• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
    Care about what?
    Delta. Covid generally
    www.VideoAbe.com

"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." -Harvey

Comment

NAB is filled with mostly mid-level employees.

There are many more important and wealthier people that show up as fans at NFL, MLB and soon NBA games who could be concerned as well.

Anyone concerned wears a mask.

Comment

But executives make decisions? And mid-level employees may care more than sports fans? And wealthy sports fans can have a private booth? And you can't tell me that sports fans don't have a greater appetite for risk, on average, than the public at large. It's an adrenaline-infused pastime
        www.VideoAbe.com

"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." -Harvey

Comment

I don't really know how to answer that because I don't know anyone who doesn't watch at least one sport.

But in general I don't see it any riskier than going to a wedding.

You can catch the virus anywhere at any time.

Comment

You know me. But I think that regularly attending games is a higher degree of fandom than watching on TV.

Weddings are smaller crowds by orders of magnitude. Some require all guests be masked. Some force all attendees to take rapid tests. Many require proof of vaccination. And there's theoretically only one per person, not dozens per year. And many weddings have postponed due to delta, some for the 2nd year in a row now
            www.VideoAbe.com

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
              You know me.
              It all makes sense now. lol

Comment

International companies also probably aren't keen for their employees to travel to the covid capital of the world. Agree or disagree, that seems to be how the international community views us. Whereas if you live here and you're going to a local event, you were already exposed to the local covid level
                www.VideoAbe.com

Comment

Last month I filled out a survey/questionnaire from Freeman Data Solutions about NAB. One of the questions was "How concerned are you or your company about the negative publicity in attending a potential Super Spreader Event" or similar wording...

I look forward to NAB next April, back on the original schedule, with hopefully less restrictions. The "no touch, no handshake" policies pretty much eliminate the value of attending NAB for me. If at that point two years of Covid Crazy has at least got people to wash their damn hands in the NAB restrooms after their business, that's all I ask...
                  Jim Arthurs

Comment

Those NAB washrooms are some of the most disgusting washrooms I have to use in any given year. You'd expect better.
                    And when did hugging business associates become a thing? I was ahead of my time in avoiding it. Shaking hands is okay but I'd be happy to see that go away too.

I hope NAB happens next year, but I wouldn't bet on it. I thought for sure we'd be sort of back to normal in October this year and look what happened. Too many idiots that seem like they want it to drag on for years and years.
                    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
                    HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
                    http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post
                      Those NAB washrooms are some of the most disgusting washrooms I have to use in any given year. You'd expect better.
                      And when did hugging business associates become a thing? I was ahead of my time in avoiding it. Shaking hands is okay but I'd be happy to see that go away too.

I hope NAB happens next year, but I wouldn't bet on it. I thought for sure we'd be sort of back to normal in October this year and look what happened. Too many idiots that seem like they want it to drag on for years and years.
                      Key word there is IDIOTS. I did a shoot last week for a show and it centered around covid. Some of the gems that came out of peoples mouths…. One women said that the covid guidelines are the way they are, are because devil worshipers stand six feet apart and wear masks. One guy threw out “we have ivermectin”. And yet another genius protesting a mask mandate, when asked if she voted for any of the people imposing it replied “I don’t vote”.

Comment

I thought the devil had to stand six feet six inches and six millimeters apart ... but what do I know.

PS. There are some FX-9 II rumors. The devil, as they say, is in the detail.

Comment

Originally posted by DLD View Post
                          I thought the devil had to stand six feet six inches and six millimeters apart ... but what do I know.

PS. There are some FX-9 II rumors. The devil, as they say, is in the detail.
                          Now why'd you have to go and mix imperial and metric? You know I'm from the US. Now I've gotta punch that into Google and get it converted...

I heard a nondescript rumor last week about a camera coming from Sony. Went something along the lines "There's a camera coming around NAB that's not from Canon, Arri, Panasonic, RED or Blackmagic... Wink wink...". Also read one recently that said there's supposedly a true F55 replacement coming.

I'd be happy milking my 55 for another five years or so. And it's still not perfect, either, but the more I shoot with the Amira, the more I like it. If I could find one for the right price and condition, I might would grab it.

Comment

Given the visual tier of 4K, the only thing that has happened for the last decade is that the 4K cameras have gotten a lot cheaper. But pretty much any 4K image is still good enough.

In any case, the rumors have had two different Sony cameras in development. Or maybe three. FX-9 II, which is kind of like FX-9 but with 4K 120 FPS. The other may be Venice with the E-mount or something entirely new, perhaps an 8K camera in the $20,000-$25,000 range.

One of the oddest trends in the last several years have been the 8K Sony and Canon cameras that are far less expensive than their 4K and 6K units. The trickle down concept that has been around since the wheel and the plow were invented would have 8K introduced on the higher end pro model and then eventually make it down to the consumer level. But the money in the photo-video industry is at that lower-middle consumer - prosumer niche and so we get a $3,900 R5 and a $6,500 A1 with 8K, while the pros diddle around the $80,000 4.5K Alexa's LF.

And then there's Canon. R5 + Atomos Ninja V take great images and don't overheat but they surely can make a pro tier 8K piece in a huff. But whether they show anything within the next few weeks is 50/50.

Comment

So, this ought to be the week for leaks and the announcements. And the leaks are that the announcements are delayed into the late October.

Comment

Or just pushed to IBC in December (if that happens as scheduled).
                                Mitch Gross
                                Prolycht Lighting
                                NYC

Comment

Working...
                                X