Thread: NO Sony Fs7!!

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I pulled the trigger and bought the FX9.

I wanted to buy from Texas Media Systems. But their mobile website is difficult to navigate. And when I finally found the FX9 listing and placed in my cart it said “pre-order” in red. I don’t want to pre-order. I want to order. Elsewhere the site said “ships in 3-7 business days”. I want it sooner than that and need it sooner. Need it for a shoot next week. I want it shipped today. You gotta have ‘em in stock, ready to be shipped pronto, TMS. I ordered from B&H.

I also got the XDCA, Chrosziel shoulder-plate and top-plate, Wooden Camera VF mount that is a rail-style and not a rod. Forgot to buy a rain cover. May see if my Porta B rain cover for Fs7 fits.

I don’t know why I am not more excited than I am. Maybe because, loosely speaking, the FX9 isn’t all that different from the Fs7 I own now. And many of my fav lenses I own won’t cover full-frame. Kinda feels like I am shelling out $16k for features that do not interest me much- FF, Cinetone, “6k”, AF. And with the purchase making a bunch of my glass less usable.

I held off on getting any Sony G zooms to take advantage of AF. Need to research those more and maybe try out first.
    Big sources matter.

2. Collapse Details
    TMS and Terry are amazing, but TMS has one of the most difficult websites around (like many, many other companies, even Adorama to some degree), IMO.

B&H's is far superior than everyone's and on another level.

I know it's a fast-paced world, and I really can relate with your decision (aka now not later), but you should have at least called the guy if you were thinking about purchasing from them.

3. Collapse Details
    “you should have at least called the guy if you were thinking about purchasing from them.”

I thought about calling but I’m lazy and it was easier to click, click, buy from B&H.
    Last edited by JPNola; 04-12-2021 at 05:48 PM.
    Big sources matter.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    I'll cross my fingers for 'ya JP. B&H is at the bottom of my list for fast anything these days. I ordered an in-stock piece last Tuesday. Was supposed to be here today(which is already more than double the time it would have taken pre-covid), but instead they just got around to shipping it today and they are estimating delivery NEXT Tuesday(I don't need it right now, it's just a spare). The only thing B&H has going for them right now is covering sales tax(if you use PayBoo, but of course there is a limit on the card). B&H's website/on-line purchase system is probably second only to Amazon, but their shipping and exchange support, right now, is some of the worst I have (continually) experienced in the last ~12 months.

5. Collapse Details
    A buddy here locally has an FX9 I can rent if mine does not arrive in time.

I have maintained good relationships with all the local Owner / Ops. They help me out, I help them out. NOLA is a smallish market. If in the biz here you know everyone else in the biz locally. The Sound Ops I use work for the other Owner / Ops as well. It’s a bit incestuous but in a good way. We all family. I’ve stepped in for other shooters when they had an injury / medical issue and not billed them anything for it.
    Big sources matter.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I'll cross my fingers for 'ya JP. B&H is at the bottom of my list for fast anything these days. I ordered an in-stock piece last Tuesday. Was supposed to be here today(which is already more than double the time it would have taken pre-covid), but instead they just got around to shipping it today and they are estimating delivery NEXT Tuesday(I don't need it right now, it's just a spare). The only thing B&H has going for them right now is covering sales tax(if you use PayBoo, but of course there is a limit on the card). B&H's website/on-line purchase system is probably second only to Amazon, but their shipping and exchange support, right now, is some of the worst I have (continually) experienced in the last ~12 months.
    I've gotten to know some of the sales people at BH as I'm a regular walk-in. The consensus from the employees is that they're being pushed hard by ownership/management who has cut staff significantly. IMO it looks as if BH is suffering financially from the epidemic as a whole, but especially from the tremendous reduction in international tourism in NYC. A trip to the store used to be like going to the United Nations -- a hodgepodge of languages being spoken and many, many European tourists with deep pockets and a desire to avoid GST, who for the most part haven't returned to NYC... All that being said, as you mentioned Run n Gun, BH's customer service (especially phone and shipping) has been horrific the last 12 months and they're seriously in jeopardy of losing long time customers, who, unlike myself don't live in NY and can't walk into the store...

7. Collapse Details
    Will Canon EF lenses perform autofocus on a FX9 with the right adapter?

I thought they would not AF when on a lens adapter, no way no how, regardless of adapter. But someone just told me they will AF with one of the newer version Meta EF-e adapters.
    Big sources matter.

8. Collapse Details
    Not sure I'd throw all the delivery blame on B&H.
    I had a recent order shipped from them that arrived several days late. It was FedEx Ground, and I'm well within the radius that FedEx lists as being 1-day delivery for ground. FedEx tracking showed it as being on their truck and 'out for delivery' three days in a row - and since the first of those days was a Thursday the third day was Monday - when it actually arrived. Maybe it's a low priority because it's Ground, but that looks like a FedEx issue to me.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    Will Canon EF lenses perform autofocus on a FX9 with the right adapter?

I thought they would not AF when on a lens adapter, no way no how, regardless of adapter. But someone just told me they will AF with one of the newer version Meta EF-e adapters.
    Unless there's some magic new metabones adapter I'm not aware of (and I highly doubt there is), you will only get good single autofocus by adapting EF lenses, not continuous autofocus. You can get some continuous autofocus performance, but it will be very unreliable. Which probably renders the whole endeavor moot. I looked at a lot of reviews of different adapters and youtube tests before coming to this conclusion, and it was about 7 or 8 months ago that I did the research, so I doubt anything has substantially changed. But I'd be glad to hear if it has. and that's the rub about "having" autofocus - there isn't much quantitative data reported to compare performance just looking at a spec sheet. Hence the countless hours of youtube tests.

Edit: looks like the latest metabones ef-e adapter launched in 2017, so I dont think anything has changed since I researched the issue

10. Collapse Details
    AF is greyed out in video mode on the A7SIII with the Metabones EF-E IV with all of my Canon glass. AF will work with the same on my FS7 but it's pretty much worthless anyway...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast