M1 Macbook screen problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M1 Macbook screen problem

Is anyone worried about the potential of M1 Macbook screens cracking on their own? I just purchased an M1 Macbook Pro from BH and otherwise it's great, but I'm wondering if I should keep it?

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/2...cts-causes.htm

Comment

Ha ha, yeah I just watched this, Norbro. His logic is OK, but IMO if enough consumers are having an issue it IS an issue. The question is how MANY macbooks are actually having the issue...

Comment

But his logic would also presume that those consumers who are having an issue are making up the issue in their heads, lol.

Who knows. I just mostly thought it was funny to provide that example because that guy hates Apple.

Comment

Yeah, he's def a PC pusher

Comment

I have two M1 MBAs. One personal one I bought in December and so far its absolutely perfect. Another one I have had a few months now provided from my work also perfect.

Not saying there may or may not be an issue. Just giving my own personal experience. I work with a lot of developers who are moving to the M1 as well and so far no issue. I have never actually personally known anyone to have this issue yet. Again not saying it isn't happening, just wondering how common it actually is.

I think with a lot of gear we really do need to treat it well. The screen may or may not be a bit more fragile and easier to break under stress. Not sure why anybody would stress a 13" laptop that much but I have been shocked looking at a use lens that has only been out for six months and it looked like it was through a war. Not sure how people can be so rough on their expensive gear. Not sure Apple ever really promised being able to throw it around and treat it roughly. These are thin delicate machines and not frisbees.

Could/should they be tougher? I'm not sure. Again I don't beat up my computers so I'm not sure just how tough a laptop should be. Whats the benchmark for how much abuse a laptop should take?

I also know people are dishonest when they break things. Not all reports should be taken as 100% truthful. People will not want to pay to fix their own goofy so if they can get Apple to pay for it for free they will. Now that some reports are out there every Tom, Dick and Harry with a broken screen is going to claim this is why it broke. Again not saying there isn't a design flaw that makes them easier to break vs previous models. Just saying just because people say it happened doesn't always mean it did. Especially if Apple will not cover the cost for accidental damage like that.

I just find it a tad funny that the screens are spontaneously just breaking like that. The lawsuit is a bit ridiculous in its claim that Apple misled customers and knowingly put out a defective screen. There are likely hundreds of thousands of M1 laptops out there right now. If this is only a hundred people which on its own seems like a lot but thats 0.0001 of total users. Thats assuming only 1,000,000 units sold and last I heard it was in the millions. There is no way thats a factory defect.

I think we need a lot more data on how frequently this happens, what is done to make this happen and so forth.

It seems like every month or so somebody tries to come up with a design flaw of the M1 which eventually turns out to be bogus.

Comment

Thanks, Thomas. I was hoping you would chime in... Some of those affected claim they didn't abuse their laptops, but just closed them and woke up the next morning to find them cracked. Whether or not they're being truthful I have no way of knowing, but if it happens in this way to enough consumers I doubt they are all lying. That being said I would like to know how many people have actually been effected and then we can better assess the actual risk of it happening to us. But it's good to hear that your two MBs have been fine and the first one for almost a year now...

Comment

Originally posted by scorsesefan View Post
                Thanks, Thomas. I was hoping you would chime in... Some of those affected claim they didn't abuse their laptops, but just closed them and woke up the next morning to find them cracked. Whether or not they're being truthful I have no way of knowing, but if it happens in this way to enough consumers I doubt they are all lying. That being said I would like to know how many people have actually been effected and then we can better assess the actual risk of it happening to us. But it's good to hear that your two MBs have been fine and the first one for almost a year now...
                This is really a tricky one. Another thing I have read is that the M1 chasis and overall design is still the exact same as the previous Intel models. Its only really the logic board and M1 chip that changed.

Its just kind of odd for a screen to suddenly crack just sitting there without some kind of force.

I just know many of us that dropped a laptop would suddenly claim it was just sitting there. Especially when faced with a $600 bill to fix the screen.

There are likely now millions of M1 screens out there and even if its a case of 100 users thats not a factory defect.

There is also an issue of not putting on webcam covers because that has broken previous Mac screens. It creates too much tension on the screen with pressure by having a foreign object between the screen and keyboard. We don't know how many are not aware of this and put these type of webcam covers on their M1s and later read it could be the cause and omit that small detail.

The screens are thin and thin means a bit more fragile. The alternative could be to make the laptops thicker, heavier and more robust but the other 99.99% of us don't want that. So what should Apple do?

I will also say I have traveled with mine in a camera bag. Stuffing it under my airline seat and hauling it around with a ton of lenses and camera bodies. I'm not treating it like a feather either and so far so good.

Comment

One other point is the M1s have been selling like hotcakes. Thats means more individual situations of defects. Its much more likely to have a higher defect rate or users slightly dishonest about breaking their laptops when you have much higher volumes out there. 100 defects now vs 50 defects from previous models does not mean its any worse. The M1 has also had a lot of converts from bulkier and beefier PC laptops who just may not be used to the thinner and more delicate nature of a Apple laptop.

Again not saying there isn't an issue and maybe there is but so far it seems exceptionally small. If something like 5% of owners were experiencing it it would be a concern but we are not even close to 1% or 1% of 1% yet. Lens tolerances are much worse.

Maybe something more will come out of this but as of right now it seems a bit fishy to me.

Comment

Yeah, I think only time will tell. I'm not rushing to return my M1 just yet...

Comment

A local nonprofit's M1 MBP, which they/we bought partially for streaming but justified because a staffer needed a new computer, is treated as a regular work machine, which it is. Not coddled, used a lot for work-from-home. Holding up fine.
                      ----------
                      Jim Feeley
                      POV Media

Comment

Good to hear, Jim.

Comment

Working...
                        X