Mavic 3 / Mavic 3 Cine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mavic 3 / Mavic 3 Cine

Kind of surprised no one started talking about these yesterday. Especially the prices. But the demo video is gorgeous.

https://www.dji.com/mavic-3?site=bra...&from=homepage

Base is $2,199 and Cine Premium Combo version with new smart controller is $4,999.

colors and dynamic range look pretty good. looks pretty sharpened? something about the motion cadence looks odd as well, although obviously there's a lot of speed ramping going on. Personally, I don't drone enough to merit the upgrade from my phantom 4 advanced. but to be sure, the new feature set and sensor upgrade, etc, are awesome
    www.VideoAbe.com

"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." -Harvey

Comment

Any mention of this one having the remote ID capability?

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
        looks pretty sharpened?
        Interesting. I literally had the opposite reaction to the footage . The one thing that really jumped out at me in all of the promo footage is that finally a non-Inspire level drone by DJI has come out that does not look artificially sharpened in-camera. For the first time, I am seeing a lot of detail with natural looking edges.

That said, what I really want to see are the comparisons between the Pro-res Cine version vs the lower level codecs of the normal version. That price diff is HUGE, so I'm leaning the same way you are in terms of cost/benefit WRT to upgrading. I'd love to have that Cine, but I'm not using drones often enough at the moment to justify 5 grand.

Comment

I thought the footage looked great. This is the drone I am looking for.

Originally posted by ozmorphasis View Post

I'd love to have that Cine, but I'm not using drones often enough at the moment to justify 5 grand.
          It's an interesting strategy, they do not sell the Cine standalone, but as far as I can make out it's only ~$600 more than the $2200 standard Mavic 3. It's just that you have to buy it in the package that includes all the bells & whistles:

- $1200 Controller
          - 3x $179 Batteries
          - 2x $179 ND Filter Kits
          - $$$ Misc charging hub, convertible bag, etc.

The Cine is identical to the standard $2200 Mavic except for ProRes & 1TB internal storage to hold ProRes.

Do we *really* need ProRes with 10-bit h.265 these days? For those of us working for others as a professional drone operator or on higher level productions sure, I imagine so. But as my own shop, drone footage for me is pre-dominantly establishing b-roll shots and something that adds some flare to a production. I don't even shoot my primary content in ProRes, I shoot on the S1H/EVA1/GHx cameras in h.264/h.265. Also, do we *really* want it all stored on 1TB internal drive? After every flight, I pull out the MicroSD card and store it safely away on the ground. I carry a distinct microSD card for each drone flight (usually 2 cards per battery). This is essentially a safeguard against crashing the drone and losing all my footage, so I am "backing it up" after each flight.

All that said, I will probably end up with the Cine version ANYWAY... only because I want every one of those accessories. If I get the $3k fly more combo, I still want the $1200 pro remote and the $180 higher stopping power ND kit and now I'm at $4400, so I might as well just get the Cine at that point.

So it's a smart pricing strategy, the Cine is "only" $600 more. But they won't sell it standalone at $2800, no doubt because they make a killing on all the marked up accessories (like a $320(???) convertible bag and $180 ND filter kit!). And the way they distribute accessories is very clever, too (why does the $3k fly more combo kit not include the far more valuable higher stopping power ND filters? The main lens has adjustable aperture, so by and large when you need ND filters you will need the more powerful one. To upsell you of course!). Tricky devils.

Main bummer is that if I ever break the Cine model, doesn't seem to be a way to repurchase it standalone, so I'd have to just get the $2200 base model. Which is basically identical save for ProRes/1TB... two things I don't think I really need anyway.... so I guess it's fine. But a $600 price jump to the cine package is only $350 increase after tax write off so it doesn't seem reasonable to piece meal it out rather than get the model with ProRes.

Whatever. The drone and footage look incredible. This is the drone we have been waiting for.

