Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    i started with the me-66

then after a little more than a year i moved up to the 416.

i still have and love the 416 but i recently got an oktava mk 012 and for indoors stuff i just love it.

i just used it on a short that was shot in a normal house and the oktava did an amazing job. it was very good at only picking up the sound in a fairly small radius around it (using the hypercardioid capsule. i got all three with it)

i know that if i had used the 416 i would have heard a lot of noises from the background and general household noises that the oktava didn't pickup.

i'm glad that so many people kept talking about the oktava and i finally got one.

for the money its an amazing deal. my 416 cost 3x as much.

for outdoors or a larger space i'll use my 416. i'm anxious to have time to do an a/b comparison.

matthew

2. Collapse Details
    I did a search on ebay for the MKH 416, and I see two different versions at different prices. the "MKH-416 T" recently sold for $365, while the "MKH-416 P48" sold for $700. I'm new to this, what's the difference?

3. Collapse Details
    to use the "t" version you need to have a mixer that can output "t" phantom power.

otherwise you would have to buy a "t" phantom power thing.

the p48 is the standard phantom power that the dvx puts out and what most mixers put out.

my sd 302 will do "T" but then it is for all three inputs.

and i believe it also means that the mic is older if it is "t" as i don't think they make it in "t" anymore.

matthew

4. Collapse Details
    Matthewd5, I started this post for shotguns, but I'll add a section on the Oktava too, just cuz its talked about so darn much.

Ive just tried to edit the top post section on the 416 to include a little description about the difference between the P48 and the T version, and a short description on the difference between the K6 power module and the K6P module. But the limit on post length is 10000 characters, so I cant. Heres the addition below:

QUESTION:
    Does anyone think a version of this post for lavaliere mics, wireless systems, and mixers would be useful? Cuz Im prepared to make em if you guys want them. I know most of the stats offhand, and they say repetition is the best way to cement your knowledge.

5. Collapse Details
    Revision 1:
    This is an addition to the Sennheiser MKH416 info, and the Sennheiser ME66/K6 info

SENNHEISER ME66/K6 COMBO:
    HOW YOU CAN BE CONFUSED WHEN BUYING:
    This microphone is a modular unit consisting of the Me66 mic part, and the K6 power pack. The K6 accepts phantom power (supplied by camera or mixer), but accepts an AA 1.5v battery if you dont have phantom. There is also the K6P power unit - IT HAS NO BATTERY COMPARTMENT, so you MUST have phantom available to power the microphone. Careful you get the one you want, because they cost the same. Also be careful you dont see a seemingly cheap ME66 but it turns out to just be the cap (microphone) section with no power unit.

SENNHEISER MKH416:
    HOW YOU CAN BE CONFUSED WHEN BUYING:
    Before phantom power (abbreviation P48) became widely used, many microphones were powered off a different system where power was distributed differently over the wires in an XLR cable, and this format was called T powering (sometimes called simplex powering too, and USUALLY indicated on the mic by means of a red dot). Because the Sennheiser MKH416 has been been in production for decades, there are TWO VERSIONS! The MKH416P48 is powered by PHANTOM POWER (common on cams and mixers). The MKH416T is powered by T POWER (not found on cams, and only found on SOME mixers). Hence, the T version is cheaper because it is not as widely used. If you want to buy a T version, you need a mixer that can supply the power, or an adaptor (they usually look like little black boxes and are heavy) that will convert P48 to T. Dont get tricked by this.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by timapter
    QUESTION:
    Does anyone think a version of this post for lavaliere mics, wireless systems, and mixers would be useful? Cuz Im prepared to make em if you guys want them. I know most of the stats offhand, and they say repetition is the best way to cement your knowledge.
    I would love to see this kind of post for lavaliere mics! CHEERS!

7. Collapse Details
    Me to!!!

8. Collapse Details
    I like your concise, textbook style of relaying info. It's very professional and fun to read. Post all of this that you can!

I wish I'd have set up my threads so intelligently.
    LIGHTING and SOUND AVAILABLE FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OR ON DVD

LIGHTING for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel.................................................. ............................. SOUND for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks matt, thats quite a compliment coming from you.

I'm going to continue adding what I can to this thread (starting with the Oktava even through its a hyper), and then I'll put up a separate post with the lavs soon. If anyone wants to give me what they reckon the top 5 most common/best lavs are ("beginner" or "pro" models), please email me at timapter@webmail.co.za or PM me. Lets not post about Lavs in here or it will pollute the thread - and my idea with this is to keep the topic very focussed so everyone gets exactly what they want when they read it.

Glad you guys think this is a useful thread.

10. Collapse Details
    yes!!!
    ok my first post, and so on,
    iīm a film student, iīm graduating, and getting ready for action, my passion are documentaries, i live in Quito-Ecuador, i purchase my DVX100a, 2 months ago, sorry i didnīt know the "B" was comming.
    But yes this is the forum to visit if your are going pro on DVX, thatīs for sure,

well, very nice all the info about the boom mic, perfect, just when i need to get my.

So, i will get a boom, arm, and adaptors, this month, i have DECIDE, WHICH ONE, PLEASE HELP. BASICLY I WILL USE IT, IN SHOOTING DOCUMENTARIES, SHORT FILMS, IN AND OUT, AND MUSIC VIDEOS-
    PLUS, I HAVE TO BY 2 LAVALIER MICS.

I WANT TO USE ALL WITH THE DVX. SO ANY IDEAS, I HAVE TO MAKE DECISIONS, AND THATS THE HARD PART IīM THINKING TO SPEND IN THAT
    1200, SO PLEASE. SEND FITBACK...
    THANKS, VIC

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast