Mavic 3 / Mavic 3 Cine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joshua Milligan View Post
    I fail to see how that's comparable to the DJI Mavic 3 Cine. In fact, I cannot believe that people are complaining about a $5,000 drone that's small and compact with the ability to record ProRes HQ to an SSD drive with a 4/3 sensor, 10-bit 4:2:2 color, 5.1K resolution up to 60p, 4K up to 120p . . .
    46 minutes in the air also a substantial edge over competing drones.

David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

Comment

There is a download link for various 4k footage straight out of the camera and in D-Log for pro res HQ, h.264, and h.265 in this YouTube review of the Cine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUsfINaINyQ

David S.

Accept No Imitations.
      and...

Comment

Originally posted by jbregar View Post
        The big issue with Remote ID compliance is, the specs that manufacturers have to comply with by next September haven't even been released yet.
        I hadn't realized this. Hmmm. Odd. Thanks.
        How confident do you feel manufacturers will be able to update their existing drones into compliance - once those specs are released? Is this as simple as a software update?

I'm certainly in the market... and would prefer not to stay with DJI - so am still following Autel. Hoping they will answer these latest specs with their own down the road.

Comment

The Autel Evo II Pro only has a 1" sensor and doesn't have the ability to record to a codec as robust as ProRes. I fail to see how that's comparable to the DJI Mavic 3 Cine. In fact, I cannot believe that people are complaining about a $5,000 drone that's small and compact with the ability to record ProRes HQ to an SSD drive with a 4/3 sensor, 10-bit 4:2:2 color, 5.1K resolution up to 60p, 4K up to 120p, that also has a long flight time, 360 degree obstacle avoidance, and an incredible remote with a built-in high-bright screen. One that also comes with three batteries, a three bay battery charger, 6 pairs of props and 8 ND filters. How on earth is this a product we can complain about?

We must be living on different planets.
          The codec from the Autel Evo Pro is plenty robust.
          It is 10bit 4.2.2 in H.265 (which is roughly twice
          as efficient as H.264.) It also has over 40
          minute flight time per battery, claimed 6k resolution
          (I’d personally put it closer to 5k) 360 degree obstacle
          avoidance and a controller with a built in screen
          (although nowhere near as good as the new Mavic’s
          screen.) Also shoots 4K 60. Point being it does
          a lot of what this new drone does. It’s not as well
          specced as this new Mavic but if you haven’t shot
          with it, don’t discount it. It has the best camera
          I have personally ever seen in a small drone. It
          is legit. Enough so that I bought one myself
          as opposed to any of the offerings from
          DJI.

Comment

Sure. Or you could use a drone that records its footage to a removable card and avoid the situation altogether.

My clients are by and large fine with the 10-bit h.265 off of my M2Pro and Autel Evo II Pro. They'd be very happy with ProRes 422... but they'd hit me upside the head if all I had to offer them because of a crash was a "live stream" quality 1080P signal recorded at the remote control.

If the M3 can simultaneously record h.265 to the SD card and ProRes to the SSD, that goes a long way towards alleviating that concern. I'm just not sure it can.
            Current thinking - the internal SSD is a complete joke, it's essentially another annoying workaround to navigate when in theory it might've been tough enough just getting the higher cine 3 rental rate over the line. But the biggest issue is certain Preditors love taking media without needing to transfer in the field. I guess you could leave the entire drone with them for the transfer, they'd love that.

If I'm Producing/Directing a shoot, I'd potentially be more upset that the drone pilot crashed a drone rather than losing the footage!

I understand your concern non-removable media and salvaging footage if a crash happens but I think it's a relatively low percentage vs. amount of time not crashing. We lost our i2 in the ocean, so internal SSD or micro SD cards are both ruined if water is involved. You can still have a lesser drone as a backup option, cleared ahead of time as an OK alternative if things go wrong.

I've also seen some 35 minute flight times - I don't know how much can be addressed with firmware, probably a huge amount. It's not a deal breaker for me because longer than half an hour is a huge victory. But like with most electronics these days we wait til the dust settles and can evaluate properly after the YouTube salespeople have moved onto their next commercial.

