Predictions about the impact of AI-generated imagery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post

Have you interacted with chatgpt? It's very informative about how AI works, where it excels and where its limitations are
    It's too early...it doesn't know everything. Speaking about how AI works now, where it excels and where its limitations are is like speaking about the future of social media in 1995 by making educated guesses based on living life with AOL.

And that's only one part of it. What about the people/power part? All it takes is a Jeff Bezos or an Elon Musk to say or do something worthy with AI and there's an immediate butterfly effect (including completing destroying AI).

Someone does something successful with it and then suddenly every company wants in. Things could change quickly.

Comment

If you understand how something fundamentally works, well... same as with software generally. AI is software and shares the strengths/weaknesses of computers generally

Specifically, chatgpt works by computing statistical probabilities of which words are most likely to come next. That's why it can create naturalistic speech but it's also a recipe for unoriginality. Similarly, a lot of AI art feels like things I've seen a thousand times before but just lack the skills to create myself
      www.AbeFilms.com

From the river to the sea

Comment

ha...a lot of human work feels like I've seen it HUNDREDS of thousands of times before. Same gimbals with slow-motion, same intros with the flashy text describing what the channel does ("Reviews - Photography - Tutorials"), same dramatic establishing mood setter ("What's up YouTube!?!"...accompanied by a hand or head motion), same calling the audience a nickname and asking them to subscribe and "smash that notification bell", same talking head sets with big monitors in the background or off to the side with nice RGB lights all over the place...same, same, same.

Ask an AI robot to mimic human camera operators and be "creative" and it will put its camera in 60p or 120p and just walk around with its internal IBIS. lol

Comment

Yes, the run of the mill I'm talking about. But styles evolve and ppl at the leading edge of that evolution win. Even (or especially) in wedding photography. Most evolution is incremental, so it's happening constantly

Interesting thread discussing if chatgpt can replace junior software developers. Consensus seems to be that it's more like McDonald's making burgers faster: you end up increasing burger (software) production volume and needing more workers anyway to handle the parts (test and check) that the AI can't do

https://twitter.com/shashiwhocodes/s...IAtEkZU0iLrUSA
          www.AbeFilms.com

Comment

But is that a valid question? Are all junior software developers created equally? Does the industry they work in matter? The software they use? Anything else?

I don't know but just seems like a vague inquiry. (The one person in the comments asking if anyone still hires junior software developers is funny, ha.)

I don't know how those industries operate, but I would ask how many software developers do companies really need. Presumably larger companies need more than smaller companies, and presumably the day-to-day varies accordingly.

So I'm thinking not all software is working and powering something the same way...a retail website using AI to build might have more flexibility than a bank or a security system?

Not the best analogy but I'm thinking some software development will be able to benefit from automated pipelines for simpler coding which don't need 24/7 supervision and won't need more workers to check its work. So if AI messes something up, they can fix it in the morning - but in the meantime AI just coded for 15 hours after everyone went to happy hour.

I know it's just a generic question on Twitter mostly for the engagement but I would think the real answer would vary.

Many may surely get replaced but many may not because of what a company may particularly do, or its values, or the top brass (maybe all tech heads on a warpath against AI), etc.

Comment

Apparently there are already AI coding tools being used in the field (CoPilot and/or ghostwriter etc) which basically recall specific bits of code from user prompts, saving time. Basically the programmer decides on the broader structure of what they're trying to code, and the AI helps out with rote minutia once the coder reaches a section of commonly used code. I would think that over time, the AI might be able to handle larger and larger chunks of the minutia, but I don't know.

Coding is happening all the time. Adding new features, adapting to new protocols, fixing bugs, rethinking and redesigning
              www.AbeFilms.com

Comment

sounds like an ideal system to me; let the humans worry about more important matters like their lunch orders while the AI handles the small stuff, and occasionally Joe-Joe or Jane-Jane can step in and see what's up if AI does boo-boo

Comment

Hypothetically, if given proper templates, one should already be able to do an AI film by him/herself without really trying. It may look like a Saturday morning cartoon but it's better than nothing. A real pro ought to be make a really good looking cartoon though.

Comment

DLD, could you use Unreal Engine and make a nice tribute about your love for Putin?

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                      DLD, could you use Unreal Engine and make a nice tribute about your love for Putin?
                      I might need to borrow a few painting templates from Joan Miro and Max Ernst.

Comment

AI-generated answers temporarily banned on coding Q&A site Stack Overflow

/ People have been using OpenAI’s chatbot ChatGPT to flood the site with AI responses, but Stack Overflow’s mods say these ‘have a high rate of being incorrect.’

https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/5/2...w-llms-dangers

Many people in general have commented that this AI is basically a bull**** generator. It always sounds right. And sometimes, it even is.
                        www.AbeFilms.com

Comment

I think all of this recent fascination with AI in the past 24 months is interesting...

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/05/t...i-twitter.html

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                              I think all of this recent fascination with AI in the past 24 months is interesting...
                              https://twitter.com/andrew_n_carr/st...URvDwXkqcifhQg

There have been a couple advances in usable AI that have caught the public's attention, mostly text-to-image stable diffusion, and also this chatgpt. The question is where it goes from here, but these 2 are sizable leaps forward already

Talking to chatgpt is so natural. I don't have to tailor my speech in any way. It can understand what I'm saying as if I were talking to a person. Colloquialisms, incomplete sentences, etc.
                              www.AbeFilms.com

Comment

This was an interesting look at "ruminations on the future of AI" by someone who has been studying "futurist statecraft"

https://www.secondbest.ca/p/before-the-flood

I don't agree with everything but there are interesting insights
                                www.AbeFilms.com

Comment

Working...
                                X