Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    One word: plastics
    I prefer glass (for beer that is) if you're buying
    Last edited by Peter C.; 04-07-2021 at 03:36 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Just ran across this, if anyone's interested.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...?siteid=yhoof2

Several years ago, I was talking to a gentleman outside a supermarket. He was in South Florida temporarily, while undergoing a medical treatment. Then he said, "Normally, we spend out winters in Taiwan. The weather is similar and it's much cheaper. The only catch is that the locals prefer you spoke Chinese". My reply was, "Well, where do you spend summers?". He says, "Brest". That forced me into a double take. "Brest, France or Brest, Belarus?". "Brest, Belarus. My wife is from there".

Belarus was experiencing much less turmoil then bit I hark to my youth in our summer home and think how much I enjoyed it.

Not everyone's cup of tea, clearly, but can be an option for some.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Just ran across this, if anyone's interested.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...?siteid=yhoof2

Several years ago, I was talking to a gentleman outside a supermarket. He was in South Florida temporarily, while undergoing a medical treatment. Then he said, "Normally, we spend out winters in Taiwan. The weather is similar and it's much cheaper. The only catch is that the locals prefer you spoke Chinese". My reply was, "Well, where do you spend summers?". He says, "Brest". That forced me into a double take. "Brest, France or Brest, Belarus?". "Brest, Belarus. My wife is from there".

Belarus was experiencing much less turmoil then bit I hark to my youth in our summer home and think how much I enjoyed it.

Not everyone's cup of tea, clearly, but can be an option for some.
    I've seen similar articles about how to save money, but when you think about it, it's not feasible. Most people in their later years don't want to move to a foreign country that they don't know anyone or speak the native language just to save money. The story you related isn't the case either because he was born in Belarus. When you're young, don't have any ties, and want to explore the world sure, most people at retirement age care about their ties to their family and friends. It's one thing to spend the winters in Costa Rica it's another to permanently move there.

4. Collapse Details
    Actually, I was born in Belarus, then part of the USSR. The guy was an American.

But I agree in general. Beach living in Florida can be expensive but moving a few miles inland and away from the heavily populated Miami-Fort Lauderdale territory can be far more budget friendly.

I have several friends in California and I have brought up Florida retirement to them, as they're hitting their 60's. One prefers Arizona because he has a lot of family in the LA area. The other is agnostic but can afford his near beach side in San Diego. Off Zillow, I'd say that the best buys are in the Cocoa Beach and Destin areas.

5. Collapse Details
    Well, Paul - doggone it, thanks for ruining my retirement. My wife & I both have money stuck in a Roth IRA. Guess we're screwed.
    One of the reasons we were told it was a good way to go - so many years ago - was that our son had just been born - and it was another way to save for his college. I believe the reason being you can withdraw any principal amount without a penalty before retirement age. That son will start college this fall - and we are still a few years from retiring... although you have me wondering now if I should start making calculations... perhaps I'm closer to retiring than I thought I was.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by markfpv View Post
    ... perhaps I'm closer to retiring than I thought I was.
    Well beers to that! Yes, perhaps so.

Retiring is an eye opener like any life event. It's so bloody frustrating to gain all your wisdom when you don't need it. Before retirement I wondered if it was really going to work financially; were my calculations correct? Trust them. They are correct. I think the thing that made me question my estimates was how little money we really needed. It made us wonder where all the money was going before retirement. But I had had enough of the grind and wanted to enjoy life so I decided to take the plunge and hope for the best. Before I retired other retirees told me the same thing I am tell you; it's going to be ok and you won't need as much as you think.
    Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

7. Collapse Details
    Today's headline from Barron's - "Early Retirement is Not as Good as it Sounds. Advisors Need to Persuade Clients To Keep Working."

Oh man. I bust a gut when I read stuff like this. Get ready for an urgent call from your financial advisor who just read this article. No, I don't know what it says. But who cares. Talk about baiting your clicks. This one is a whopper.

Hey, if you love your job, by all means don't quit.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    ... diversify buy and hold quality assets for the long term.
    And that my friends is the only advice anyone should give or listen to. That is the best investment sentence there is. Wade into what Peter said. Do it.

We all know the story about the poor people who worked at Enron. Those poor folks really got sold a story. I also knew a guy that work at AT&T Bell Labs back in the day when they were a big deal. He put all his retirement in to AT&T stock. AT&T stock back then was the rock of Gibraltar. Nothing was more solid than AT&T stock. Then the company fell apart, Bell labs became a shell, he lost all his money and he is now in his 70's still working.

You can't take too many steps to diversify. Don't put all your money with one brokerage. No matter what size the company, it can either be a Ponzi scheme or go default (think Lehman brothers and Bernie Madoff). I think the least safe place to put your money is with a local guy. You know, the friend of the family; the church member who has a solid reputation. If you ever watched those old American Greed shows, you know that there is a Ponzi scheme brewing in every town in America. Time and time again, the trusted guy with the solid reputation ends up running a Ponzi scheme that ruins people's lives.

Spread the money around.

9. Collapse Details
    My retirement strategy 1. Pick six 2. Slip and fall 3. Someone always needs a green card 4. Keep five grand in sock drawer for Guatemala backwater beach bar 5. Cruise line gentleman companion 6. The world always needs dishwashers

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    All-in-all I think you have a solid portfolio. It's well diversified, lots of options, low risk, except for number 2. I'd say you're in good shape.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast