth the extra cost. I'm not sure why you make a camera with a relatively large 1" sensor and don't put a larger lens on it.

Comment

we have fiddled with it for a second year at the photo show.

it seems that it is 'all is could be'
            af seems to work, hole in the back is not too bad to look into on a sunny day
            zoom is wide enough to operatie in a car

id buy one.. but my money seems to be coming from gripping arri alexas for now.

my chum nick, who does more corporate is very keen to dump his z6/24-240 audio mess screw on filter combo

http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

the only thing is that it is quite big.

if I had a video camera it would be for short 'social' takes of me gripping an arri alexa, it would need to be 'near pocketable' and the 605 is not that.. the new xa75 (?) is pockey size and mass.

--
              this all comes from someone looking to lose the ex1.. which the 605 would be an excellent repacement for

http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Thanks for the responses both of you.

I'm currently very, very happy with my FX6 (and don't imagine getting rid of it anytime soon) but there is something tempting about an "all-in-one" package like the 605, maybe to replace my Fs5 and some of the associated lenses. The size doesn't bother me. Mostly I'm intrigued by being able to cover a range of scenarios without changing lenses, which can be very helpful. I occasionally shoot some content with a wildlife research group, and the ideal lens would cover everything from wide to extreme-telephoto.

I do worry about losing some low-light performance. Also I'm totally hooked by the Sony variable ND.

Comment

Thanks for the responses both of you.

I'm currently very, very happy with my FX6 (and don't imagine getting rid of it anytime soon) but there is something tempting about an "all-in-one" package like the 605, maybe to replace my Fs5 and some of the associated lenses. The size doesn't bother me. Mostly I'm intrigued by being able to cover a range of scenarios without changing lenses, which can be very helpful. I occasionally shoot some content with a wildlife research group, and the ideal lens would cover everything from wide to extreme-telephoto.

I do worry about losing some low-light performance. Also I'm totally hooked by the Sony variable ND.
                  You just made the case for the Z280, which beats the XF605 and XF705 on each of the things you have said are important to you. Plus you would stay in the Sony ecosystem with the same codecs, CB, etc. MY Z280 is a great companion to my FX6.
                  Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
                  HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
                  http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

You are very correct, Doug—and the Z280 has been tempting me for a while now. Not having to switch to another style of battery alone is a huge perk...

There are two things that give me slight pause with the Z280: the lack of real slow-motion (120p) and questionable AF. The touch focus and great Face/Eye AF of the FX6 have really spoiled me as much as the eND has. But maybe you can speak to either of those points.

Ah, one more hesitation: I'd need to invest in a new media ecosystem (SxS cards/reader).

Comment

The thing about working with a 1/2" sensor is that the AF doesn't have to be that great. I can't imagine that it would be a dealbreaker as long as the AF doesn't have a hunting problem.

Comment

The touch focus and great Face/Eye AF of the FX6 have really spoiled me as much as the eND has. But maybe you can speak to either of those points.
                        Well, no video camera in the world has better AF than the FX6, so that is a tough standard to go by.

Normally when I'm using AF on the Z280 I'm shooting human faces, and in that regard it is just as good as the FX6. Keep in mind that the Z280 has edge enhance peaking (not found on the FX6 or the two Canon camcorders) that makes manual focusing very easy. When I rented a XF705 earlier this summer manual focusing was really, really difficult due to the poor peaking performance and very short throw on the focus ring. The focus ring on the Z280 is much smoother with longer throws. Plus the OLED viewfinder on the Z280 has 30% more resolution than either of the Canons, thus making it even easier to focus.

Comparing AF on the Z280 to the two Canon camcorders is probably more important that comparing it to the FX6, anyway. In my testing I found the Z280 and XF705 to perform pretty much the same for general b-roll and stuff like that. I don't know about AF the XF605.

Ah, one more hesitation: I'd need to invest in a new media ecosystem (SxS cards/reader).

Yeah, that is one thing in the Canon's favor. A few years ago I would have given you a song and dance about how SxS cards were safer, etc., but now having used Sony TOUGH SDXC cards for a year and a half on the FX6 without any trouble, I don't think those arguments about SxS hold water anymore. For some of the less-demanding codecs you could use a SDXC card adapter. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...d_adaptor.html

Comment

Originally posted by cpreston View Post
                          The thing about working with a 1/2" sensor is that the AF doesn't have to be that great. .
                          I'd have to disagree with that. Something is either in focus or it is not. Yes, you'll have a little more DoF to work with on a 1'2" camera (all things being equal) but that doesn't change the fact you still need to be correctly focused on the subject for perfect sharpness. Also, the Canons are only f/4.5 lenses when zoomed in vs. f/1.9 on the Z280, so the DoF difference between the cameras is barely anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post

I'd have to disagree with that. Something is either in focus or it is not. Yes, you'll have a little more DoF to work with on a 1'2" camera (all things being equal) but that doesn't change the fact you still need to be correctly focused on the subject for perfect sharpness. Also, the Canons are only f/4.5 lenses when zoomed in vs. f/1.9 on the Z280, so the DoF difference between the cameras is barely anything at all.
                            Somehow, I still think we are agreeing with each other. If the OP is coming from an FX6 with fast lenses, he might be used to dealing with the camera mistaking the hair or shoulders for the point of focus. In that case, the eyes are noticeably out of focus. On the 705 or Z280, getting focus on the hair is good enough.

Also, I didn’t say that the DOF wide open would be different on the Sony or the Canon. In fact that is one of my annoyances with the Canon. Canon markets the camera as having a bigger sensor than other camcorders, but any benefit of a bigger sensor is lost with putting the same size lens on the camera. In fact, a three chip CCD sensor is probably better than a the 1” CMOS.

Comment

Yes, I understood what you were saying and was just adding more info to the discussion for someone to think about when comparing the cameras. I did not mean to imply you had said something different.

The only point I disagree with you on is . . . "On the 705 or Z280, getting focus on the hair is good enough." Sure if you're on a wide shot, but if you are zoomed into anything closer than a medium shot there is definitely a difference between being focused on the hair or the eyes. A small-sensor camera is no excuse for getting sloppy or having reduced standards. :-)

Comment

Thanks for such a thorough reply, Doug. I appreciate the insights from someone who has as much experience with the Z280 as you do. I should rent one to see how I like using it in a real world scenario, as on paper it's very appealing for some kinds of work.

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post

Yeah, that is one thing in the Canon's favor. A few years ago I would have given you a song and dance about how SxS cards were safer, etc., but now having used Sony TOUGH SDXC cards for a year and a half on the FX6 without any trouble, I don't think those arguments about SxS hold water anymore. For some of the less-demanding codecs you could use a SDXC card adapter. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...d_adaptor.html
                                Do you have much experience with these adapters? I used one with an old EX1 and it was dodgy—I seem to recall that sometimes it just wouldn't work (like it didn't even recognize media was inserted). Although maybe I was using an SD card with too much capacity.

Comment

Working...
                                X