Thread: Mic stands

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I reckon the manfrotto is quite a good thing. It has the rigid countermass?? Better than the adorama swinger.

If you have the correct griphead that manfrotto will go on any stand with a baby pin.

1 load and extend
    2 find balance point
    3 move griphead to balance point
    4 attach griphead to stand
    5 elevate
    6 bring in wife

2. Collapse Details
    Is this loaded lefty loosy? any heavyness at the mic end will undo the knuckle?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post

3. Collapse Details
    Ahh, Morgan. You are just too good. Beers to you. I noticed that after I posted it and wondered if anyone would notice. It's not that obvious because the high side of the pole is usually the mic side. You really have to look at the pole and the way it rests in the holder to realize I put the holder in backwards.
    Last edited by Paul F; 04-10-2021 at 08:20 AM.
    Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    Any recommendations on mic stands with boom arms that can hold?
    The best I know of are from Latch Lake. Not cheap. Not light weight. But rock solid. Lot of these in music studios holding very expensive mics.

5. Collapse Details
    Maybe I'm missing the point, but I use boom pole on a C-Stand with a boom cradle for literally all of my projects. The multiple trips to the car thing I totally get but I got a cheap cart (Was cheaper when I got it lol; Now they have multiple versions too) with a grip n gaff bag. Total life saver for me on my projects as I work out of a car too. The last projects I did would have been a total nightmare to do solo without it.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleCanFly View Post
    Maybe I'm missing the point, but I use boom pole on a C-Stand with a boom cradle for literally all of my projects. The multiple trips to the car thing I totally get but I got a cheap cart (Was cheaper when I got it lol; Now they have multiple versions too) with a grip n gaff bag. Total life saver for me on my projects as I work out of a car too. The last projects I did would have been a total nightmare to do solo without it.
    Yes, this seems to be getting way too involved and over-thought for what is pretty simple. You need 1) a C-stand(or any decently sturdy stand) with a grip head, 2) some type of cradle for a boom pole, 3) a decent boom pole(designed for booming a mic, not a boom arm designed for lighting/grip) and 4) a sand/shot bag for the stand. There should be no real reason to need to counterbalance a boom pole designed for "booming" if we're talking about reasonable extension distances(~10'). I've never had a grip head with a boom/mic and cradle slip, when properly tightened(and facing the correct direction).

7. Collapse Details
    Ok this is what I came up with. I bought a K-tek boom pole and Hollywood beefy baby steel light stand

8. Collapse Details
    The beefy baby is basically a C-stand with a different base. I have several that I replaced C-stands with for field use for the wider base. Which K-tek did you get? They have changed the design on their high-end carbon fiber poles. Roughly the same price, but MUCH beefier(and heavier[relatively speaking since we’re talking about CF poles]). I do like the new design on the mounting end, though. Super easy to change cables.

9. Collapse Details
    I purchased a used K-Tek KE-89CC Avalon in good condition for $50. For my purposes it's all I need because I'm only going to use if for static subjects such as interviews and singing. Funny thing the stand was more expensive than the boom $200.

Part of the problem with the c-stands is I don't have a carrying case, they don't fit easily into a car, and there isn't an easy way for me to load them on my cart without them falling off.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 04-11-2021 at 11:02 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    That's not bad. Those poles go for about $185 new. As far as C-stands go, I always buy the turtle base versions(I do have two fixed base from my very early days) so you can pack them up in a case for "easy" transport. You can fit four to five(depending on how much of a glutton-for-punishment you are) in a Pelican 1750 with the bases and arms. Eat your Wheaties the morning you need to break that case out. I believe a few case/bag manufacturers actually make some soft bags for transporting turtle base C-stands. And I'll say this, too... Gear transportation is a continually evolving process. You get a system you "like" and it won't be long till you are looking for or have found a new "system". The best I've found so far, is having someone else carry everything for you. ; )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast