Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    These controls are, of course, what Varizoom is known for but as far as I know, they don't have anything that interfaces with the Canon cinema line.
    Really? I thought any of Varizoom's LANC controllers would work with the c300?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Really? I thought any of Varizoom's LANC controllers would work with the c300?
    What I meant is that I don't think any of the more recent Canon cinema cameras have a LANC interface.

3. Collapse Details
    Now I'm confused. B&H claims that both the C300mk3 and the C70 have 2.5mm LANC ports

4. Collapse Details
    There is a 'Remote' terminal on my C70. The manual says that it can be controlled with the astronomically-priced Canon RC-V100 or "commercially available remote controls". No mention of LANC specifically, but I have a LANC controller here that I plugged into the C70 and didn't have rec/stop control.
    Last edited by QuickHitRecord; 04-19-2021 at 12:40 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    How annoying. I wonder if the c300 handgrip would work. Maybe varizoom will come out with a product for it. The canon remote is nearly $2k!

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    A little update here. Thanks to all of the advice and pointers and observations in this thread, I ended up buying two new rigs: the Dougmon (with the sling) and the Varizoom Media Rig. I haven't used either on a shoot yet, but as far as first impressions go, I am quite impressed with both.

The Dougmon - It's comfortable, adjustable, and ergonomic. I can already see how putting the unit on my arm will ease wrist strain and fatigue. And as a bonus, it takes some of the micro jitters out when using non-stabilized lenses. Not completely, but it's a significant improvement. But I think that the most value for me is when the Dougmon is propped up into the sling, which removes even more of the jitters. It basically becomes a monopod that you can make lateral moves with. Plus, it's easily height-adjustable and once clipped in (I still need to get a clip), I can take both hands off of it if I need to. The wider base and wider sling are the key to its stability. I like that this isn't something that's going to attract a ton of attention like an EasyRig. It's such a smart design. It's really too bad that it was priced beyond most people's budgets when it debuted, otherwise I think it would have been extremely popular. I have no doubt that I could shoot for a LOT longer than any shoulder rig I've ever used with this.

The Varizoom Media Rig - I wasn't going to invest in a second system, but this was being sold as "non-operational" on account of a wobbly QR platform for $80. My curiosity got the better of me and I was able to fix it pretty easily. It's basically a lightweight shoulder rig with the ability to make smooth tilts. It feels like it was designed to put the EVF of a camera like the HVX200 or EX1 right in front of your eye, and the camera can't be lowered by very much. In my case, it's going to work well with my 16mm camera. Once the spring pole is in place, the weight really comes off of the arms. I can hang my hands off of the grips, which are nice and low. At the moment, it pulls to the left a little so I need to adjust the counterweight to compensate. I'm not sure I'd ever be comfortable taking both hands off of the handles, but again, it's tiltable! I feel like I could run this one all day too; the only downside is that the camera controls are not accessible without removing a hand from the handles. These controls are, of course, what Varizoom is known for but as far as I know, they don't have anything that interfaces with the Canon cinema line.
    dougmon/slingmon looks like a decent set up, glad you're liking it so far.

The VMR looks clunky to me but that may not matter once you're up and running. Pretty cool you got one for $80 though so it's a no brainer to try out. Plus all of these rigs are so personal so whatever works!

7. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    This is another solution to this puzzle. It won't be for everyone, but I believe it will fill a solid niche.

https://thezeegee.com/
    Last edited by CharlesPapert; 04-21-2021 at 01:43 PM.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    This is another solution to this puzzle. It won't be for everyone, but I believe it will fill a solid niche.

theezeegee.com
    I think that link should be https://thezeegee.com/

9. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    gah. Thanks Abe, fixed it in my post. BBS code gets me every time.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234