H.264 images are looking pretty good to my eyes so far, so hopefully I'd be able to use micro SD cards for the majority of shooting.
            Last edited by rob norton; 11-09-2021, 05:04 PM.
            robnortondp.com

Comment

Originally posted by David Saraceno View Post
              Pro Res will only record to the SSD drive, and the connection for download is MP3 to computer. Unfortunately. Lose the drone, and lose the footage.
              I think I heard someone say that you can record on the controller handset? So that might be a backup option.
              DREAMSMITHS | SHOWREEL | INSTAGRAM
              www.dreamsmiths.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Grug View Post

I think I heard someone say that you can record on the controller handset? So that might be a backup option.
                The controller can only record what it gets... which is over compressed 1080P.
                JERBCO, Ltd.
                jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

Comment

Originally posted by alaskacameradude View Post

The codec from the Autel Evo Pro is plenty robust.
                  It is 10bit 4.2.2 in H.265 (which is roughly twice
                  as efficient as H.264.) It also has over 40
                  minute flight time per battery, claimed 6k resolution
                  (I’d personally put it closer to 5k) 360 degree obstacle
                  avoidance and a controller with a built in screen
                  (although nowhere near as good as the new Mavic’s
                  screen.) Also shoots 4K 60. Point being it does
                  a lot of what this new drone does. It’s not as well
                  specced as this new Mavic but if you haven’t shot
                  with it, don’t discount it. It has the best camera
                  I have personally ever seen in a small drone. It
                  is legit. Enough so that I bought one myself
                  as opposed to any of the offerings from
                  DJI.
                  The base EVO II controller's built in screen is largely unusable as a preview screen, though it is nice to have it in a pinch.

On the other hand, for the cost of the DJI M3 Smart Controller... the Autel EVO Smart Controller is vastly superior. The screen is massive and very bright. I'm super disappointed that DJI increased the pricing on the new Smart Controller and not the size of the screen.

I've also had no complaints about image quality from any of my drone footage. My EVO stuff just got mixed in with Alexa footage for a high-budget TV spot and they loved it. Is the M3 better? Probably... but we're reaching a point of diminishing returns here very quickly.

I don't think the Mavic 3 sucks... quite the contrary, I think it's a solid offering... but I also don't think it's a clear-cut value proposition. It highly depends on your workflow and client base... and it costs enough that you need to care about that. At $2k (where the previous M2P was) it wasn't as much of a concern. At $5k it's a lot more of an investment. Especially since I've been burned by DJI's geofencing enough times on paid shoots that I will always have a non-geofenced drone (Autel) in my toolbox.
                  JERBCO, Ltd.
                  jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

Comment

I've also had no complaints about image quality from any of my drone footage. My EVO stuff just got mixed in with Alexa footage for a high-budget TV spot and they loved it. Is the M3 better? Probably... but we're reaching a point of diminishing returns here very quickly.
                    1" sensor compared to 4/3 micro.

How is the Evo's controller software? As sophisticated as DJI's?

David S.

Accept No Imitations.
                    and...

Comment

Can't seem to locate this information, but does the Mavic 3 record h.265 10-bit? And is it 4:2:0 in the non-Cine version?
                      David S.

Accept No Imitations.
                      and...

Comment

Originally posted by David Saraceno View Post

1" sensor compared to 4/3 micro.

How is the Evo's controller software? As sophisticated as DJI's?

Yeah, I think it's important to point out that while the 4/3 sensor is probably objectively better... we're definitely well into "marginal improvement" range at this point.

Software-wise so far the SC feels about the same. Sometimes not as polished, but it's getting there.
                        JERBCO, Ltd.
                        jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

Comment

The controller can only record what it gets... which is over compressed 1080P.
                          Sure, but if you lose the drone, you still have something. You wouldn’t otherwise.
                          DREAMSMITHS | SHOWREEL | INSTAGRAM
                          www.dreamsmiths.com.au

Comment

I got my Mavic 3 Cine in yesterday and I must say, this is hands down the nicest bird I've ever laid my hands on. The controls from the new RC Pro controller are incredible, as is the high-bright screen. The bag that everything comes in is super high end. It feels like Apple made it. It has a soft interior, metal buckles and is cut to hold everything just right. For everyday use, this will be super handy. I also really like the 8 included ND filters and the custom cases that hold them, as well as the new gimbal holder that holds not only the gimbal, but the whole bird together. This allows you to keep props attached while stored which make going from the bag to the air even faster. That's pretty slick.

