Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy9 View Post
    This is like the Cinesaddle but with shoulder straps and velcro straps on the back. In practice, the weight is distributed between shoulders and lower back / hips.
    https://www.amazon.com/OPENMOON-Came.../dp/B079QX23SC
    Sweet Baby Jesus... There IS something that looks more ridiculous than an Easyrig.

It’s like an inner tube/pool float with shoulder straps. I’m having flashbacks of cartoons with hillbillies wearing barrels with shoulder straps/suspenders.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Sweet Baby Jesus... There IS something that looks more ridiculous than an Easyrig.

It’s like an inner tube/pool float with shoulder straps. I’m having flashbacks of cartoons with hillbillies wearing barrels with shoulder straps/suspenders.
    That's one of the best product photos I've ever seen. I would for sure try the openmoon d bag.

3. Collapse Details
    So, another vote for the EasyRig. Fair enough. And it doesn't look like I could cheap out on the Flowline either. I came across a review that showed specifically how it doesn't work for taller people -- because the pole height is not adjustable, either the weight-bearing hip strap ends up across your stomach, or you're bumping your head on the top bar. Not to mention other potential quality issues. I need to rent one (an EasyRig) and get a sense of it firsthand. I watched a few reviews of the MiniMax and noticed some odd movement in the roll-axis in some of the footage. Another thing to look out for.

Do people usually use the CineSaddle as their primary handheld instrument? I always thought it was for getting low to the ground or car rigging. But if throwing the strap over your shoulder can get decent result (albeit a stiff neck), it is an intriguing option because I doubt anyone would pay any mind when shooting in a public area.

I don't know if I could bring myself to use the OpenMoon. I think I can grasp the relief offered by the design but add to this my production regular knee pads and a light meter dangling from my neck, and I'd be an SNL skit.

As I recall, DVTec and Varizoom offered shoulder rigs with a spring-loaded pole that was loaded into a belt strap for hands-free operation. I never got to use one and I haven't heard of anyone using those products in a decade. Do these designs still have anything to offer?
    Last edited by QuickHitRecord; 04-09-2021 at 12:35 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    The eternal conundrum!

I think you really need to break down your requirements in extreme and nerdy detail.

-eyeline
    -how much rolling
    -how much hanging out.
    -how much sun

Firstly Im 6.5 and would not wear an easy rig in public place. I would consider it as part of planned narrative. I tried it on a doco (when there were crowds and pubs and drunk people and low doors) and it was a pure danger.

So.. lots of rolling? mono pod
    lots of hanging out ? shoulder rig and put the camera down when possible.

A proper balanced shoulder rig is not a thing many have tried - they can be extremely good.. but with a C70 you will need 50cm rods and vlock at the back and probably an EVF.

Shoulder rig eyeline? You could have the rig rods as the top of the camera to move the lens down 5in but is pretty unconventional.

There is also a tripod! Something like my miller solo can almost be dragged through a crowd as simply as a mono pod as the legs flap in.

5. Collapse Details

6. Collapse Details
    "I don't know if I could bring myself to use the OpenMoon. I think I can grasp the relief offered by the design but add to this my production regular knee pads and a light meter dangling from my neck, and I'd be an SNL skit." The guy in the (comedy) picture must be tiny - it's not that conspicuous. It's certainly not as conspicuous (or as ridiculous-looking) as the EasyRig. Although relative hilarity is a judgement call.

I'm also too tall for shoulder mount. The OpenMoon means I can switch between low chest height (camera resting on support) to just below eye level (elbows resting on support).

7. Collapse Details
    I've had one of these for a number of years now and for those interminable on your feet for ages meet and greet pre-drinks at gala-type events it works great. Pretty flexible. Very configurable for height, left to right, tilt etc. Has a spring-loaded post which is pretty simple and quick to adjust and use locked or unlocked. Just make sure the weight is carried on the hips and you can move pretty smoothly. Too high and you will see a bit of rise and fall as you breathe in and out. In the pits at motorsport events where you are doing numerous PTCs and it's too cluttered underfoot for sticks and even a monopod at times because of cables, air hoses, and general trip over road cases and stuff on the floor type things it's been my go-to support. Mine dates back to EX3 days but I've used it with everything from EX3s, X70/Z90s, A7's, and even a stripped-down FS7. The testament is everyone who's used mine loves it and it's been borrowed a number of times. People say "Why don't we see more of these around?" I have no answer to that but for me it just works. BTW it will sit down on a table or on the deck quite securely sitting on its handles (when locked) and the should arch support. If it's balanced correctly you can do low POV walking shots by holding your camera handle and it won't rock-n-roll on its longitudinal axis too much.