Comment

Basic package + extra batteries and a set of NDs is all I need. I don't need another bag, especially one at that ridiculous price which also screams "steal me shiny toys inside."
            "There is nothing permanent except change."
            Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net
            TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
            INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

Comment

Having to plug the Cine drone in to dump footage from the SSD sucks.
              JERBCO, Ltd.
              jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

Comment

Originally posted by jbregar View Post
                It doesn't suck as much as the price.
                "There is nothing permanent except change."
                Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net
                TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
                INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

Comment

But the Cine drone includes DJI's 10Gbps Lightspeed Data Cable.
                  David S.

Accept No Imitations.
                  www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com
                  and...
                  www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
                  Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by David Saraceno View Post

But the Cine drone includes DJI's 10Gbps Lightspeed Data Cable.
                    LOL. Also known as a “USB-C cable.”

JERBCO, Ltd.
                    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

Comment

LOL. Also known as a “USB-C cable.”
                      Exactly. And probably very pricey.
                      David S.

Accept No Imitations.
                      and...

Comment

The new flight times are amazing. The drone looks good and while I'm sure it would pay for itself over time, it's another thing to "pay off" so I'd rather not buy one at all!

With the odd shaped filters, what about polarizers? There will be third party products like this - https://www.pgytech.com/products/dji-mavic-3-filters

They've gone with a design that covers both lenses rather than two individual filters. Do polarizers work the same way if they're not in the centre of the lens?

My initial reaction is the tethered cable sucks. Sometimes I leave cards with people but maybe I won't dislike it as much as I think in actual use?

I've seen enough good looking footage to be happy with the IQ but one scene from their promo stuff looked awful, like a beginner photographer making bad HDR photos:

m3.jpg
                        robnortondp.com

Comment

The Mavic 3 produces good looking footage for sure. But not a big enough jump in quality to enable me to charge any more on my invoices. For me like many, the drone is an added value tool primarily for B roll shots. The old trusty Phantom 4 Pro is still filling that role quite satisfactorily for the time being. Sure I would like it to be smaller and easier to stow but I can live with what it is. Part of my rationale is if I ever total the 4 Pro there are now dozens to choose from on the used market at quite reasonable prices. The used market is a veritable spare parts bin for us not so skilled flyers.

Chris Young

Comment

Originally posted by cyvideo View Post
                            The Mavic 3 produces good looking footage for sure. But not a big enough jump in quality to enable me to charge any more on my invoices. For me like many, the drone is an added value tool primarily for B roll shots. The old trusty Phantom 4 Pro is still filling that role quite satisfactorily for the time being. Sure I would like it to be smaller and easier to stow but I can live with what it is. Part of my rationale is if I ever total the 4 Pro there are now dozens to choose from on the used market at quite reasonable prices. The used market is a veritable spare parts bin for us not so skilled flyers.

Chris Young
                            With the mavic 3 cine, the image is closer to what the inspire cameras are providing without requiring the same workflow (read headaches: higher level of skills, more people, more planning, fewer approvals, a boatload of batterires etc.)

So who knows, there may be new demand for people wanting to have less jarring cuts between the drone and ground cameras but weren't quite willing to go down the path of the dedicated drone crew/heavier aircraft (didn't have the $$$).

The cine 3 isn't as good as an x7 but it's a new option we haven't been able to provide until now. I'd love to see cinematch DJI cine 3 mixed with various well-known cameras and see where we truly stand as far as matching.

I'm a huge phantom 4 pro fan but ultimately I think the cine 3 will be rapidly decreasing how long the older generation of drones will be acceptable.

I think if I went with the regular version, I'd run into enough times over the course of a few years where I wished I bought the cine version.

Other than IQ, to me the things like flight time, smaller package, no attaching/removing propellers, nice bright screen are pretty welcome changes.

I won't be running out to buy one but if that changes then hopefully it won't be so difficult leveraging the new tech for a higher equipment rate.
                            robnortondp.com

Comment

I'd like to see some comparisons between Pro Res HQ at 4:2:2 and footage shot with h.265 and h.264 at 60 fps.
                              David S.

Accept No Imitations.
                              and...

Comment

Working...
                              X