As far as the IQ goes, the 10-bit ProRes HQ log footage at 5.1K is incredible. Great color, great dynamic range and sharp, but not that DJI "fake sharp". It makes me feel like I'm flying my FX6 or A7SIII. I also love that you can tilt the camera up by 45 as that that gives you the ability to look up during a shot. Think flying under a canopy of trees and tilting the camera up 45 to see the trees from underneath while the sun shines through for example. That’s a nice touch. I have yet to edit raw stills from it, but I did take some. I am sad that the only stills aspect ratios available are 4:3 and 16:9. I wish there was a 3:2 option available like my A1 and A7SIII have as that's the most common size to shoot in.

My thoughts on the separate zoom camera are different than everyone else's. I don't see it as a pro film or photo tool. I see that more as an option for people who are mapping, inspecting, surveying, searching for hiding suspects, etc. To that end it's incredible. I flew the drone above my house and zoomed into the field I archery hunt behind me and was able to look for deer with that lens haha. It's pretty dang cool. Just think of it as an added tool for non-pro photo or video use and more for mapping, surveying and inspecting jobs, then you'll understand why DJI included it. Or at least why I think they included it.

Overall I'm very impressed. It definitely feels like a $5,000 product and will no doubt be a huge improvement over any other consumer drone I've owned. Truly a pro tool without having to step into that $7,500-$15,000 Inspire 2 X5/X7, Astro, Alta or Airpeak S1 price range. I highly recommend it.
                            Last edited by Joshua Milligan; 11-20-2021, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Truly a pro tool without having to step into that $7,500-$15,000 Inspire 2 X5/X7, Astro, Alta or Airpeak S1 price range
                              I've heard that download speeds for Pro Res HQ off the on board SSD are quite slow even with the DJI's custom cable. Is that your experience?
                              David S.

Accept No Imitations.
                              and...

Comment

I got my Mavic 3 Cine in yesterday and I must say, this is hands down the nicest bird I've ever laid my hands on. The controls from the new RC Pro controller are incredible, as is the high-bright screen. The bag that everything comes in is super high end. It feels like Apple made it. It has a soft interior, metal buckles and is cut to hold everything just right. For everyday use, this will be super handy. I also really like the 8 included ND filters and the custom cases that hold them, as well as the new gimbal holder that holds not only the gimbal, but the whole bird together. This allows you to keep props attached while stored which make going from the bag to the air even faster. That's pretty slick.

As far as the IQ goes, the 10-bit ProRes HQ log footage at 5.1K is incredible. Great color, great dynamic range and sharp, but not that DJI "fake sharp". It makes me feel like I'm flying my FX6 or A7SIII. I also love that you can tilt the camera up by 45 as that that gives you the ability to look up during a shot. Think flying under a canopy of trees and tilting the camera up 45 to see the trees from underneath while the sun shines through for example. That’s a nice touch. I have yet to edit raw stills from it, but I did take some. I am sad that the only stills aspect ratios available are 4:3 and 16:9. I wish there was a 3:2 option available like my A1 and A7SIII have as that's the most common size to shoot in.

My thoughts on the separate zoom camera are different than everyone else's. I don't see it as a pro film or photo tool. I see that more as an option for people who are mapping, inspecting, surveying, searching for hiding suspects, etc. To that end it's incredible. I flew the drone above my house and zoomed into the field I archery hunt behind me and was able to look for deer with that lens haha. It's pretty dang cool. Just think of it as an added tool for non-pro photo or video use and more for mapping, surveying and inspecting jobs, then you'll understand why DJI included it. Or at least why I think they included it.

Overall I'm very impressed. It definitely feels like a $5,000 product and will no doubt be a huge improvement over any other consumer drone I've owned. Truly a pro tool without having to step into that $7,500-$15,000 Inspire 2 X5/X7, Astro, Alta or Airpeak S1 price range. I highly recommend it.
                                Nice little mini-review. I'm dumping some footage from my 2 Pro right now that I just shot earlier. Had to go back out and re-shoot some footage from a few days ago. The first location I shot, the drone was somehow in auto-exposure and I didn't realize it and when reviewing it that night, you could see the abrupt exposure changes several times, mid shot. And one of the other locations, I couldn't get some of the shots, because of strong interference/signal loss.

What is your initial impression with the signal range between the drone and remote? I was impressed with my original Mavic Pro Platinum, but the 2 Pro has always felt like the RF link was sub-par and easily subject to unwanted interference. Also, how customizable is the remote? I've always wanted to be able to flip the direction of the camera tilt control. It just seems backwards, in my mind. In my brain you should roll(push) it towards the center of the remote to tilt (push)down the camera and pull it out towards the outside of the controller to tilt(pull) up the camera, but it's the opposite.

Comment

Working...
                                X