No announcement yet.

Predictions about the impact of AI-generated imagery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That reminds me of what I read today, that "computers are idiots," according to the comments section of this article: https://jalopnik.com/u-s-in-valley-o...hec-1849699276

Headline: U.S. in ‘Valley of Death’ as Autonomous Cars Write Checks the Tech Can’t Cash, Warns Pete Buttigieg

'"It feels like the widespread use of autonomous driving is seven years away, and it’s been seven years away for 10 years,” says U.S. Department of Transportation secretary Pete Buttigieg.'

From the comments section:

Tracer BulletOwen Bellwood
    10/25/22 3:26pm

First you have to code for traffic.

Then you have to code for a stop sign.

Then you have to code for rain.

Then you have to code for traffic in the rain.

Then you have to code for a stop sign with traffic.

Then you have to code for a stop sign with traffic in the rain.

Then you have to code for a stop sign with funeral traffic.

Then you have to code for a stop sign with funeral traffic in one direction and the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile in the other.

Next you have to code for a stop sign with funeral traffic in the rain coming from one direction and the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile being chased by the dog-van from Dumb & Dumber in the other.

Then you have to code for a plane landing on the highway.

Then you have to code for a plane landing on the highway in funeral traffic as it begins to rain ... and the plane gets hit by a train.

All of these are simple for a human to figure out.

Computers are idiots.

RuivoTracer Bullet
    10/26/22 2:29am

As someone that wrangles them for a living, I can attest that computers are indeed idiots.

FredTracer Bullet
    10/26/22 11:06am

And you haven’t even introduced snow, ice or animals. Deer act erratically and sometimes they just look like a stump in the ditch before bolting.

Calli ArcaleTracer Bullet
    10/26/22 11:49am

Computers are idiots.

This is very, very true. As a software engineer, there is nothing more humbling to me than trying to code a behavior into a system that has even a tiny fraction of the decision-making capability of a human. What is effortless for us to decide is enormously complicated to code.

I have a favorite Dr Who quote that I like to keep in mind while I’m coding:

“The problem with computers is they are very sophisticated idiots -- they do exactly what you tell them at amazing speed.”
    www.VideoAbe.com

"If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech." - Noam Chomsky

Comment

On the subject of driverless cars, Ford is shuttering its self-driving car development unit and writing off over a billion dollars. Tesla has been under investigation for over a year for making misleading claims about FSD and marketing an unsafe product. This is a reminder that the future is impossible to predict and that some problems of machine-learning are much harder to conquer than even experts predict.

“The team we have at Argo has been working on what I consider to be the hardest technical problem of our time," said Doug Field, who Ford hired away from Apple’s car project last year. “It's harder than putting a man on the moon.
      https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla...123015521.html
      www.VideoAbe.com

"If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech." - Noam Chomsky

Comment

Here's an article about an AI service where you upload a bevy of selfies and it can spit out fake photos of you

https://fstoppers.com/portraits/are-...comment-thread
        www.VideoAbe.com

Comment

Working...
        X