1. Collapse Details
    C300 III for PL Mount Lenses
    Is there a SKU for the Canon C300 III that comes with a PL mount installed rather than the EF mount? I'd prefer to buy the camera that way rather than buy it with the EF mount and then have to buy and install the PL adapter separately.

Why is the Canon PL mount for the C300 III so expensive? $1600 seems excessive for a simple metal adapter without optics. The PL mount for the Blackmagic Ursa Mini is only $245.

2. Collapse Details
    It's officially only sold with the EF mount everywhere, but you should be able to put in a special order for it through your country's Canon, or an authorized dealer (which could possibly provide you a bit of a discount).

A lot of machined parts were always really expensive in this industry. PL mounts 10 years ago were around $5000 for practically the same part that's sold today.

Blackmagic has a different philosophy for everything they do.

3. Collapse Details
    PL is the fancy-pants mount. The high-end mount. The “Hollywood” mount.

So right there Canon is going to put a premium price on it. It is a better mounting system than e or EF which are both from the Stills world.

You’re paying to get the best there is.
    Big sources matter.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    Is there a SKU for the Canon C300 III that comes with a PL mount installed rather than the EF mount? I'd prefer to buy the camera that way rather than buy it with the EF mount and then have to buy and install the PL adapter separately.

Why is the Canon PL mount for the C300 III so expensive? $1600 seems excessive for a simple metal adapter without optics. The PL mount for the Blackmagic Ursa Mini is only $245.
    Most camera PL mounts today are not just dumb metal mounts anymore, they have electronics and contacts for communication (and powering) of some lenses. Usually pins for both Cooke i/Date and Arri LDS systems(although Canon looks like they only use the "open" i/Data system). $1600 is still a tough pill to swallow, but it's not just an "adapter", in this case.

5. Collapse Details
    The Canon locking EF mount is $2200, and its electrical contacts are just a pass-through. Strange how this mount is $600 more than the PL mount...

6. Collapse Details
    Wooden Camera now sells a PL mount that works with the Canon C300 III and it's about $600 cheaper than Canon's version.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...for_canon.html

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by robotfist View Post
    Wooden Camera now sells a PL mount that works with the Canon C300 III and it's about $600 cheaper than Canon's version.
    Thanks for the heads up! Been wanting to pick up the PL mount but the price was definitely slowing me down.
    KENNY McMILLAN
    www.owlbot.co
    @_owlbot