No announcement yet.

DJI Ronin 4D Camera | 6K & 8K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as gimbals go, I see young filmmakers flying their cameras on gimbals all the time.
    What I don't see is young filmmakers shooting Pockets or alpha cameras handheld.
    Camera shake is ugly. If anyone here has a video on YT that they've personally shot handheld
    with a Pocket (meaning handheld, no support whatsoever), I'd love to see it - NOT!!!

Concerning lens compatibility (it's pretty extensive):

The 4D supports a ton of lenses, and the number of compatible lenses will grow.
    A bunch of Leitz Summicron, Noctilux and Summilux cine lenses, from 21 to 90mm.
    The Leitz cine lenses go for around 10 grand apiece, so not toys.
    A heap of E-mount lenses.
    The popular Tamron 17-28 and 28-75 that are already in many Sony shooters' bags.
    The Apo Lanthar 65mm f/2, a gorgeous macro lens that can also be used for portraiture.
    THE ZEISS BATIS 135MM f/2.8. Here's your narrative lens. LOL
    and on and on....

https://dronereviewsandnews.com/what...nin-4d-camera/

Your manual lenses become autofocus lenses with LIDAR.
    Once a lens is calibrated (5 focus points are entered), the information is stored and there's no need to
    recalibrate when changing lenses.

Latency on the wireless transmission is phenomenal (extremely low).
    I've seen wireless transmission systems with follow focus that cost as much as the 4D.

Just as with any camera, if weight is an issue over time, the 4D can be attached to an easy rig, which I'm guessing most of us have.
    You just have to be careful not to block the sensors at the bottom of the camera (don't hold the camera right up against your chest).

In a ZOOM talk with B&H, Nino Leitner says the skin tones look great and the footage doesn't look too digital,
    which were my impressions after playing around with a couple of clips downloaded from DJI's website. Nino does say he saw
    rolling shutter on the camera. Having watched the clip he's referring to, it was the ugliest I've ever seen in my life -
    and the only instance I recall seeing in his or anyone else's videos.
    Last edited by jonpais; 10-25-2021, 04:13 PM.

Comment

hearing the DR on this camera is beastly. better than Komodo. but colors are not at that Venice/Arri level apparently.

but that certainly makes this camera a contender.

Comment

Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 11.45.45 PM.jpg
        Dream lens from Make Art Now

Comment

Originally posted by James0b57 View Post
          hearing the DR on this camera is beastly. better than Komodo. but colors are not at that Venice/Arri level apparently.

but that certainly makes this camera a contender.
          I'll be waiting to see the actual numbers from CineD on this one. They're numbers are tough, but at least they're consistent across all cameras so it provides a nice reference point.

I am warming to this camera. I think in certain situations it will be phenomenal. I also imagine this to be the ultimate camera for wedding / live shooting if they there's something to take the weight like an easy rig etc. Nether of which I shoot, but they seem to be two markets where gimbal dominates these days.

w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
          p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

Comment

Probably a bit rich for most wedding videographers.
            Although in principle I love the idea of it for the permanent gimbal camera (assuming the auto focus is consistently good).

Comment

Not necessarily too rich for wedding videographers but I think it has too many limitations and drawbacks and doesn't help me where i need help while admirably handling that which i can already handle
              www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Not necessarily a great showcase of what the DJI 4D is capable of, but a very fun video to watch nonetheless!

Comment

Was at B&H today and played with the 4D - built like a tank. It ain't light as peeps say.

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post

Yes, but I think very few people are actually using the Ursa 12K at that level of production. It's not the A camera there either

I will say this - it makes interesting competition for the FX6. Because it can use my E-mount lenses. So I could get an FX6 for let's say $6500 with cheap batteries and use the media I own already. Or a 6K DJI 4D for $8000 or so with batteries and cheap media.

Each has its advantages. But the FX6 can't go on the gimbals I currently own whereas the 4D is a gimbal and can record internal prores RAW. FX6 has 120fps 4K full-frame, better low-light, and gets the nod for AF IMO. Plus XLRs and eND...

Nevertheless - comparable price. Very interesting...

One other thing the 4D has going for it is that -- if it becomes a famous rig, then buying one could open up additional gimbal op jobs
                    ...or get a new Gimbal and Float the FX6 on that with + a much wider range of lens (here is my FX6 with the 100-400 on the Crane S3 (which is under $1k)). I agree with Philip Bloom's review. Intriguing but...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jmone View Post

...or get a new Gimbal and Float the FX6 on that with + a much wider range of lens (here is my FX6 with the 100-400 on the Crane S3 (which is under $1k)). I agree with Philip Bloom's review. Intriguing but...
                      I love this set-up
                      www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

...there are 3 things wrong with this setup
                        1) I don't know what I'm doing
                        2) there is no real direct FX6 control from the smart handle (just Stop/Start and you need the optional cable) - they need to support LANC
                        3) I don't know what I'm doing

I guess practice could fix 1 & 3

Comment

Originally posted by jonpais View Post
                          There are plenty of options out there when it comes to lenses. One thing I'll bet though, is that no one here is shooting with that monstrosity you wasted your time making a screenshot of.
                          Unlike the Arri lens you called a monstrosity, the new Xeen Meister prime series from Rokinon is probably a good budgetary fit for Ronin 4D users. 4.6 lbs for the lightest of the 3. Cine lenses are heavy. There are plenty of lens options out there under the weight limit. Just not cine lenses
                          www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Working...
                          X