Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple dumps Intel and shows Final Cut Pro on new Mac with Apple CPU !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple's new 14 and 16" MacBook Pros pack the BRAND NEW M1 Pro and M1 Max chips which have a TON of technology behind them. In this video, I explain what makes them so special!

51617110580_a8cb12538f_b.jpg
    Last edited by joe1946; 10-21-2021, 05:22 PM.
    GH5, Sony FDR-X3000,Nikon P1000 , a6300 , NX1 , GH4 , Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 , Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS , Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 ,Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1.8 ED , 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS , Sony A7r , FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS , Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA ,Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA , 28-70mm FE OSS, 15mm F2.8 , 24mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel H View Post
      ARM CPUs are great in terms of performance-per-watt but not so much in terms of just performance, so I guess this is good for the Macbook Air, has pros and cons for the Macbook Pro, and is bad for iMac and Mac Pro. The Cortex-X1 is supposed to push performance at the cost of efficiency, and maybe tests with that is what convinced Apple, but given their track record I'd say they're just as likely to use a terribly outdated model instead.

To me, it seems they're just doubling down on their current approach: they will be better at the things they were already good at, while anybody who cares a lot about total performance is not using apple anyway.
      The chips in the new Macs destroy PCs. PCs are dinosaurs now. Apple is so far ahead in tech it's not even funny. Nothing even comes close.

Comment

A Mac Mini with M1 MAX would be insane since the current M1 Mac Mini has 150w continuous power vs only 96w in the 16" MacBook Pro. Also a 10GB Ethernet option for the Mac Mini.
        51619392988_c1003d2afc_b.jpg
        The new Mac Mini should also have HDMI 2.1 for the new mini LED 8K displays like this 65" with prices dropping like crazy.
        51619429048_f49e12d083_b.jpg
        Last edited by joe1946; 10-22-2021, 12:17 PM.
        GH5, Sony FDR-X3000,Nikon P1000 , a6300 , NX1 , GH4 , Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 , Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS , Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 ,Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1.8 ED , 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS , Sony A7r , FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS , Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA ,Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA , 28-70mm FE OSS, 15mm F2.8 , 24mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post

It's probably a non-issue with the types of files I'm working with. I create 960x540 h264 proxies in fcpx and work from those off the internal drive. My fcpx library backups get uploaded to my Google drive account as soon as they get saved. All original media is elsewhere. I agree it's not ideal to have editing material on your OS drive, it's just a lifestyle thing. I do most of my editing on the couch (or wherever) and I can have a half dozen projects accessible simultaneously without connecting any drives.
          Makes sense and would be very convenient to have a self-contained machine that had a lot of current projects ready to go. Files that small wouldn't be creating a bottleneck I'm sure you're right.

After swearing off laptops for serious work until now I might look into a workflow for that myself. The price premium on the internal storage I'd need to justify it with a new MBP makes me cringe though. More likely to spend that on more external storage and just deal with plugging in a small ssd. But that sh*t does get old and can't fault you for enjoying your setup the way it is

Comment

I have been editing most of my life's projects (and many times multiple projects at the same time) on internal SSDs for the last 8 years. Only in the very first 2-3 years of my career did I catch the tail-end of spinning drives.

I was a very early adopter of SSDs and it still stings how much money I've spent on them, ha.

Once MBPs and MBAs had internal SSDs (some replaceable by the user), I rarely ever edited on an external drive.

When I first started in the business, I was adamant about separating applications from "scratch" and following certain guidelines like only using up to 60%-70% of a drive's capacity or following certain instructions, but once I started critically thinking about everything in life, I asked myself why I was doing this.

The only answer was because I was following the advice of strangers' recommendations on the Internet.

And so I stopped and - as an experiment - loaded anything and everything I could on my internal drive and worked and rendered and processed and I've never looked back.

I too sometimes use proxies like mentioned above usually when I can't fit everything on the internal, but I would have no problem dumping 1900GB of a project on a 2TB internal drive with 50GB left (after internal applications) and working like that.

