Rycote's first microphones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rycote's first microphones

A few weeks ago, following various posts on social media, Rycote (the well-known designers and makers of windshields and mic suspensions for over 50 years) announced their first mics, both shotguns (short and medium).

Intrigued, I asked the nice Rycote people in Stroud if I could test both mics - in my own amateur way. I'm pretty impressed so far, and have done a write up with wav and video files etc. https://drbadphil.com/rycotes-first-...2-shotgun-mics

In short, a useful addition to the market: hopefully they'll become available soon.

Cheers,

Roland

Wonder how they compare to a CS-3E or CMIT

Comment

I know it's stupid, but when a manufacturer puts effort into the packaging and display - as in not a cardboard box with a bit of foam, it always seems to mean something.

Comment

Originally posted by sleekmedia View Post
        Wonder how they compare to a CS-3E or CMIT
        Well, the Rycotes are half and a third of the prices of these mics respectively, so if they are in the same ball park then they are doing remarkably well. Over to others to do all these comparisons with other shotguns, but from my perspective the HC-22 and HC-15 do a very good job: give them a try when you can.

Cheers,

Roland
        Last edited by Throwback; 10-14-2021, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by paulears View Post
          I know it's stupid, but when a manufacturer puts effort into the packaging and display - as in not a cardboard box with a bit of foam, it always seems to mean something.
          I'm just pleased - as I said in my review, Paul - that there aren't loads of extras. I know Rycote plan to sell you windshields etc. separately, but I wouldn't, for example, be keen on buying all the extras with, say, the NTG5.

Cheers,

Roland

Comment

great write up. i particularly love microphone conversations. so much nuance to explore.

i’ve gone through owning a plethora of different dialogue mics. all the main players except for some of the outliers, like oktava and audix (which sound fantastic for the price), and for whatever reason, i have been pushed back into camera time after time. so i have ended up with an audio technical set and some G3 wirless packs and a few mid tier lavs. and for the day to day, if i am just needing to get sound into the camera, like for an interview for a web channel, then i can confidently say, there is little to no difference in those situations. the cheaper mics save me a few grand, and since i don’t really have a business model that charges for sound recording, as i rarely do sound, that all makes a difference.

however, i do feel getting the right mic is important. more important than lens choice, imho.

there are levels to microphones, the ones that are bad, the ones that get good sound, and then the ones that capture with precision or subtlety that shine without really being able to explain it.

if these Rycotes can straddle the kind of good sound and precision, they may replace all the other budget options. i really can’t fault Audii Technical, and while i’m not a fan of the Røde’s, but they still leave room for a competitor to come in and take the place.

Sanken did well in this arena, but perhaps prices are bit higher than some might want to spend, so while more conservative compared to Sennheiser, Neuman, Schoeps, DPA etc, the Sanken brand isn’t exactly “budget”.

as unlikely as it may seem, the Rycote mics are a welcome surprise to a seemingly crowded space, but with the expansion of media production, and the growth of markets, this space is getting exciting. higher numbers means better ROI, and that could mean finally
            that illusive bang for buck sound we’ve been searching for?

time will tell!

thanks again for the review, i look forward to listening on better system soon.

Comment

Ya, but that Rycote packaging doesn't look all that expensive. Also:

schoepsbox.png
              Attached Files
              ----------
              Jim Feeley
              POV Media

Comment

german functionalism, often imitated, but never replicated.

Comment

For the cost, my Sanken's should have been "packaged" just as nicely as a Schoeps... But, I don't think any of my Sanken's have ever been back in their boxes since being taken out. Whereas my Schoeps is in the box more than it's on the end of the boom.

Comment

By way of an update, I've just posted some additional samples of ambiences/field recordings on my blog, both the individual tracks and the MS stereo recordings: https://drbadphil.com/more-testing-p...c-15-and-hc-22

Cheers,

Roland

Comment

And by way of another update, I've just done some simple tests comparing the Rycote mics with the the Rode NTG5: https://drbadphil.com/rycote-hc-22-vs-rode-ntg5

Cheers,

Roland

Comment

Working...
                      X