Thread: Fuji XT-3

1. Collapse Details
    Fuji XT-3
    I am thinking of using a Fuji X-T3 for Fuji film tone look and autofocus tracking faces if I use Fujinon with the X mount. I don't think I will need to use a speed booster adapter if Fujinon is sufficient for 4K work.

My intention is to shoot full-frame 4K DCI uncompressed at 60 fps and then in DaVinci Resolve crop for 2.40:1

This seems like quite a good way of obtaining 4K 60 fps video footage for further manipulation using Fuji's own color science and LUTs.

Has anyone else gone this route film making and if so would you repeat it or do things differently? Would you think about a BMPCC4K instead?

Change anything with the Fujinon lens idea?

Your thoughts, please.

My budget is 3K max.

2. Collapse Details
    X-T3 has a S35 sensor (not full-frame) and there's a minor crop when shooting 4K/60p (1.2x on top of the S35 crop).

Face-tracking will recognize faces but it will be hit or miss because AF is limited.

Color science is very nice, especially in the baked-in film simulations, but per usual the most DR comes from F-Log.

There are many fast and beautiful Fujifilm lenses.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    X-T3 has a S35 sensor (not full-frame) and there's a minor crop when shooting 4K/60p (1.2x on top of the S35 crop).

Face-tracking will recognize faces but it will be hit or miss because AF is limited.

Color science is very nice, especially in the baked-in film simulations, but per usual the most DR comes from F-Log.

There are many fast and beautiful Fujifilm lenses.
    Thanks for the tip on the crop and the constraints of AF with it.

I am hoping that the image quality especially colors and film simulation will be the pay off for those crop sacrifices at 4K DCI image resolution with the Fujifilm system.

4. Collapse Details
    It definitely will be; it's a nice camera with a lot of features.

Also, just to be clear (even though I think you meant Fujifilm), Fujinon only makes cinema lenses without AF unless you were thinking about adapting one of the servo ones but I don't think so because of their prices.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    I have an X-T3 that I just use for stills. It's fun and I like the available glass, the control, and the resulting image. I have no idea if it (or the X-T4) will work for you. But three suggestions:

1) Check out pal2tech's YouTube videos.
    He focuses on Fujifilm cameras, has a goofy (and fun) persona, and also provides good information.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/pal2tech/

2) Dig into the Auto Focus options with the camera.
    Read the manual, and/or check out the above guy's videos that focus (ha!) on auto focus. Here's a quick search result:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/pal2tech/s...y=auto%20focus
    For example, you'll probably want to turn on "boost" mode. It makes AF faster, but drains the battery a bit quicker.
    And check out the Focus Range Limiter which you can use to constrain the camera's AF to a certain set of distances from the camera. So the AF won't try to focus on the back wall when you want it to just focus on the character who for that shot or interview will always be 10 to 15 feet from you (or whatever).

3) Spend some time with the owner's manual before you buy.
    That's usually a good idea for any bit of equipment, but I think a bit more so for a Fujifilm camera since they have a smaller marketshare than Canon and Sony. A good way to figure out if the camera -might- do what you want.
    http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x-t3/

4) Rent the camera and perhaps the XF18-55 lens (plus an extra battery or two)
    For three to seven days. That'll cost you $100-$150 or so, I think. Totally worth it to see if the camera does what you want and if you like using it. Buy a card so you can work with the footage on your computer and see what you think of evaluating, editing, and grading the footage.
    Here's the BorrowLenses page for the camera. There's also Lensprotogo and other online options. And perhaps a local store can set you up. https://www.borrowlenses.com/product...Digital-Camera

Note that battery life on the X-T3 isn't great. So you might want to consider the battery grip, getting a few small internal batteries, or looking into an external battery.

Let us know what you think!
    Last edited by Jim Feeley; 04-15-2021 at 08:32 AM.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    This is all great feedback on the Fujifilm X-T experience. Thank you.

7. Collapse Details
    I have the XT4. It's great for video.

I use the Viltrox knockoffs of Fuji lenses, and they are pretty good with autofocus IMO (though can't compare to industry-leading Sony and Canon). Viltrox lenses also apparently have better manual focus abilities.

Every time I deliver XT4 footage to a client, they're really impressed. The client often is using a "superior" camera and then quickly wants to switch to XT4 themselves. I think it is the result of shooting in the built in Eterna profile.
    "You'd better cure all those personal problems that might be holding back something you want to say." -John Cassavetes

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Resident Preditor Matt Gottshalk's Avatar
    Yup, fujifilm’s x series cameras have great “mojo”.
    Matt Gottshalk
    Director of Production
    BPI.tv