Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow this place is *ahem* dead... who turned in on time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow this place is *ahem* dead... who turned in on time?

Anyone, Bueller?
    Dead Inside - ZombiefestII 2015 -- The Red Barn - Halloween USERFest 2012 -- Bad Pumpkin - ScareFest 2011 -- Thick Window - VillainFest 2011 -- Lambs of GOD - ThrillerFest 2010 -- Kinship - WestFest 2010 -- Interface - TimeFest 2008

I only received two entries...

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

Comment

Keep it open for another month??
      Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
      Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Ramsey View Post
        That's really unfortunate. I came here in 2008 and my goal was always to place in the top 3 but not like this.

I know that the little short fests are not the bread and butter of this site but is there an overall down turn in activity?
        Dead Inside - ZombiefestII 2015 -- The Red Barn - Halloween USERFest 2012 -- Bad Pumpkin - ScareFest 2011 -- Thick Window - VillainFest 2011 -- Lambs of GOD - ThrillerFest 2010 -- Kinship - WestFest 2010 -- Interface - TimeFest 2008

Comment

That's very disappointing in terms of the (very) low turn-out. Though to be fair to those who did follow through and actually made and submitted their films, the competition should still proceed. It is proceeding, right?

Comment

I will give some prizes to the ones who entered.

Accept No Imitations.
            and...

Comment

Back in 2008 I believe there were at least 50 (or more) films entered...so yeah, it has slowed down a bit. Seems the focus of the community has shifted from flimmaking to camera specs, all well & good...just different. Personally, I miss the old days where we supported & pushed each other into making a film. Good, bad or indifferent...we were actually MAKING something, using the tools & creativity we have...making it happen and helping each other along the way. A big part of it for me was that we each kept a film production log as we went along. It was great to read about how each filmmaker overcame the hurdles of 'no budget' filmmaking. Just knowing you weren't the only one running into problems put you at ease. If you had a problem you couldn't solve, fellow DVXer's would jump in and offer to help any way they could...great community!

This is an example of a film thread from days past... my second film entry from the "Twilight Fest 2008" (a lot of us back then shot & entered 2 films). Give it a read & see what I mean (the Sheriff & Llama incidents):
              http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...-ZazaCast-Film

sigpic

www.zazacast.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZazaCast View Post
                Back in 2008 I believe there were at least 50 (or more) films entered...
                In the original ZombieFest, there were over 90 entries. And that's back when a standard-def DV camera cost over $3500. Definitely we had a lot more filmmakers back then, vs. geartalkers.
                The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Maybe because the prizes that were promised to be announced on June 12th never were announced? ;)
                  Sony FX9 | FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
                  FE: Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8 GM, 28-135/4, 24/1.4, 50/1.8, 90/2.8, 28-70, SEL: 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4
                  Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
                  Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
                  MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Catalina
                  Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Catalina

Comment

I dunno, there's 8 threads open on films. Sure not all could finish but they should still turn in something this week so we can see some zombie goodness. Or post some of the stuff from Zombiefest I.

Back in the day, I keep hearing about Texas Fortune but can't find it to watch anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by dmitrizigany View Post
                      Maybe because the prizes that were promised to be announced on June 12th never were announced? ;)
                      As an infrequent visitor, I investigated the rules and stuff myself, and saw there were never prizes. So that would have made me hesitate. Seems like the fest fell apart when it started?
                      Jeffrey T. Morgan
                      Producer • Director • Cinematographer (Local 600) • Editor
                      www.PrometheusMotionPictures.com . . . Twitter: (at) JeffreyTMorgan

SCARLET-X #1633 "The Dark Knight", Panasonic GH4
                      PL and Canon Mount, Contax Zeiss lenses

Comment

I think Barry's comment pretty much sums it up. Gear talkers. I think a lot of forums eventually experience a slowdown. Too bad. I never entered any of the film fests here so maybe I should not criticize. But this forum has been an incredible resource none the less.
                        MDKfilms - Sound & Film production

Comment

I will certainly own dropping the ball on getting prizes posted, and the part that played in an overall lack of interest.

But, we can't make anyone make a film, and (i'm not saying it's necessarily a bad source of motivation, but...) if a prize list was the thing folks were waiting on to make a move, then I don't think the turnout would have been much greater in the end.

Accept No Imitations.
                          and...

Comment

Just want to put in an actual "I'm sorry" for failing to get the prizes listed sooner for you guys. That was my bad, and I didn't want to minimize that fact. So, I apologize for that. I don't have a good excuse.

Accept No Imitations.
                            and...

Comment

No worries Jason...we all know that you do this for the community. Not sure what we can do to get people amped up for the contest...maybe it was the Zombie theme?? everyone burnt out on zombies?? I for one am super appreciative that you started this one. I did not submit my film because I am waaayyy over the 10 minute mark...sitting around 15 now, but I got a great film out of this that I am going to submit to a lot of festivals. I would never have came up with this story line had it not been for that post several months ago " ZOMBIEFEST". So thank you for running this site and for these contests. I hope that you will still find time to keep them going. I posted some rough frame grabs from my film on my thread "Were Safe NOw" Check em out and let me know what you think. I will post the film in here when we go live with it

Comment

Working...
                              X