Thread: NO Sony Fs7!!

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What's KB?

One thing I think will be interesting is impossible focus shots - having focus in 2 planes simultaneously but soft in-between. Or expanding your depth of field mid-shot which is currently doable with complicated gadgets that readjust shutter angle and aperture simultaneously to compensate for exposure

The classic shot where someone looks at something and we rack focus to the thing and then back to their face could become they look at the thing which then also comes into focus so we can keep seeing their face

2. Collapse Details
    Ken Burns

3. Collapse Details
    The Lytros could also change aperture if this is what you mean by expanding depth-of-field.

This would be pretty nuts if you could do this in video (in post).

You couldn't possibly fail at anything you pointed your camera at.

4. Collapse Details
    Yes I know they can do it in stills. I just mean in video. Additional area coming into focus rather than changing focus from one place to snother

5. Collapse Details
    In the video above when you see only the person's face in focus and then the background slowly comes into focus while the face stays in focus, it's a slow ramp in aperture from like f/1.4 (or whatever) to f/8, f/10, etc.

I don't know how this could be practical in video with the complicated equipment you mentioned above. What's used?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    The Lytros could also change aperture if this is what you mean by expanding depth-of-field.

This would be pretty nuts if you could do this in video (in post).

You couldn't possibly fail at anything you pointed your camera at.

Looks kinda like the trick you can do on
    the Sony cameras which have the variable
    ND. Just put the ND in ‘auto’ mode and
    change your iris. Basically can ‘rack’ the
    depth of field from shallow to deep or
    vice versa. As the iris opens up further,
    more ND is automatically inserted or as
    the iris closes down, more ND is taken out.
    The end result, the exposure stays the same
    but the depth of field changes.

7. Collapse Details
    That would definitely do it but there's always that little problem called exposure, lol.

I guess it depends how smooth the light transition looks. Looks good for such a major increase/decrease?

There are no light changes in the above samples.

8. Collapse Details
    True, Sony eND could do it if the transition is invisible. Though it would also be nice to expand DOF between 2 points without necessarily getting everything in the foreground and background in focus. And you probably need more light with the eND method to get you an exposure at that fat stop, rather than simulating it later.

NorBro, the device I saw for automatically adjusting shutter angle to compensate for aperture changes and maintain exposure was something I saw advertised for film cameras about 12 or 13 years ago. It may have been something you programmed rather than operating on the fly. The example I remember from the film they showed was a shallow DOF shot of some people having a picnic. Then someone on a bicycle rides past them, and the DOF expands to keep the bicyclist in focus as they ride into the background. But, of course, the downside was that you had to use a variable shutter angle rather than staying at 180-degree.

And what would be cool with focus-after-the-fact is if the picnic blanket/group stays in focus and then a focal plane follows the bicyclist into the background so she's in focus, too. But not the rest of the frame. Or maybe it would look really weird and unnatural. But it could be cool.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny 123 View Post
    Sony hybrid AF is 90% there and that was only in the last few years .. the change from contrast only has been huge .. always an outside chance Im wrong .. but I would bet the farm within 10 years at the very most ,AF will be a thing in high end production.. camera first and some lenses.. then all the others will rush into it .. if its going to save time and so money it will happen ..
    A system that locks you into using Sony stills lenses with all their shortcomings by feature standards, and Sony cameras is not, in my opinion, 90% there.

I understand the benefits for videographers and one man band outfits in some circumstances.

Relatively speaking the Supreme Primes have just come out after 30 years of Master Primes. The life cycle and design phase of a Zeiss cinema lens package is enormous. What you are talking about is not something coming right round the corner.

EDIT: I have no idea why I keep posting in this thread. Sorry if it seems I'm just disagreeing for the sake of it now.

Every time I'm out, they pull me back in...
    Last edited by Ben Scott; 04-19-2021 at 02:43 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

My reel
    Website

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Scott View Post
    A system that locks you into using Sony stills lenses with all their shortcomings by feature standards, and Sony cameras is not, in my opinion, 90% there.

I understand the benefits for videographers and one man band outfits in some circumstances.

Relatively speaking the Supreme Primes have just come out after 30 years of Master Primes. The life cycle and design phase of a Zeiss cinema lens package is enormous. What you are talking about is not something coming right round the corner.

EDIT: I have no idea why I keep posting in this thread. Sorry if it seems I'm just disagreeing for the sake of it now.

Every time I'm out, they pull me back in...
    I mean the technology not the hardware ,yes I doubt feature films will be using $500 FE lenses .. thats wasn't my point but yes Sony are making Cine zooms with AF already that could quite easily be used on a feature film .. still relatively cheap around $6K.. things can change quickly these days .. looking at the past is not really a good guide .. nothing changed for about 100 years till quite recently .... look at how lighting has changed so much in a only a few years .. massive films using LED lights !! you would be laughed out of the room saying that 5 years ago . Sky panels have taken over the world .. if its cheaper ,and faster and works ..it will happen .. look at the huge fall in price of some of the post expensivee s35 lenses when the LF mini came out .. the thing that will swing it .. Roger Deakins will use an AF camera rig ,he's always up for new tech , then everyone will

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast