NAB 2021 - October 9 to 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DLD View Post
    So, this ought to be the week for leaks and the announcements. And the leaks are that the announcements are delayed into the late October.
    Selfishly, I’m hoping that Canon doesn’t introduce any price reductions/rebates on the 25-250. I just took delivery of mine today. My dealer felt it would be pretty unlikely, given that it was just introduced last year and they are still not shipping in large quantities. But the way my luck runs, it would just be par for the course.

Comment

Originally posted by Run&Gun View Post
      Selfishly, I’m hoping that Canon doesn’t introduce any price reductions/rebates on the 25-250. I just took delivery of mine today. My dealer felt it would be pretty unlikely, given that it was just introduced last year and they are still not shipping in large quantities. But the way my luck runs, it would just be par for the course.
      Supposedly, they've been working on a series of the new auto focus primes, to along with their upcoming 8K models. Setting up a 3.5kg cinema zoom with an internal motor would probably be well beyond financial feasibility.

Of course, they could run different promotions to move a few more units. I consider that unlikely but ...

Comment

the motor could be external. you just need the right protocols and communication, etc
        www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Supposedly, they've been working on a series of the new auto focus primes, to along with their upcoming 8K models. Setting up a 3.5kg cinema zoom with an internal motor would probably be well beyond financial feasibility.

Of course, they could run different promotions to move a few more units. I consider that unlikely but ...
          Really, once you start getting into lenses of that size, I’m not sure how in-demand internal motors/servos would be. The good thing about external ones, if they go down, they’re quicker and easier to replace. And Canon Cine Servo lenses have all three motors/servos packed into an (fairly) easy to remove/re-attach grip that self calibrates with a few clicks in the menu.

I did get 0% for 36 months from Canon on it, which helped them move that particular unit…. I am just hoping that they don’t drop the price by a few $K, because that would sting. Hopefully I can get at least a full year of use and rentals out of it, before they start discounting it. I think it was at least two years before they started dropping the price on the 17-120. But it started at a slightly higher price, too.

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
            the motor could be external. you just need the right protocols and communication, etc
            You are correct but, once again, one runs into a problem of the financial feasibility. Technically speaking, it wouldn't be that different from the LiDAR AF units that came out within the last year or so. One would think that the independents like Red, Blackmagic Design and ZCam would be first on the scene with the LiDAR aided AF but they have punted so far. Ronin's version, its performance limitations accepted, seems to be quite useful, however.

PS. A lens promotion/deal, obviously, depends on the production vs. inventory. There it's sort of like a car business - the long run premium models like 911 don't discount period. A 0% deal is due to the Federal Reserve "easing". The reckoning comes after it ends.

Comment

No - I'm saying that you could have PDAF on-sensor communicating to the external motor about focusing closer and farther
              www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Yes, it can. Canon might have to modify its mount for the heavier pro glass. Or something. If they want to promote RF to the video pro community.

Anyhow, Nikon has released a Z9 teaser. Which is sort of expected and unexpected. The body has been discussed for a while but the timing is slightly odd. A7IV is supposed to be announced on the 21st, GH-6 may get its reveal on the 27th. Mitch could be right - he's the insider, after all - about the winter convergence.

Comment

So, in retrospect, it looks like a lot of companies were ready for the NAB but held their fire until later. Wishing that Alec Baldwin did likewise.

Comment

So, in retrospect, it looks like a lot of companies were ready for the NAB but held their fire until later. Wishing that Alec Baldwin did likewise.
                    I see what you did there.

Comment

Working...
                    X