1. Collapse Details
    Lens hood for step up ring
    Trying to find a lens hood that will fit my Tamron 28-75 with 67mm-->77mm step-up ring + 77mm black pro mist filter. The original one won't fit any more. Suggestions?

2. Collapse Details

3. Collapse Details
    there's also this whack-ass universal lens hood from kuvrd that was on kickstarter and looks like it has finally come to market: https://www.amazon.com/KUVRD-Univers...59059984&psc=1

although i think the idea is that you don't need the ring, you just wedge the circular filter in there. supposedly it works. i was planning to buy one for use on gimbal so i don't need a matte box but i hadn't seen it actually shipping until now

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    there's also this whack-ass universal lens hood from kuvrd that was on kickstarter and looks like it has finally come to market: https://www.amazon.com/KUVRD-Univers...59059984&psc=1

although i think the idea is that you don't need the ring, you just wedge the circular filter in there. supposedly it works. i was planning to buy one for use on gimbal so i don't need a matte box but i hadn't seen it actually shipping until now
    If it was a kickstarter campaign I wouldn't even consider it but now that it's on amazon the kuvrd looks like it's worth trying.

5. Collapse Details
    If your mission is to cut flare you could consider a french flag (or cornflake box side taped black or top flag of an abandoned matte box) on a little arm.

This will work properly with the zoom range and wont get in the way if you change lenses.

A normal shade wide enough not to vignette at 28 will not cut flare at 70

Mybe google mamiya g2 bellows lens hood
    Last edited by morgan_moore; 04-08-2021 at 12:20 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    If your mission is to cut flare you could consider a french flag (or cornflake box side taped black or top flag of an abandoned matte box) on a little arm.

This will work properly with the zoom range and wont get in the way if you change lenses.

A normal shade wide enough not to vignette at 28 will not cut flare at 70

Mybe google mamiya g2 bellows lens hood
    i have a flare buster and arm that I haven't tried out yet. I worry a bit about flopping around and how quick it will be to adjust.

the kuvrd extends and collapses the rubber for different lenses

but now i look at the review again and they say it works much better with primes than with tromboning lenses.

7. Collapse Details
    You can always yank a flag out of the way if you a losing a shot while trying to set it.

For a 70mm plus you would be suprised how low it sits to be just out of frame.. that why IMO hoods are a bit dodgy on wide to tele zooms - they wont offer flare protection at the tele end.

Of course they help with dings in the mosh pit (remember them?)
    Last edited by morgan_moore; 04-08-2021 at 03:54 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Thanks, Abe. That's about the ugliest thing I've ever seen ;)... Hey, but if it works...

9. Collapse Details

So I bought the kuvrd universal lens hood for like $36 on amazon. It reminds me of a certain appendage I had removed at birth

The specific reason I got it was because I wanted to see if it would hold my 95mm variable nd filter in front of my sony 12-24mm lens, which has a bulbous front element and built-in hood and no screw-in filter threads.

It didn't work because even if I managed to wedge the filter right into place, there's vignetting from the hood at maximum retraction and probably a little from the filter itself. All in all, not totally thought out and measured on my part. So I'll have to get the rear filter fixed ND assembly from Haida made only for that lens

But I'm hoping it will be useful when my new Sony 50 GM arrives. I'll be stepping up from 72mm thread to 77mm filters and hoping that this hood can give me flare control while using the step up ring and hopefully still let me turn the vari ND filter. All in all, it's kind of a cool product, but I don't think it will work well on telescoping lenses and it also takes some time and finesse to get it on the lens, not a quick change. (But you can extend and retract the hood quickly once it's on the lens)

I've been using the flare buster hot shoe French flag assembly and it works well but if it's not resting against the top of the lens, it can bounce a little and cause some minor flashing of flare. Plus I dont keep it mounted, so it takes a quick minute to get it set up, whereas the kuvrd I will just leave married to the 50 if it works. And of course, the french flag only cuts flare from above, not useful for dings from below
    Last edited by ahalpert; 06-10-2021 at 12:16 PM.