Nothing has ever slowed down or caused errors for me.

The conclusion I had in my own personal situation, and only that, was the advice of separating data or having any form of bottlenecking must apply to certain hardware, software and/or workflows because I haven't seen it on premium internal SSDs on a Apple laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
              I have been editing most of my life's projects (and many times multiple projects at the same time) on internal SSDs for the last 8 years. Only in the very first 2-3 years of my career did I catch the tail-end of spinning drives.

I was a very early adopter of SSDs and it still stings how much money I've spent on them, ha.

Once MBPs and MBAs had internal SSDs (some replaceable by the user), I rarely ever edited on an external drive.

When I first started in the business, I was adamant about separating applications from "scratch" and following certain guidelines like only using up to 60%-70% of a drive's capacity or following certain instructions, but once I started critically thinking about everything in life, I asked myself why I was doing this.

The only answer was because I was following the advice of strangers' recommendations on the Internet.

And so I stopped and - as an experiment - loaded anything and everything I could on my internal drive and worked and rendered and processed and I've never looked back.

I too sometimes use proxies like mentioned above usually when I can't fit everything on the internal, but I would have no problem dumping 1900GB of a project on a 2TB internal drive with 50GB left (after internal applications) and working like that.

The conclusion I had in my own personal situation, and only that, was the advice of separating data or having any form of bottlenecking must apply to certain hardware, software and/or workflows because I haven't seen it on premium internal SSDs on a Apple laptop.
              I'm sure many many people manage just fine this way. I tend to wipe my OS drive & reload every year or so (something Apple users don't tend to do of course); that's part of the purpose of my separation setup. I do know anecdotally from doing 2d & 3d animation I really have seen a benefit avoiding I/O bottlenecks with complex renders & playback

Comment

I actually also wipe my drive and reinstall everything once a year. Maybe that has helped but IDK.

Comment

I actually also wipe my drive and reinstall everything once a year. Maybe that has helped but IDK.
                  This is my practice as well. I also transfer between two identical sized external SSDs and reformat the first one, check for errors, and then copy back.
                  David S.

Accept No Imitations.
                  www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com
                  and...
                  www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
                  Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by hojomo View Post

I'm sure many many people manage just fine this way. I tend to wipe my OS drive & reload every year or so (something Apple users don't tend to do of course); that's part of the purpose of my separation setup. I do know anecdotally from doing 2d & 3d animation I really have seen a benefit avoiding I/O bottlenecks with complex renders & playback
                    You know you can partition the system drive for that purpose to keep project data intact and still wipe the OS as needed.

To a certain degree I agree that a system drive is not always the best place for everything but keep in mind 90% of the world is editing with compressed h.264 and HEVC formats and are likely not impacted at all by the super fast speeds of Apple drives. Plus FCP is pretty efficient combined with MacOS how it utilizes that storage. Very few will ever run into any issues at all by using the system drive.

For me it comes down to cost vs ability to quickly move projects to another system as needed. A large internal drive is all neat until you have to edit on another system for whatever reason. Plus I have always been a fan of having multiple systems to handle rendering and encoding so I don't tie up my main system. Keeping projects internally means a lengthly process to move them to external drive. Better off just utilizing a fast external drive right away and not being held back.

As amazing as it would be to have 8 TB in a MBP I know I can get 8 TB to edit my projects 100% perfectly for much less so its just not very practical. Thats why I suggest just getting enough internal storage for the swap file, applications, random documents and commonly used assets and any media related to specific applications like Logic samples content and so forth.

Comment

I mean, I think the theory of separating the drives you're using is totally sound and should increase your bandwidth. You just might not need all that bandwidth. And I think that my situation slows down (or at least it did in the past but I'm not sure about with my current internal SSD) when my internal is almost full.

But for me, there are 2 considerations that are greater than using the fastest or best hardware:

1. I used to procrastinate awfully with regard to editing I could complete on my own timetable. So, ultimately, anything that makes it more convenient and comfortable for me to edit is going to make me a faster editor because I'm more likely to actually get to the work.