Chris Young

https://www.varizoom.com/product/vzdvmediarig/

These videos date back some eight years but it's a reasonable overview of what you can do with one.

Last edited by cyvideo; 04-09-2021 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Added to

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickbaldwin View Post
    The HipShot is great for certain uses and situations. I have one and have used it over the years(also a lot of reality shooters used it and I believe the DP on Anthony Bourdain’s Parts Unknown really loved it for their style of work), but it was originally designed for large ENG cameras and using it with a small camera like a C70 would probably be a little tough unless it’s built-up into a long shoulder rig.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    So, another vote for the EasyRig. Fair enough. And it doesn't look like I could cheap out on the Flowline either. I came across a review that showed specifically how it doesn't work for taller people -- because the pole height is not adjustable, either the weight-bearing hip strap ends up across your stomach, or you're bumping your head on the top bar. Not to mention other potential quality issues. I need to rent one (an EasyRig) and get a sense of it firsthand. I watched a few reviews of the MiniMax and noticed some odd movement in the roll-axis in some of the footage. Another thing to look out for.

Do people usually use the CineSaddle as their primary handheld instrument? I always thought it was for getting low to the ground or car rigging. But if throwing the strap over your shoulder can get decent result (albeit a stiff neck), it is an intriguing option because I doubt anyone would pay any mind when shooting in a public area.

I don't know if I could bring myself to use the OpenMoon. I think I can grasp the relief offered by the design but add to this my production regular knee pads and a light meter dangling from my neck, and I'd be an SNL skit.

As I recall, DVTec and Varizoom offered shoulder rigs with a spring-loaded pole that was loaded into a belt strap for hands-free operation. I never got to use one and I haven't heard of anyone using those products in a decade. Do these designs still have anything to offer?
    If you keep going back to the EasyRig, I’d rent one for a week(that’s what I did) from somewhere like Lens Rentals and really evaluate if it’s something that can work for you and WITH you. The smaller ones, like what was used with the C300/II’s on the reality show I operated on for a few days, aren’t as bad as the big boy models. I demo’d the largest Vario they make, because I shoot mostly with large, heavy cameras. My problems with the big Vario was it was just big and clumsy feeling on me and made it tough getting around, especially in tight or tighter spaces(and I’m only 5’ 7”), I kept whacking the camera into the pole when I’d try to shoot “on the shoulder” and when I’d actually try to shoot on the shoulder, the camera would never sit there, no matter how I adjusted the tension. At that height, it always kept trying to lift the camera off my shoulder.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    The eternal conundrum!

I think you really need to break down your requirements in extreme and nerdy detail.

-eyeline
    -how much rolling
    -how much hanging out.
    -how much sun
    Good breakdown! Scores more points for the monopod.

Firstly Im 6.5 and would not wear an easy rig in public place. I would consider it as part of planned narrative. I tried it on a doco (when there were crowds and pubs and drunk people and low doors) and it was a pure danger.
    See, this is what I'd be concerned about. It's already hard enough to get around as it is.

There is also a tripod! Something like my miller solo can almost be dragged through a crowd as simply as a mono pod as the legs flap in.
    My favorite and always my first choice. Throw it on the ultradolly for some movement. But sometimes clients want something else.

Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    I've had one of these for a number of years now and for those interminable on your feet for ages meet and greet pre-drinks at gala-type events it works great. Pretty flexible. Very configurable for height, left to right, tilt etc. Has a spring-loaded post which is pretty simple and quick to adjust and use locked or unlocked.
    Wow, this is a glowing review. It always looked like a clever design. I guess I was always wondering what the catch was. Is the shoulder arch support rigid, or does it have some give so that it can be shaped to one's individual shoulder more? And can the connecting rod be pointed in a more downward direction to the put the camera at solar plexus height?

Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    The smaller ones, like what was used with the C300/II’s on the reality show I operated on for a few days, aren’t as bad as the big boy models.
    At my height, I'd only ever consider the MiniMax, which rents pretty inexpensively. People always think it's great to be tall but the world was not designed for us. Beds, countertops, most passenger cars, and handheld camera equipment all pose problems.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast