NAB 2021 - October 9 to 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post

Oh man, I haven't thought about R.C. since the last time I saw him at NAB. We've had some great times in Vegas. It is so easy to lose contact with the people that you get used to seeing at least once a year -- after Covid disrupts the flow. Haven't seen K.J. for a few years at NAB, either. Are you an old B-Roll alum, too?
    Yep. Same screen name there, too. I still check-in, but unfortunately it’s just a shell of its former self, even after Kevin went through the hard work and trouble of “remodeling” and maybe moving/upgrading servers. It’s a shame and kind of sad when you think back on the good ‘ole days on there and how it was “the” place to go on the Internet if you “shot TV”, and now it’s all but forgotten, today.

I usually see RC at least once or twice a year and we text and talk some. As a matter of fact, I just talked to him about a week ago, giving him a heads-up about some tech issues with a client. Which ended up being “great timing”, because they hadn’t told him about the issue, so he was going to be stepping into the proverbial cow pie the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by Run&Gun View Post

Yep. Same screen name there, too.
      Of course!! How did I never make that connection that you were the same person? There were some epic discussions/arguments over on B-Roll and no snowflakes to get their panties in a bunch over the smallest things. Working professionals.
      Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
      HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
      http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Yep. It was a different time and place, for sure. Everyone had thicker skin. It came with the territory, if you worked in TV back then. If someone called you an a-hole, you usually took it as a complement and carried on.

Comment

One of the first websites I discovered right after college was B-roll. After you got your TV production degree and went to work as a news photog/editor at some small shop, you’d always have that site on the computer in the photog’s lounge. Mainly used to look for a job in a bigger market with higher pay . But lots of good tips on shooting too. Used to be the first site I went to any day I logged on. But not much there any longer.

Comment

NAB 2021 reminds me of last year when NAB announced they would implement a 'No handshake' policy in an effort to keep the show open. Hilarious looking back on it. .... it was hilarious when they announced it as well.
            Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

Comment

Just got the email... NAB 2021 is canceled.
              JERBCO, Ltd.
              jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

Comment

This morning, NAB put out this statement:

"As we have always kept the best interest and safety of the industry as our priority, it has become apparent in the face of these challenges that we can no longer effectively host NAB Show or our co-located events, the Radio Show and Sales and Management Television Exchange, in person."

[snip]

"we look forward to converging in Las Vegas at the 2022 NAB Show, April 23-27, 2022"

Rest of the announcement:

https://nabshow.com/2021/wp-content/...uncement-1.pdf

----------
                Jim Feeley
                POV Media

Comment

To paraphrase Milton Friedman, "We're all YouTube'rs now".

Comment

What a mess. Frustrating virus, a disruption for life, perhaps.

Comment

I was sorta in my window, but still off just a little bit... I said on another site that I would be shocked if they let it drag on more than another week before cancelling it(I was right), but really expected an announcement within the next few days. I was banking on Monday or Tuesday at the latest(I was wrong, but would still be in contention on The Price is Right).

Comment

I guess the only difference between NAB and 40,000-60,000 sitting next to each other at sporting events is most of those are outdoors.

Not sure how else it's any different as people do quite a bit of walking at sports stadiums and both require vaccination (or many sports stadiums are starting to).

Comment

Originally posted by DLD View Post
                          To paraphrase Milton Friedman, "We're all YouTube'rs now".
                          Interesting. I had to look that one up. The original is "we are All Keynesians now." which Freedman said when Nixon Embrace Financial stimulus during a recession. Which is both a fitting analogy to your YouTube comment and a damn good point about the merits of keynesianism
                          www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                            I guess the only difference between NAB and 40,000-60,000 sitting next to each other at sporting events is most of those are outdoors.

Not sure how else it's any different as people do quite a bit of walking at sports stadiums and both require vaccination (or many sports stadiums are starting to).
                            Difference is probably that many sports fans don't care but many Executives do
                            www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Care about what?

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
                                Interesting. I had to look that one up. The original is "we are All Keynesians now." which Freedman said when Nixon Embrace Financial stimulus during a recession. Which is both a fitting analogy to your YouTube comment and a damn good point about the merits of keynesianism
                                Friedman write it first in 1965, repeated it later and the line became famous due to Nixon's "ad-libbing" it at a public event/interview.

As to the Keynesian's, Nixon's economy was a disaster. As I once mentioned to Ben Stein (his father, Herb, was the Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers, January, 1972 - August, 1974).

Comment

Working...
                                X