No announcement yet.

How Long Can Atomos Hang On?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't used an external recorder in a very long time. How much of a "thing", or necessary, is it today vs. a decade or so ago?

Comment

About a decade ago, one of the hottest things on the market.

Now, practically nonexistent, I think.

We used them to squeeze out a bit better quality (if there even was any), or 10-bit externally, or have more exposure/color tools, or more space on SSDs, or RAW with some cameras, or easier editing with ProRes...but now - with the current state of fantastic cameras and computers for nickels and dimes - who's left?

BUTTT...if recorders could make all camera sensors shoot higher FPS I'd be back on board.

Comment

Originally posted by Run&Gun View Post
        I haven't used an external recorder in a very long time. How much of a "thing", or necessary, is it today vs. a decade or so ago?
        I use them for my legal work as a backup. I used think dual card was a good enough backup until one time there was an error and both cards stopped recording, so now I have a separate device recording. When I do conferences I can use it to record a slide presentation and jobs that don't need backup its a great monitor. I have gotten so much value its hard to put in words how much Atomos has made my life easier.

Comment

I use external recorders for recording live edits from a Blackmagic ATEM 4K Studio switcher. I'm not aware of any capable switchers that can record 4K 10 bit 4:2:2 without an external recorder for a similar price point.
          Vimeo Page: https://Vimeo.com/TwoSenseFilms

Comment

Originally posted by Peter C. View Post

I use them for my legal work as a backup. I used think dual card was a good enough backup until one time there was an error and both cards stopped recording, so now I have a separate device recording. When I do conferences I can use it to record a slide presentation and jobs that don't need backup its a great monitor. I have gotten so much value its hard to put in words how much Atomos has made my life easier.
            Which camera was this? I've had one card stop cos of a write error once (a7Siii) but the other one kept going.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy9 View Post

Which camera was this? I've had one card stop cos of a write error once (a7Siii) but the other one kept going.
              JVC600. It was a little more complicated. An error message showed up on screen, but the camera lcd showed it was recording and the red light remained on. After getting to a place I could stop. Message said the card encountered an error and would I want to recover it. When I did, both cards had that file missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Bee View Post
                The reason they are in trouble is because of multiple allegations of corporate fraud perpetrated on their own customer base.

When the allegations came out it triggered a securities investigation and their own accounting company dumped them in the middle of an audit.

https://petapixel.com/2022/09/09/for...urities-fraud/
                Good to know. I bought a Shinobi a few yrs ago but they won’t be getting my business again until they get their act together.

Comment

I think they need to get more creative with their products. For example, why do I still have to buy an Odyssey 7Q+ to get uncompressed video out of legacy cinema and broadcast cameras like the Sony F35? Why do I have to resort to cheap H.264 analog boxes off of Amazon to record some legacy analog video? Atomos should have a legacy recorder with upscaling, modern codecs, and all the legacy professional ports to work universally with any legacy source. Similar things can be done with a mix of recorders and upscaling units at a high cost but having such a product to be a modern all-in-one professional solution would be far more useful than another monitor revision.

Admittedly, a breakthrough that I hope takes place with AI is upscaling and bitrate conversion for letting AI change 8-bit to a much smoother 10, 12, or even 14 bit in order to make cameras like my original Sony A7S into a clean non-pixelated 10-bit+ solution rather than having to upgrade to the A7S III or newer and with possible 8K scaling on top of that. If Atomos could get some feature like this into a monitor-recorder then that would not only be a video gamechanger but also the must-have product to beat.
                  "Babs Do or Babs Do not, there is no try." - Zack Birlew
                  Production Company - www.BabsDoProductions.com
                  Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Babs-D...11985705544940
                  Pond5 Artist Page - https://www.pond5.com/artist/BabsDoProd

Comment

I was rooting for their Sapphire image sensor: 8K, global shutter, 15 stops.

