NAB 2023 Rumors & Wishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAB 2023 Rumors & Wishes

Okay, NAB 2023 is a few months away! Does anybody have any rumors to share or wished for releases for 2023?
    "Babs Do or Babs Do not, there is no try." - Zack Birlew
    Production Company - www.BabsDoProductions.com
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Babs-D...11985705544940
    Pond5 Artist Page - https://www.pond5.com/artist/BabsDoProd

Would love to see a $400 zero latency wireless video system that has great reliability. Someday probably but not yet

Comment

A new Blackmagic camera.

We used to stay up all night on BMCuser a day or two before NAB back in the day just to get a glimpse/leak of one of their banners back when BM crushed NAB a few years in a row when they were in the business of shaking up the industry.

Since then they made their money and became probably the most boring company.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
        A new Blackmagic camera. ...
        With a LiDAR auto focus. Take that, contrast detect.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
          We used to stay up all night on BMCuser a day or two before NAB back in the day just to get a glimpse/leak of one of their banners back when BM crushed NAB a few years in a row when they were in the business of shaking up the industry.
          I remember those days. It was fun. When the images of that banner with the first-ever pocket camera leaked, I don't think I've ever been so excited by a camera release.

Ten years later, I'm trying to think of what would get me as excited now. It would take a lot. The C70 is basically everything I'd ever want for my freelance work at this juncture and I can't imagine anything that Canon would announce that would warrant an upgrade (I probably would get excited about a reinforced hinge upgrade from Canon). But for a fun, "art" camera, a pocketable camera with global shutter (whatever happened to Panasonic's organic sensor?) and built-in NDs would be a great start. And yes, LiDAR autofocus too.

What do I think we'll see?

Probably 2-3 new 6K-12K cameras in the prosumer space. More livestreaming options. Between IBIS, gyroscopic data capture, and AI, I think we must be getting pretty close to a camera with DJI Ronin 4D stabilization, that just looks like a regular camera. Maybe an off-the-shelf solution for virtual production.

At some point, we'll probably start seeing some scary AI editor demos -- but that might be more of an AdobeMax thing.
          PortlandVideographer.com

Comment

Canon recently announced a 19 MPX global shutter sensor ... for industrial applications. Given the ever advancing resolutions and frame rates, the commercially viable decision is to add to the dynamic range instead.

Comment

Originally posted by QuickHitRecord View Post

I remember those days. It was fun. When the images of that banner with the first-ever pocket camera leaked, I don't think I've ever been so excited by a camera release.
              Same; bought one on eBay for 3x the cost, couldn't wait, couldn't contain myself.

Comment

I'd like to see something along the Sony RX 10 line, but with 8K, 45-50 MPX, LiDar AF, and all the other modern accoutrements. For $1,000.

Comment

Affordable high frame rate
                  http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Originally posted by QuickHitRecord View Post

Ten years later, I'm trying to think of what would get me as excited now. It would take a lot.
                    Not gonna happen, but what would get me excited? An Alexa 35 in an updated Amira body.

Comment

What would get me excited? A 20x full-frame 30-600mm f/4 e-mount lens with great AF for under $10K. Servo not needed.
                      Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
                      HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
                      http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

That would be quite a game changer with a servo motor. Although not many FF cameras could make use of a servo motor. Any kind of control would need to plug directly into the lens, just like the broadcast models.

Comment

As for myself, I mainly would hope for a surprise from Blackmagic Design such as the Pocket 8K or even Pocket 12K but thinking further about things, I have a few ideas that would be pretty cool:

1. Blackmagic Pocket 8K or 12K - Everything great about the Pocket 6K but with updated sensor and, hopefully, a mirrorless mount system of some sort.

2. Blackmagic URSA 16K+ - A full frame version of the URSA 12K, most of the same features as before if not even better, and, again, hopefully a mirrorless mount of some sort.

3. Sony FX8 - An 8K version of the FX9 with all the improvements and features found in the newer FX6 models and below for the most feature rich high end Pro Sony video camera.

4. Panasonic EVA2 - An 8K version of the EVA1 with mirrorless mount and the same unique and very cool Infrared mode switch for specialized applications.

5. GoPro Cinema - An 8K GoPro with Prores RAW and/or BRAW built in with expanded video bitrate for professional applications.

6. Sony 8K Camcorder - Finally moving 8K into the video camera space and with night vision as well as all the other useful features we've come to expect from Sony's video line up to this point but at a 1"+ sized sensor format and with new external RAW recording as a big added feature for the highest end applications.

7. Sony RX0 Mark III - A fully upgraded Sony RX0 with all the great features of the previous models with, hopefully, a slightly wider lens and 10-bit 4:2:2 and external RAW 8K resolution, allowing for a unified 1"+ sensor line for 8K production. Also would have cage units for 360-degree or panoramic use for capturing background plates for VFX and virtual production scenes.

8. Fuji Medium Format Digital Cinema Camera - Using the GFX mount system, this new camera would be based on Fuji's medium format video features but be in 8K+ resolution and entirely based around digital cinema use for large productions and IMAX filming.
                          "Babs Do or Babs Do not, there is no try." - Zack Birlew
                          Production Company - www.BabsDoProductions.com
                          Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Babs-D...11985705544940
                          Pond5 Artist Page - https://www.pond5.com/artist/BabsDoProd

Comment

FWIW, a week ago Samsung announced a second generation 1/1.3" 200 MPX sensor with an Octo Bayer pattern, where 200 becomes 50 for 8K and 12..5 for HDR. Quad Bayer sensors have been around a while in smartphones but the cartel so far has bucked the trend.

https://news.samsung.com/global/sams...ip-smartphones

Comment

Originally posted by Zack Birlew View Post
                              As for myself, I mainly would hope for a surprise from Blackmagic Design such as the Pocket 8K or even Pocket 12K but thinking further about things, I have a few ideas that would be pretty cool:

1. Blackmagic Pocket 8K or 12K - Everything great about the Pocket 6K but with updated sensor and, hopefully, a mirrorless mount system of some sort.

2. Blackmagic URSA 16K+ - A full frame version of the URSA 12K, most of the same features as before if not even better, and, again, hopefully a mirrorless mount of some sort.

3. Sony FX8 - An 8K version of the FX9 with all the improvements and features found in the newer FX6 models and below for the most feature rich high end Pro Sony video camera.

4. Panasonic EVA2 - An 8K version of the EVA1 with mirrorless mount and the same unique and very cool Infrared mode switch for specialized applications.

5. GoPro Cinema - An 8K GoPro with Prores RAW and/or BRAW built in with expanded video bitrate for professional applications.

6. Sony 8K Camcorder - Finally moving 8K into the video camera space and with night vision as well as all the other useful features we've come to expect from Sony's video line up to this point but at a 1"+ sized sensor format and with new external RAW recording as a big added feature for the highest end applications.

7. Sony RX0 Mark III - A fully upgraded Sony RX0 with all the great features of the previous models with, hopefully, a slightly wider lens and 10-bit 4:2:2 and external RAW 8K resolution, allowing for a unified 1"+ sensor line for 8K production. Also would have cage units for 360-degree or panoramic use for capturing background plates for VFX and virtual production scenes.

8. Fuji Medium Format Digital Cinema Camera - Using the GFX mount system, this new camera would be based on Fuji's medium format video features but be in 8K+ resolution and entirely based around digital cinema use for large productions and IMAX filming.
                              This is a pretty good list. lol

I'd only get the Pocket 8K or 12K, but still.

Comment

Working...
                              X