Which camera to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which camera to buy?

I own a pocket 6k camera that I really like for shooting video (raw 6k). Now I want a smaller camera that I can use to shoot stills and at least 4k 24p video (video of my family and/or a b-camera when I shoot with the Blackmagic camera). I have a budget between $1,000-$1,400. What should I buy and why? I already own 6 canon ef lenses. Should that influence what I get?

Thanks for your help!
    What do you mean funny? Like a clown? Do I amuse you?! Huh??!!

Canon 90D...could use existing lenses and have great AF and stills. Similar sensor size for familiarity. Low DR (no C-Log).

If video features are important then the Sonys are the better option but you would lose AF with existing glass via an adapter. Lots of features, great stills, color may shock you a little coming from BM.

There's also a X-T3 from Fujifilm (no AF again via an adapter).

There are a lot of models out there; per usual tradeoffs exist so you'd have to narrow it down more for specifics.

But the 90D would be the easiest and a seamless transition (with the budget above).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...lr_camera.html

Comment

I recommend the canon m6 mark ii for $850 - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tml?ap=y&smp=y

You can get supposedly flawless autofocus from your canon lenses using the canon adapter or even a metabones speedbooster for $480 - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ef_to_eos.html

The camera is small and it will take advantage of your lenses. They added 4k24p in firmware this year whereas it only shipped with 4k30p (and no 24).

If you dont care about autofocus, you could consider a gh5 or an xt3. You may even get usable single-shot AF on those cameras with an adapter

Edit: I just saw norbro's post. I think that the 90d is similar to the m6 but I couldnt speak to all the specs differences. The key difference is that the 90d is a DSLR with ef mount, so you dont need an adapter but you can't speedboost your lenses, so you will always be APS-C. The m6 mark ii is M mount and a mirrorless camera, so you will need an adapter and can speedboost your lenses. 90d is probably slightly heavier. But they are boh Canon prosumer apsc cameras
      www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

They launched those two side-by-side. I actually bought the M6 Mark II. Both didn't have 24p in the beginning but the 90D received it months before the M6 Mark II which was annoying.

I bought it for the size and to use on a gimbal with their beautiful 32mm lens.

___

However, I think the 90D is the better camera.

For stills, it has a built-in viewfinder which might be useful for a photographer (M6 has an external option for more $$$).

For video, it has a fully-articulating LCD and a headphone jack. (You could also use your LP-E6s from the Pocket.)

Other than that the cameras' video quality is identical.

Comment

Great suggestions guys. I do have a canon 5d mark 2. How does it compare to the cameras you mentioned?

Here’s what I like about the 5d:

Shallow depth of field
          No crop on lenses (easy to get wider shots when needed)
          It works with my Ef lenses

Here’s what I hate:

I get a lot of soft photos because the focus is not great (it seems slow and not always accurate)
          It only shoots 1080, I think in today’s world, 4k 24p or better should be the standard
          I don’t like that the lcd screen doesn’t rotate, it really limits the way I hold the camera
          The dynamic range seems limited and blacks often seem crushed
          It’s kind of big and heavy

Do any cameras in my budget solve my issues with the 5d, but still keep what I like about it? Who slightly increasing my budget help?

Comment

90D...there's nothing better for that amount of money (from Canon), which would solve all of those issue above besides DR.

The 4K video is much better than the 5D II's, but you won't be able to get as wide as easily (FF vs. S35).

Comment

I think you are right about the 90d. My previous camera was the gh4. How does the 90d video quality compare to the gh4 video quality?

Comment

The m6 with a speed booster sounds temping for getting closer to full frame, but the screen only moves a little bit, right? I think that would drive me nuts.

Just curious, does canon sell a full frame camera with better quality 4k video — perhaps something that shoots log and how much does it cost?

Comment

Originally posted by thefilmaddict View Post
                  I think you are right about the 90d. My previous camera was the gh4. How does the 90d video quality compare to the gh4 video quality?
                  IMO, it's more pleasant because of the combination of a larger sensor (more shallowness) and Canon's color and how it handles skintones.

The DPAF in 4K also makes it a highly-desirable system for the money. Years past, Canon disabled it in 4K in all of their models around this price, but finally threw us a bone with this APS-C model (and the M6 Mark II).

But in typical Canon fashion, they did but initially without 24p.

But the outrage was too much this time...so they added it via FW.

___

The m6 with a speed booster sounds temping for getting closer to full frame, but the screen only moves a little bit, right? I think that would drive me nuts.

Just curious, does canon sell a full frame camera with better quality 4k video — perhaps something that shoots log and how much does it cost?
                  It's hinged...only moves up and down.

They sell the EOS R for around $1800 but it's cropped.

The RP around $1000 but it's cropped too and no DPAF in 4K to protect other models.

There was a lot of outrage with the RP too, but they didn't budge on that one because it's full-frame.

Comment

RP is now $900 or $1,000 with the 24-105mm F4/7.1 lens.

Comment

Does the RP screen come out of the body and swivel and rotate? It sounds like it might be a better stills camera because it’s full frame versus the 90d, but it would require the adapter to allow me to use my Ef lenses??? It sounds like the downside is that it crops when shooting 4k video, but is that crop similar to the crop that the 90d does with full frame lenses? How do the focus systems compare? I would like a good focus system — especially for locking on eyes.

Comment

It also sounds like the to RP and 90d record the same quality video, right? They both do 24p now, right?

Comment

Maybe a Sony A6300 or A6500 & a Sigma MC-11 adapter.

Comment

Does the RP screen come out of the body and swivel and rotate? It sounds like it might be a better stills camera because it’s full frame versus the 90d, but it would require the adapter to allow me to use my Ef lenses??? It sounds like the downside is that it crops when shooting 4k video, but is that crop similar to the crop that the 90d does with full frame lenses? How do the focus systems compare? I would like a good focus system — especially for locking on eyes.
                            Research the cameras. You can see in any picture of the system how the LCD is designed.

The 90D has less of a crop. It's 1.6x versus 1.8x or so in the R/RP.

No adapter is needed if they are EF lenses. EF-S lenses can't be used on the RP (but can be used on the 90D).

DPAF is available in both, but there's no 4K DPAF in the RP (as mentioned).

You're reading these posts thoroughly, yes?

It also sounds like the to RP and 90d record the same quality video, right? They both do 24p now, right?
                            Yes.

Comment

You're buggered at your budget. What you really want is an R6.

If you want autofocus, you'll need to stick with a Canon camera or else spend a bundle more on new lenses. (Although you could possibly buy a camera and one lens and keep to budget.)

I looked into the R. It could work and with a speedbooster deliver a decent crop factor. You have DPAF and log and 10-bit out. But it's a jello cam. Awful rolling shutter. Maybe you can live with it.

RP has no log and apparently no DPAF in 4k.

M6 mark ii if you could live with a tilting screen has no log I don't think.

Supposedly an APS-C RF camera will be released next year. But with a speedbooster, you're looking at probably $2000-2500.

You've gotta lose something... maybe see if you can live with the R jello
                              www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Working...
                              X