2. I hate sitting and I hate office chairs. I hate being in the same position for extended periods of time. I do bad posture. Legs or toes fall asleep. The best office chair I've ever found is my couch
                      www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Smet View Post
                        . A large internal drive is all neat until you have to edit on another system for whatever reason. Plus I have always been a fan of having multiple systems to handle rendering and encoding so I don't tie up my main system. Keeping projects internally means a lengthly process to move them to external drive. Better off just utilizing a fast external drive right away and not being held back.
                        This is true, although I just have proxies and fcpx library on my internal. Footage is elsewhere. To go to my other system, i just transfer the fcpx library. I will usually delete the proxies at that point. And oftentimes when handheld make this transfer, I'm usually far enough along in the edit that I can finish it over Screen Sharing from my laptop on the couch. But again, I'm not doing animation or too many effects
                        www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

I mean, I think the theory of separating the drives you're using is totally sound and should increase your bandwidth. You just might not need all that bandwidth. And I think that my situation slows down (or at least it did in the past but I'm not sure about with my current internal SSD) when my internal is almost full.
                          You should try editing full-resolution files on your internal drive and see what you come up with because it sounds like it's theoretical to you right now?

Would be interested to hear how the experience is with a variety of 4K a7sIII files. (No proxies.)

Comment

IIRC, playback/editing full-resolution files off the SSD has been smooth in my limited experience (usually when I've done that, I'm just reviewing stuff or testing features). I'm not sure about H.265 file playback, I'd have to check that again.

I'm not going to do full-resolution files off my internal, though, just because of space constraints. Right now I'm juggling several projects that are at various stages of completion and they're probably collectively 3TB of raw footage. So, I guess I could do it with a 4 or 8 TB internal...

The only downside for me personally of working with proxies is that I'll end up with about 1 shot per 10 or 15 minutes of edited material that is a little out of focus and has to be replaced and I don't realize it until I'm in the final review stage. But that's such a small waste of time compared to all the good that proxies do me
                            www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

IIRC, playback/editing full-resolution files off the SSD has been smooth in my limited experience (usually when I've done that, I'm just reviewing stuff or testing features). I'm not sure about H.265 file playback, I'd have to check that again.

I'm not going to do full-resolution files off my internal, though, just because of space constraints. Right now I'm juggling several projects that are at various stages of completion and they're probably collectively 3TB of raw footage. So, I guess I could do it with a 4 or 8 TB internal...

The only downside for me personally of working with proxies is that I'll end up with about 1 shot per 10 or 15 minutes of edited material that is a little out of focus and has to be replaced and I don't realize it until I'm in the final review stage. But that's such a small waste of time compared to all the good that proxies do me
                              I really envy all of you who can get away with smaller size (internal) storage for client work. I have a NAS loaded with eight 16TB drives in Raid, and it is still not suitable for long term storage without a bunch of archive drives sitting around as well, and I still need to bring material on and off the NAS when clients need to revisit projects. Speeds are great with 10GbE network connection, so no complaints there. I guess it comes down to the type of client work that you do. I do a lot of doc work (client facing, not as just a shooter, so 12TB or so for a project is common), and also a lot of multi cam concert/event/music work, so also tons of data.

So, having a ton of internal space is not worth the cost since it will still not be nearly enough. Better to spend the money elsewhere in my case.

Comment

You know you can partition the system drive for that purpose to keep project data intact and still wipe the OS as needed.
                                Of course. The I/O bottleneck aspect doesn't get helped setting it up this way, but it can streamline re-installing with a clean OS sure.

...Plus I have always been a fan of having multiple systems to handle rendering and encoding so I don't tie up my main system. Keeping projects internally means a lengthly process to move them to external drive. Better off just utilizing a fast external drive right away and not being held back.
                                I have functional previous workstations (and space) to take advantage of this when I've had a lot to do at the same time. A couple of really fast USB-c SSDs are better than some clunky network-drive setup imo (although expensive ones can be screaming fast if it's all ethernet).

Comment

Working...
                                X