X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NorBro
    replied
    Originally posted by rob norton View Post
    Yeah definitely. Unless you want to work that way, it seems more like an insurance policy/get out of jail card. Depending on time focusing on set, it'd be tough to do in real time in post, so may be slower.
    That's old-thinking though...

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    P.S. I say that last thing because it will be a cold day in hell when the Japanese sit around and lose their technological advanced feature integrity to Americans.

lol.

So what does that mean...it means focusing in post is undeniably coming to mirrorless' and cinema cameras.

Leave a comment:

• rob norton
    replied
    Yeah definitely. Unless you want to work that way, it seems more like an insurance policy/get out of jail card. Depending on time focusing on set, it'd be tough to do in real time in post, so may be slower.

One major benefit I can think of is eliminating focus breathing, which you really have to pay to play when it comes to cinema lenses. If you take breathing out of the equation, which is one of the biggest gripes of those using the best cinema glass, I'm sure that would go a long way in getting those types of people on board.

On set monitoring is still a joke (the operator holding the cable walking through the grass). If everyone's phones had the ability for a zero-latency feed with no extra hardware, that would be hard to stop.

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    Ideally the extra post step would involve running your finger over an NLE post-production touchscreen or an automated process by AI, but I do agree that they will definitely work together optimally hand-in-hand.

In general, I meant that all these years and all this R&D for AF has really been leading up to this point...being able to correct the focus in post if you wanted to.

Leave a comment:

• rob norton
    replied
    Originally posted by NorBro View Post

But if you have the opportunity to manipulate your focus with key frames in post, my gosh, who wouldn't want that?

The idea of turning a ring and engaging in this manual labor to make sure your image is clear is not a concept this future world will ever understand.
    Not everyone will want the extra post step though. AF alone might be a temporary solution but I think it'll more work hand in hand - amazing AF as the default setting unless people want to change things in post.

Instead of getting it right in camera on set, you're sort of just delaying the task until post - you haven't eliminated the need for extra people.

Ideally it wouldn't be either/or. If you wanted, the operator could be embracing AF by themselves, a second person could be controlling focus on the day (with their iphone13), or the editor can tweak or focus from scratch in post.

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    Originally posted by Teddy_Dem View Post
    Where is NorBro? I think he has been the person that has spoken the most about the eventual move to shifting focus in post. Seems that post-focus is limited to 1080p with the current technology.
    Sorry, I missed that the first time; I was too excited about the headline. lol

Focusing in post has been my dream for a while.

Because focusing a lens with your hand is superannuated.

I know...I know...it's art or whatever - but nah, not for me, not anymore.

AF has always been a temporary solution until the machines get it really right. Or at least it's a great solution for live products when post-production isn't really an option.

But if you have the opportunity to manipulate your focus with key frames in post, my gosh, who wouldn't want that?

The idea of turning a ring and engaging in this manual labor to make sure your image is clear is not a concept this future world will ever understand.

Leave a comment:

• jonpais
    replied
    1st and 3rd videos are pretty slick.

Leave a comment:

• rob norton
    replied
    Pretty cool. Separate to the tech inside and even though you can rig up the phone, I'd still rather use something bigger to begin with and think the mirrorless with swivel screen is a really nice sweet spot for this type of shooting.

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    Oh, yeah. Here we go.

Kidding me with that cinematic mode quality for this first generation of new tech?

Regular cameras are absolutely finished.

This is my future passion, no doubt.

Leave a comment:

• DLD
    replied
    Buying and selling iPhone's?

Locked or unlocked?

Leave a comment:

• Teddy_Dem
    started a topic iPhone 13 Pro

iPhone 13 Pro

ProRes video recording up to 4K at 30 fps (1080p at 30 fps for 128GB storage)
    Pro 12MP camera system: Telephoto, Wide, and Ultra Wide cameras
    Telephoto: ƒ/2.8 aperture
    Wide: ƒ/1.5 aperture
    Ultra Wide: ƒ/1.8 aperture and 120° field of view
    Cinematic mode for recording videos with shallow depth of field (1080p at 30 fps)
    HDR video recording with Dolby Vision up to 4K at 60 fps
    4K video recording at 24 fps, 25 fps, 30 fps, or 60 fps
    1080p HD video recording at 25 fps, 30 fps, or 60 fps
    720p HD video recording at 30 fps
    Slo‑mo video support for 1080p at 120 fps or 240 fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDKbwvSvg0w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3CZX-lnAIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tl1RL8MRCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKfgdkcIUxw

Where is NorBro? I think he has been the person that has spoken the most about the eventual move to shifting focus in post. Seems that post-focus is limited to 1080p with the current technology.
    Last edited by Teddy_Dem; 09-14-2021, 06:21 PM.
Working...
X