Comment

Originally posted by Zack Birlew View Post
                      I think they need to get more creative with their products. For example, why do I still have to buy an Odyssey 7Q+ to get uncompressed video out of legacy cinema and broadcast cameras like the Sony F35? Why do I have to resort to cheap H.264 analog boxes off of Amazon to record some legacy analog video? Atomos should have a legacy recorder with upscaling, modern codecs, and all the legacy professional ports to work universally with any legacy source. Similar things can be done with a mix of recorders and upscaling units at a high cost but having such a product to be a modern all-in-one professional solution would be far more useful than another monitor revision.

Admittedly, a breakthrough that I hope takes place with AI is upscaling and bitrate conversion for letting AI change 8-bit to a much smoother 10, 12, or even 14 bit in order to make cameras like my original Sony A7S into a clean non-pixelated 10-bit+ solution rather than having to upgrade to the A7S III or newer and with possible 8K scaling on top of that. If Atomos could get some feature like this into a monitor-recorder then that would not only be a video gamechanger but also the must-have product to beat.
                      All of the above is extremely niche, man...no money or interest in that at all (besides from the random Joe and Jane here and there).

They need other products that are truly creative and that people would want to buy, like the DJI Pocket 3 (insanely hot rn).

Not saying to make a gimbal/camera but other fun stuff where their background in screen technology and computing could be used.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post

Not saying to make a gimbal/camera but other fun stuff where their background in screen technology and computing could be used.
                        Like a built in Ultimatte type live compositing mode? That would be pretty cool! Surely the modern device CPU/GPU chips should be able to handle these kinds of features, even the AI stuff.
                        "Babs Do or Babs Do not, there is no try." - Zack Birlew
                        Production Company - www.BabsDoProductions.com
                        Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Babs-D...11985705544940
                        Pond5 Artist Page - https://www.pond5.com/artist/BabsDoProd

Comment

IDK too much about that or what goes on in studios where something like that could be used, but if BM thinks it's a good idea then probably, def

Comment

Poor reliability, and appalling repair service don't help. I know a lot of people who've had Atomos monitors go down, and the repair costs have been essentially the same as replacement costs - so they've sworn off buying them again.

I'm in the same place myself. Ninja V died and I was told they can absolutely repair it - and was then quoted a repair price that was $40 less than buying a whole brand new unit (which is ludicrous). Not only that, after pricing the repair at an untenable level, they refused to let me transfer the software licences I'd bought for the broken unit over to a new one if I bought it.

I actually live only 20 minutes drive from their head offices, but even with that proximity (and visiting the offices directly) even getting a monitor to their repair company (which is actually an outsourced third-party company) was a pain.

You can certainly add me to the list of people who won't be trusting them with my hard-earnt again.
                            DREAMSMITHS | SHOWREEL | INSTAGRAM
                            www.dreamsmiths.com.au

Comment

Ive never recorded anything for more than 'scratch'

But on set the playback of cameras like the fs7 is so slow and scrubbing through so difficult (i still dont know if it is possible after a decade) that director friendly playback is super super useful.

Plop an atomos on set and the director releationship jumps in a good way. because playback becomes fun - finger scrub through

Do I like them as a company? probably not. Do I trust the build ? probably not.

Do I like the UI has chened through the generations? no

In terms of mointors Ive bought feelworld recently as I think that $200 price is disposable whereare $800 is too epensive for disposable.

http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Originally posted by Grug View Post
                                Poor reliability, and appalling repair service don't help. I know a lot of people who've had Atomos monitors go down, and the repair costs have been essentially the same as replacement costs - so they've sworn off buying them again.

I'm in the same place myself. Ninja V died and I was told they can absolutely repair it - and was then quoted a repair price that was $40 less than buying a whole brand new unit (which is ludicrous). Not only that, after pricing the repair at an untenable level, they refused to let me transfer the software licences I'd bought for the broken unit over to a new one if I bought it.

I actually live only 20 minutes drive from their head offices, but even with that proximity (and visiting the offices directly) even getting a monitor to their repair company (which is actually an outsourced third-party company) was a pain.

You can certainly add me to the list of people who won't be trusting them with my hard-earnt again.
                                Unfortunately that was exactly my experience trying to get a BM 5" video assist repaired. They wanted MORE than the cost of a new one!

Comment

Working...
                                X